Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
This topic is about Anne of Green Gables
New School Classics- 1900-1999 > Anne of Green Gables - NO Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Christine (last edited Dec 04, 2015 08:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christine | 1217 comments Our December 2015 New School Group Read selection is Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. This thread is for general conversation and background related to this book. Please DO NOT post spoilers in this thread!

Free digital copies of this book are available from several sources.
Amazon.com
Amazon UK
Project Gutenberg
Librivox (multiple recordings available)

message 2: by Christine (last edited Dec 01, 2015 11:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christine | 1217 comments Who will be joining us in reading and discussing Anne of Green Gables this month? I know I read it as a child, but it was so long ago that I remembered nothing about it besides vague impressions. I just finished reading it again yesterday, and I am so pleased that I took the time to reread it. It's such a delightful story!

Philina | 1562 comments I will!
I've recently finished also this as an audio book.

message 4: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I've already committed to a re-read of the series next year so I won't be reading this time. I will, however, totally poke my nose in since was one of my favorite books as a kid. And apparently as an adult since I'm grinning from ear to ear.

Sarah | 587 comments I plan to! My mom loves it, so I figured its high time I checked it out.

message 6: by Jan (new)

Jan Magyar (ianmagyar) I'll definitely give it a try. I must admit that I haven't heard about it so far, but I'm curious about this apparently very popular children's novel.

message 7: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob | 4912 comments Mod
I plan on reading this, it will be the last of the few books my mother told me see loved when she was a girl.

message 8: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah It is absolutely WONDERFUL! Anne gets up to such accidental hijinks and she's so dramatic and high-spirited that she makes me laugh repeatedly.

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2051 comments I plan to start it this week
Its Been in my tbr since a long time

message 10: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam (aramsamsam) | 309 comments This is one of my favourite books. I've loved the series since I was kid. Anne is one of the rare fictional characters I really wish could be real.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I'm starting today.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Holy cow! Anne is prone to lengthy monologues! Sheesh.

message 13: by Myst (new) - rated it 5 stars

Myst | 173 comments Yes she is. Doesn't it just make you want to tell her to take a breath...I kept reading her stuff really fast as I can just imagine her rattling it off with hardly a chance to breathe.

Jalilah I couldn't wait and went ahead and read it last month. I loved it and will be joining the discussions.

message 15: by Jalilah (last edited Sep 23, 2016 04:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jalilah Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Holy cow! Anne is prone to lengthy monologues! Sheesh."

I absolutely loved the way she talked!

message 16: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Holy cow! Anne is prone to lengthy monologues! Sheesh."

I had to memorize one of those in school and perform it in front of the classroom. I didn't make it through the whole thing without choking. Surprising, isn't it?

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2051 comments Yea started it today...

Anne  (annwiththee) | 7 comments I'm going to start it today! And call me silly but I'm a little excited at the prospect of reading about a heroine who bears the same name with me. I've never come across my name in any of the books I've read!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments If Anne were real and I had to spend any time with her, I'd go nuts!

message 20: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah You don't want to be her bosom friend?

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2051 comments Poor anne.you dont have imagination at all andrea....if you dont want to ve her bosom friend ... :p her life becomes a graveyard of hopes and she will burst into tears * sigh*

Anne  (annwiththee) | 7 comments I've finished, and I loved it! But Christ Anne is so talkative!!! I'd like to think I could stand her chattering because I'm reading them off the pages of a book. In reality, I don't think it's possible to keep sanity while listening to her run her mouth. Her other fine qualities made up for her talkativeness though, and even her talkativeness can be classified as a fine quality when I'm not getting annoyed or exasperated by it. She always had the most lovely and bright things to say, ridiculous but bright things all the same.

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2051 comments I know reading her constant chatter iss sweet t.her grudge holding is not nice.poor gilbert!!!

Sarah | 587 comments Anne wrote: "I've finished, and I loved it! But Christ Anne is so talkative!!! I'd like to think I could stand her chattering because I'm reading them off the pages of a book. In reality, I don't think it's pos..."

I know. I'm only a little way in and already I'm wondering if Anne ever actually stops to take a breath in between all that chattering!

Anne  (annwiththee) | 7 comments Sarah wrote: "Anne wrote: "I've finished, and I loved it! But Christ Anne is so talkative!!! I'd like to think I could stand her chattering because I'm reading them off the pages of a book. In reality, I don't t..."

Ahahaha. You'll find out time and time again that the answer is no :)

Bookishnymph *needs hea* (bookishnymphneedshea) | 13 comments Re-reading this, I see why I liked it so such as a girl. Looking back I was a lot like Anne. I was that girl that had a "healthy" imagination, and talked too much.

Bookishnymph *needs hea* (bookishnymphneedshea) | 13 comments This book was just what I needed; it's brought back so many happy memories. With the world so awful right now, it was just the sweet breath of air I needed.
Now that I've said that, I'd like to ask who is everyone's favorite character (besides Anne).
I like Matthew. He's so sweet and quite, he seems the perfect partner to Anne's chattiness. :)

Bookishnymph *needs hea* (bookishnymphneedshea) | 13 comments Anne wrote: "I'm going to start it today! And call me silly but I'm a little excited at the prospect of reading about a heroine who bears the same name with me. I've never come across my name in any of the book..."

