Brantford Public Library's Online Book Club discussion

Circling the Sun
This topic is about Circling the Sun
Circling the Sun > Next Stop - KENYA

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod
Circling the Sun is a very satisfying read in two ways. The first is being allowed a glimpse into Beryl Markham's Life. She was an incredible, determined women who was way ahead of her time.

Secondly there is the enjoyment the reader gets from the setting of the book. McLain does a wonderful job putting the sights and sounds of Africa on the page for us.

This book also offers an interesting look into the social structures of Colonial Africa. Fans of the wonderful story OUT OF AFRICA will get to re-visit favourite characters in new ways.

Overall, Circling the Sun is an informative and highly enjoyable book to read.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Colleen | 101 comments I'm really looking forward to reading this book!

Kathryn (kdrury) | 112 comments wonderful read - really takes you places - places I'll never get to.
I can only imagine the amount of research that went into the preparation of putting this book together.

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments One of my favourite books was "Out of Africa" ; it's lyrical, profound in thought; her writing touched my soul. The movie with Meryl Streep and Robert Redford is a magical piece, one of my all time favourites. I have watched it repeatedly. I can see some of the main scenes in my mind's eye; Finch Haten washing Karen Blixen's hair on safari, the flight they take together; such a beautifully filmed/acted/produced film. And now I am going to meet the woman who comes between these two lovers, characters whose love I have believed in for 30 years. I am looking forward to this book but it's going to be tough.

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments Karen wrote: "One of my favourite books was "Out of Africa" ; it's lyrical, profound in thought; her writing touched my soul. The movie with Meryl Streep and Robert Redford is a magical piece, one of my all time..."

The first thing I did when I finished the book was watch that fabulous movie. Couldn't get Robert Redford out of my head through the whole book (which wasn't the worst thing)

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments I have always adored Redford. His smile stays with me.