Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
This topic is about Anne of Green Gables
New School Classics- 1900-1999 > Anne of Green Gables - SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Christine | 1217 comments This thread is for discussion of the content of our December 2015 New School Group Read selection, Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. Feel free to post spoilers in this thread.

Desertorum I read this last spring (?) and it was my first time ever. I think many have read this in school (or when they were young) but in Finland I had heard the name but didn´t read it.
But end up really liking it. First I thought it was little slow going but for me the characters made the story. I have now read two of the series and planning on reading the next one.

message 3: by Christine (last edited Dec 01, 2015 11:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christine | 1217 comments I finished it yesterday, and I really liked it too, Desertorum! I did read it as a child, but didn't really remember much about it. Anne's melodrama and hijinks had me giggling the whole way through! I could see this book being adapted into a sitcom - "The One with the Cake", "The One Where Diana Gets Drunk", etc. I really liked Marilla and Matthew as characters too, and they broke my heart at the end of the book. I listed to an audio edition narrated by Kate Burton and she did a wonderful job giving a distinctive voice to each of the characters.

message 4: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam (aramsamsam) | 309 comments I know the whole series and read it multiple times. Have you noticed how much they eat in this book? I just love all the unhealthy (but undoubtedly tasty) food that is in there.
Did you see the Who would you invite for dinner post on the Goodreads blog? I'd definietly love to be invited by the Cuthberts :)

Katie Kostek (kkostek) I first read this years ago for school and fell in love with the book! I've read it several times but am still amazed by Anne's point of view of life. "Call me Cordelia," "I hope Diana will be my bosom friend," and other sayings like this make me rethink and change my perspective on life.

Katie Kostek (kkostek) Also, I agree that it would make a good sitcom.

Myst | 173 comments Was it just me or was the 5-7pm meal called tea? Not supper, or dinner as a meal around those hours is usually called.

I usually think of tea as a 3-4pm deal.

And the amount of snacks baked for tea, or for the picnic was astonishing. I got tired thinking of baking that much, let alone washing the dishes!

Jalilah This is a book I some how missed as a child. I read it for the first time last month ( I could not wait until December). It's a sweet charming book. I loved the language and of course Anne!

message 9: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah She's one of the best girl characters out there :)

Laurie | 1632 comments I think my first and most enduring image of Anne was a person who has an absolute love of life. She has an irrepressible spirit that is both exhausting and enervating. I loved this entire series of books.

Philina | 1562 comments I think for the lower classes dinner was the hot meal in the middle of the day. The higher classes had a hot meal in the evening. I don't know if that was called tea or also dinner.

Isn't there a difference between tea and high tea?

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2052 comments Mrs rachels a busybody.reminded me of aunt petunia

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2052 comments I am liking anne...very sweet...
All her questions ....

Matthew abd marillas not bat either

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Children certainly do not have long memories.

I'm at the point after Anne's " incident" with that awful Mrs Rachel and is refusing to Marilla to make an apology and won't eat her meals.

Anne seems to have forgotten that very recently she was on the point of being sent back to the asylum. I guess this is not proof of being obliging to her guardians.

message 15: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Wasn't this after Rachael commented on her hair?

message 16: by Melanti (last edited Dec 03, 2015 08:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melanti | 2384 comments Phil wrote: "I think for the lower classes dinner was the hot meal in the middle of the day. The higher classes had a hot meal in the evening. I don't know if that was called tea or also dinner.

Isn't there a..."

I've always understood "dinner" to be the bigger/heavier meal of lunch/supper. So if your lunch was a hot meal and supper something like sandwiches or leftovers, lunch would be "dinner".

"Tea" or "Afternoon Tea" is supposed to be a light meal - snacks, pastries, small light sandwiches and of course, tea. Somewhere between 3-5. It's more of a socializing type thing for the upper class.

I think they had an actual supper served later. 8-9 pm?

"High Tea" has more substantial foods. So it was also more for the middle/lower class - people who've been out laboring all day long and arrive home after work starving and want more to eat than just cucumber sandwiches. Which is another reason the lower classes would have "dinner" at noon. Bigger lunch, heavy high tea, and supper is something really light before going to bed.

Or, the upper class might have a high tea if it was their cook's night off and there wouldn't be a proper supper that night.

That's the original definitions, though, and I think everything is all muddled together in modern vernacular.

Philina | 1562 comments Thank you for the explanation, Melanti!

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2052 comments Sarah wrote: "Wasn't this after Rachael commented on her hair?"

Yeah....she still is not apologizing ...

message 19: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah She's VERY sensitive about her hair. Anything else she could probably forgive. And Rachael was just flat out rude anyway.

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2052 comments I do agree.rachel deserved what she got.i liked matthew saying that its time she got what she deserved meddlesome gossip that she is.

Also the twitching of marillas lips whenever she thought of it...

