Mount TBR 2016 discussion

Level 3: Mt. Vancouver (36) > Kiki can do this!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kiki (last edited Oct 31, 2016 06:15AM) (new)

Kiki | 9 comments Alright, let's see how this will go! First try! 36 to go off that TBR pile!

Books to definitely get rid of:
Maya's Notebook by Isabel Allende The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith The Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1) by Samantha Shannon 1813 - Kriegsfeuer by Sabine Ebert 1815 - Blutfrieden by Sabine Ebert Das Erbe der Kaffeeprinzessin (German Edition) by Karin Engel Als wir unsterblich waren by Charlotte Roth Die Wundärztin by Heidi Rehn Hexengold by Heidi Rehn Bernsteinerbe by Heidi Rehn A God in Every Stone by Kamila Shamsie Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby The Zone of Interest by Martin Amis The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street by Susan Jane Gilman Die Muschelsammlerin  by Katryn Berlinger Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult Das Lied des Wasserfalls Roman by Sofia Caspari Das Haus am Himmelsrand by Bettina Storks Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle, #2) by Christopher Paolini Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle, #3) by Christopher Paolini The Great Glass Sea by Josh Weil Fünf (Beatrice Kaspary, #1) by Ursula Poznanski Stimmen (Beatrice Kaspary, #3) by Ursula Poznanski Sonea - Die Hüterin (Die Saga von Sonea, #1) by Trudi Canavan Sonea - Die Heilerin (Die Saga von Sonea, #2) by Trudi Canavan

Unterleuten - Juli Zeh
Großer Bruder Zorn - Johannes Ehrmann

message 3: by Bev (new)

Bev | 715 comments Mod
Yes, you can do this!

message 4: by Kiki (new)

Kiki | 9 comments 1. Broken Juliet (Starcrossed, #2) by Leisa Rayven this one I had started mid of 2015, but put it away after 60pages. I liked the first one a lot because, having been in a drama club, the world of acting has always held a special attraction for me. The second part is the continuation of the love story of Cassie and Ethan, or let's say the continuation of why their problems... I like the way it is set in today's theater production with both of them staring and consists half of flashbacks to their time together at the drama school. However, I always get annoyed rather fast when characters are indecisive and the story is artificially dragged into length by tackling the same argument again and again. But all in all a light romance read.

message 5: by Kiki (new)

Kiki | 9 comments 2. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr This one has been on my list for so long and I ordered it only in december, when it was reduced in price... I started it January 3rd and finished it in three days, since it was such a captivating story set in the times of World War II. The reader gets to adore the blind, but oh so clever, protagonist Marie-Laure instantly and I couldn't stop wanting to read what happens to ingenious Werner. As a German it is always peculiar to read stories from that time, but I loved the perspective Doerr chose. Although he didn't diminish the cruelties the Nazis did he wouldn't be to openly blaming the whole German nation for what happened. Rather, he had the 10year old Jutta question the sympathizing and peer pressure like behaviour.
I think this book absolutely deserves all the good critiques it got and is a stylistically wonderful novel!

message 6: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (janeycanuck) | 39 comments Kiki wrote: "2. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr This one has been on my list for so long and I ordered it only in december, when it was reduced in price..."

I have this out from the library on audio right now and it's not doing it for me. I'm not far in - did it catch you right away or did it take a bit to grab you? Everyone raves about this, I wonder if it's just the audio that I have a problem with and should switch to a paper copy.

message 7: by Kiki (new)

Kiki | 9 comments Colleen wrote: "Kiki wrote: "2. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr This one has been on my list for so long and I ordered it only in december, when it was reduced in price..."

I have this out from t..."

Only saw your comment now... Did it catch you in the end? or did you put it away? For me it didn't take long. I fell for the characters instantly... maybe it is the topic though? it can be rather difficult to open up to it?

message 8: by Kiki (new)

Kiki | 9 comments 8. The Moonlit Garden by Corina Bomann
This is such a wonderful story about a violin that is handed down from mothers to daughters and spans not only from Europe to Asia, but more over from 1900 to 2011.
A wonderful read that explores Sumatra and its culture and paints a great picture of the women's life and their aspirations. I love Indonesia. I play the violin. For me this is the perfect read!!!

message 9: by Kiki (new)

Kiki | 9 comments 12. Just One Day (Just One Day, #1) by Gayle Forman
Allyson is on a Europetrip and meets actor Willem who spontaneously spents one day with her in Paris. In the morning he is gone, Alyson goes back to America and spends her first college year trying to get over him before deciding t go back to Paris to find him.
I hated the first 350pages of the book! She is so annoying and doesnt seem to have either dreams or opinions of her own. Additionally I did not like the writing much. However, when she goes back to Paris it finally started catching my attention and likes. So I might actually go for the sequel, since it is going to be Willems point of view.