I don't think that's silly at all. :)

Anne  (annwiththee) | 7 comments Reading Faerie wrote: "Anne wrote: "I'm going to start it today! And call me silly but I'm a little excited at the prospect of reading about a heroine who bears the same name with me. I've never come across my name in an..."

Thaaaanks :))

Sarah. B I finally got my hands on a copy of this, so will be starting it soon. First time reading it.

Nathan | 421 comments I've started this and I really like it so far. Anne is a total chatterbox, but I don't think it would bother me to be around her. If I said to her, "I'd like to read in silence for the next two hours," she wouldn't make a peep and I don't think she'd be hurt. But once it's time to talk again...

message 32: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah My parents used to do that to me and it actually did work. I knew there was a reason that Anne was my hero!

Susan O (sozmore) I'm about 70 pages in and am finding it delightful. I know we were talking about October, but when I saw a couple of others were going ahead I couldn't wait. :)

message 34: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Sep 23, 2016 10:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob | 4912 comments Mod
This is one of those books that slip away. I wanted to read it last year and just let others books take priority. This is one of my mothers favorites, she reread the whole series last year. I want to see if I can learn why she likes so much. I planned earlier in the year to read it this year, it's one of my catch up on the shelf reads for '16. We'll see.

Renee | 864 comments This was one of my favourites when I was younger. I read my copy so many times I started to wear it out! I never read the whole series though, and probably should look into reading the others. I know I read the first two for sure, and think I read Anne of the Island, but am not positive. I'm looking forward to reading it again.

message 36: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3174 comments Bob wrote: "This is one of those books that slip away. I wanted to read it last year and just let others books take priority. This is one of my mothers favorites, she reread the whole series last year. I want ..."

I hope you read it Bob. It's so good and many men have commented how wonderful it is too so it's not just for girls ; )

message 37: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3174 comments Renee wrote: "This was one of my favourites when I was younger. I read my copy so many times I started to wear it out! I never read the whole series though, and probably should look into reading the others. I kn..."

I'm absolutely loving this but I'm not a series person and shy away from reading anything that's a series. I'm glad I'm reading this, but I won't read another in this series (anytime soon anyway). I think Ms. Montgomery has given me enough to imagine the rest. ; )

message 38: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3174 comments Susan wrote: "I'm about 70 pages in and am finding it delightful. I know we were talking about October, but when I saw a couple of others were going ahead I couldn't wait. :)"

Glad you were able to start Susan. I felt guilty starting early but I I'm doing an audible with this one and had some long drives and needed something to listen to.

Renee | 864 comments Sue wrote: "Renee wrote: "This was one of my favourites when I was younger. I read my copy so many times I started to wear it out! I never read the whole series though, and probably should look into reading th..."

I didn't know there were so many in the series. I may read a few, but I don't know if I'll read all of them. The first book will always be my favourite.

Jalilah After reading the first I went on and read the second. I'd eventually like to read them all!

message 41: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 257 comments I'm one of the few people who has never read this. I look forward to it.

Loretta | 2668 comments Sherry wrote: "I'm one of the few people who has never read this. I look forward to it."

I've never read this either Sherry. Looking forward too! :)

Susan O (sozmore) Sherry wrote: "I'm one of the few people who has never read this. I look forward to it."

Looks like you're not alone Sherry. It's my first time reading it as well.

message 44: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 257 comments It's nice to have company. :-)

message 45: by Cleo (last edited Sep 24, 2016 09:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 129 comments Sue wrote: "I'm absolutely loving this but I'm not a series person and shy away from reading anything that's a series. I'm glad I'm reading this, but I won't read another in this series (anytime soon anyway). I think Ms. Montgomery has given me enough to imagine the rest. ; ) ..."

I read the whole series about 5 years ago. I find that the books definitely get weaker as they go along, but I would highly recommend Rilla of Ingleside. Before I started it, I didn't have high expectations, but I found that it shows a more mature tone in Montgomery's writing, is well constructed and gives a unique insight into a small Canadian town during the events of World War I. I think I liked it just a little more than Anne of Green Gables and that's saying something! :-)

Susan O (sozmore) Thanks Cleo. I am a series person and have them because of a Kindle collection. Good to know about Rilla. If I decide the entire series isn't worth continuing, I'll make sure to read that one.

Lilly | 518 comments I read Anne of Green gables several years ago, but back then Anne's talkative way and all her imaginings annoyed me a little bit. - So I didn't get the other books. - I like her better now. ^^

Did anyone read the Story Girl/ Sara in Avonlea series? I read some of the books as a kid and just loved them. - I always thought "Materializing of Duncan McTavish" to be the funniest ... :D

message 48: by Blueberry (new) - added it

Blueberry (blueberry1) PBS is showing a new Anne of Green Gables on Thanksgiving.

message 49: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 257 comments Blueberry that's wonderful!

message 50: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim Townsend | 159 comments I've never read it either, and found out on an August, 2006 visit to Prince Edward Island (where the novel is set), that I am distantly (like second cousin twice removed) related to its author.

Jim

« previous 1

Catching up on Classics (and lots more!)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Anne of Green Gables (other topics)
Rilla of Ingleside (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

L.M. Montgomery (other topics)