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2052 comments "It left a dreadful sort of goneness ,too."

" its terrible lonesome downstairs without you"

Loved Annes apology

message 22: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara (phantomswife) | 5044 comments Mod
I read this many years ago when I was quite young. I watched the PBS series and I find that as I am reading it again I hear Megan Fellows voice in my head. Which is lovely because she caught the essence of Anne so well. I imagine the humor of Anne is more pronounced for me as an adult than it would have been as a child. I probably would have taken her more seriously.

When you look up imagination in the dictionary Anne's photo should be there. Even her apology is melodramatic. I think the descriptions of Marilla reacting to being kissed are so sweet. She filled up an empty place in Matthew and Marilla's lives.

Bookishnymph *needs hea* (bookishnymphneedshea) | 13 comments I enjoyed all the descriptions of nature in the beginning. And, of course, The White Way of Delight and The Lake of Shining Waters. ;)

Sarah | 587 comments siriusedward wrote: "I do agree.rachel deserved what she got.i liked matthew saying that its time she got what she deserved meddlesome gossip that she is.

Also the twitching of marillas lips whenever she thought of it..."

Rachel Lynde did have it coming for being so rude.

I do like how Matthew takes Anne's side so often, even if it is fairly quietly. And there are times you know Marilla wants to do so, but it wouldn't be "proper".

Christine | 1217 comments I really, really liked Matthew. He is my favorite character in the book, I think.

message 26: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam (aramsamsam) | 309 comments Christine wrote: "I really, really liked Matthew. He is my favorite character in the book, I think."

He's great. I love how he becomes really quiet when he disagrees with Marilla. What a strategy! Of course it's not a strategy for him, it's just how he is.

message 27: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah wrote: "I do like how Matthew takes Anne's side so often, even if it is fairly quietly. And there are times you know Marilla wants to do so, but it wouldn't be "proper".

And Marilla uses Matthew as an out. She can be lenient with Anne and blame it on Matthew, when it is what she really wants to do herself.

Jalilah Christine wrote: "I really, really liked Matthew. He is my favorite character in the book, I think."

Yes I liked him a lot too.
Marilla really got on my nerves sometimes. I felt so bad for the way she sometimes talked to Anne. However her ( Marillas) trasformation, how she changes from not really wanting Anne and finding her annoying to loving and appreciating her, was portrayed well.

message 29: by Sarah (last edited Dec 10, 2015 01:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 587 comments Jalilah wrote: "Christine wrote: "I really, really liked Matthew. He is my favorite character in the book, I think."

Yes I liked him a lot too.
Marilla really got on my nerves sometimes. I felt so bad for the wa..."

I would probably be Marilla in this case. The things Anne manages to get herself into would drive me up the wall! Matthew is way more patient with her than I could be.

Katie Kostek (kkostek) siriusedward wrote: "I do agree.rachel deserved what she got.i liked matthew saying that its time she got what she deserved meddlesome gossip that she is.

Also the twitching of marillas lips whenever she thought of it..."

I agree that Rachel was rude in the way that she said what she said but it was nothing more than a fact that Anne has red hair. It's not like when Gilbert Blythe called her "carrots, carrots" that was just rude and insinuated that her hair was orange like a clowns. Although her reaction to that may have also been a bit too much. But as a twelve year old girl learning to control her temper Anne is going to do things that are outside the social expectations and may even hurt someone.

Katie Kostek (kkostek) Sara wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I do like how Matthew takes Anne's side so often, even if it is fairly quietly. And there are times you know Marilla wants to do so, but it wouldn't be "proper".

And Marilla uses Mat..."

I've never really thought about it that way but you're right. Marilla does often use Matthew as a scapegoat. If it's something she thinks would look bad as a guardian's decision, she says it's all on Matthew.

Katie Kostek (kkostek) Does anyone else find Diana's Aunt Josephine to be just like an old lady in their family or that they know. She was so cranky to the Barrys about what happened but when Anne explained it using her imagination and all those large words, she softened right away and agreed to stay as long as Anne would visit. Why does it always seem to take someone else saying the same thing to change people's minds?

Sarah | 587 comments Katie wrote: "Sara wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I do like how Matthew takes Anne's side so often, even if it is fairly quietly. And there are times you know Marilla wants to do so, but it wouldn't be "proper".

And Mar..."

If you think about it in the context of the time, that makes a lot of sense. If anyone ever said anything and Marilla "blamed" Matthew for the decision, whoever it was would by sympathetic. Back then the attitude would have been that Matthew was a man and therefore couldn't possibly have known anything about raising a child anyway, especially a girl. But a man is stubborn and changing his mind is impossible, so really it wasn't Marilla's fault for his decision. Here have some tea and cake, dear. That's pretty much how it would have played out.

Katie Kostek (kkostek) That makes sense the way you say it

Jalilah Another thing I really appreciated about this book is the description of nature. Montgomery made Prince Edward Island seem like the most beautiful place in the world. I have never been there before, but heard it's a lovely place. Reading this book just transported me there. I could just see all the scenery, the trees, fields, hills, flowers etc.

Jalilah How many of you have read Anne of Avonlea?
I feel like staying in her world a little longer and reading it.

message 37: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jalilah wrote: "Another thing I really appreciated about this book is the description of nature. Montgomery made Prince Edward Island seem like the most beautiful place in the world. I have never been there before..."

I so agree. Montgomery paints Prince Edward Island so clearly that you can feel the air and smell the blossoms. I also downloaded Anne of Avonlea. I don't know when I will get to it, but eventually I would like to read all the Anne books.

message 38: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I've read them all but this was always the one I read the most. They're all good and Avonlea was my second favorite.

message 39: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah wrote: "I've read them all but this was always the one I read the most. They're all good and Avonlea was my second favorite."

I think this one was the only one I read when I was young. If I read the others I don't have any recollection of it. Of course, when you reach my age you don't have a recollection of a lot of things you did back then. lol.

message 40: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I still have the copies from when I was a kid :) The first three are worn and yellowed to varying degrees and 4-6 look pristine!

message 41: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah wrote: "I still have the copies from when I was a kid :) The first three are worn and yellowed to varying degrees and 4-6 look pristine!"

My goodness, I didn't know there were six. I was only thinking three. I have books like that. My original of Little Women is so worn it really cannot be read any more. I have a nice clean version as well, for re-reading from time to time.

message 42: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah That's a good plan :) There were six with Anne and then I think three with her daughter but I haven't read those quite yet.

Katie Kostek (kkostek) I've never really liked the ending from the point Matthew dies because other than Anne, he was my favorite character. Also, Anne has to give up her dreams in order to take care of Marilla who might become blind.

But does anyone else find the scene where Anne is crying and Marilla finally tells her that she loves her to be the most heartfelt and amazing part of the story?

Sarah | 587 comments Katie wrote: "I've never really liked the ending from the point Matthew dies because other than Anne, he was my favorite character. Also, Anne has to give up her dreams in order to take care of Marilla who might..."

Everything about the ending pretty much broke my heart.
Matthew was definitely my favorite.
And yeah, it was about time for Marilla to 'fess up on that count.

message 45: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katie wrote: "I've never really liked the ending from the point Matthew dies because other than Anne, he was my favorite character. Also, Anne has to give up her dreams in order to take care of Marilla who might..."

Ah, but the story isn't really over, so Anne's willingness to sacrifice for Marilla in return for what Matthew and Marilla gave her isn't the end of her story or the end of her opportunities.

It took a lot for Marilla to express her love for Anne and I also found it to be a very moving scene.

message 46: by Kim (new)

Kim (crossreactivity) Katie wrote: "I've never really liked the ending from the point Matthew dies because other than Anne, he was my favorite character. Also, Anne has to give up her dreams in order to take care of Marilla who might become blind."

I love the ending because it shows Anne stepping up and shouldering adult responsibility. She knows what she owes Matthew and Marilla, and she's willing to set aside her immediate plans to do the right thing. Best of all, she does it with characteristic joy and optimism.

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2052 comments Christine wrote: "I really, really liked Matthew. He is my favorite character in the book, I think."

Mine too.....i wish there was someone for him...

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2052 comments Sarah wrote: "Katie wrote: "I've never really liked the ending from the point Matthew dies because other than Anne, he was my favorite character. Also, Anne has to give up her dreams in order to take care of Mar..."
Mine too...love Matthew

message 49: by Phil (new) - rated it 3 stars

Phil Jensen | 627 comments I've been listening to a lot of the girlier classics in the car with my wife recently. This is my favorite so far- better than Little Women or anything by Jane Austen. I thought Montgomery's mastery of tone and character were perfect. She was able to evoke the bittersweetness of growing up without getting smarmy. The characters- including the adults- were realistically drawn. I felt like I was spending time with real people.

The sequels are definitely less awesome. Anne of Avonlea was especially annoying. That being said, I'm probably not the target audience, so the fact that I enjoyed the first one so much is more surprising than how little I enjoyed the sequels.

Oh, and PS- the 80s TV adaption is essential. Megan Fellowes nailed it!

Sarah | 587 comments Phil wrote: "I've been listening to a lot of the girlier classics in the car with my wife recently. This is my favorite so far- better than Little Women or anything by Jane Austen. I thought Montgomery's master..."

My mom loves that adaptation. When I told her I was reading the book she highly recommended that I check it out. I remember her watching them a lot when I was growing up. Even my dad enjoyed watching it with her on occasion and he rarely likes that stuff.

« previous 1