Poldark Saga - Winston Graham discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Suggest a banner/masthead

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya, Moderator/Hostess (last edited Dec 01, 2015 06:44AM) (new)

Tanya | 640 comments Mod
I've been learning more about what it means to be a group moderator and found that other groups have an eye-catching banner/masthead across the top of their page. I think we need one, but I need your help! Please go to the Polls page and vote for one of the suggestions listed, or type your own. This poll closes on Dec. 15.

Here are some examples on other pages
Picture
Words

message 2: by Sarah-Vita (new)

Sarah-Vita Tanya, I make my own artwork and collages quite often. I did the collage for my facebook page: "Romelza" myself. If you would like one for this group, I'd be more than happy to create something!! :) :)

message 3: by Tanya, Moderator/Hostess (new)

Tanya | 640 comments Mod
Sarah-Vita wrote: "Tanya, I make my own artwork and collages quite often. I did the collage for my facebook page: "Romelza" myself. If you would like one for this group, I'd be more than happy to create something!! :..."
What a wonderful idea! When we decide what type of thing we want, we'll have to pay attention to copyright laws, etc. Apparently Goodreads frowns upon anything that might violate a copyright. ;-)

message 4: by Sarah-Vita (new)

Sarah-Vita Tanya wrote: "Sarah-Vita wrote: "Tanya, I make my own artwork and collages quite often. I did the collage for my facebook page: "Romelza" myself. If you would like one for this group, I'd be more than happy to c..."

Okay! :) I can definitely whip up something that won't interfere with copyright. Just let me know if/when you get it sorted :) :)

message 5: by Tanya, Moderator/Hostess (new)

Tanya | 640 comments Mod
Sarah-Vita: right now the poll is running equal for an image of Cornwall and one of the TV show, with additional votes/comments about "something" to do with the books. What if we had 1) a scenic picture of the Cornish coast from a photographer that has invited sharing of his work 2) with a black silhouette of a couple (one of them in a tricorn hat) like this one superimposed

and 3) a book quote running along the bottom such as "If we could only stop life for a while I would stop here." ~ Ross Poldark by Winston Graham

message 6: by Tanya, Moderator/Hostess (new)

Tanya | 640 comments Mod
Recommended pixels for a masthead is 970x245

message 7: by Tanya, Moderator/Hostess (new)

Tanya | 640 comments Mod
Kernow Photo on Facebook has a number of great images and is only asking that we credit them, so that seems like a good place to avoid copyright infringement. "Please feel free to SHARE/COMMENT/TAG/LIKE. All I ask is that you credit KernowPhoto and like my page in return."

message 9: by Tanya, Moderator/Hostess (last edited Dec 02, 2015 12:18PM) (new)

Tanya | 640 comments Mod
This one even has silhouetted people on horses!

message 10: by Tanya, Moderator/Hostess (last edited Dec 03, 2015 07:08AM) (new)

Tanya | 640 comments Mod
Just messing around with ideas (click to see a larger version)

message 11: by Sarah-Vita (new)

Sarah-Vita Cool!! I've got some ideas floating around in my head :) :) I'll see what I can come up with. If I make more than one, you can pick the one you like, and please feel free to critique, request, and even ask for a total re-do! :)

message 12: by Sarah-Vita (new)

Sarah-Vita It won't let me post the image here in the comment, but here is the link to it:

https://41.media.tumblr.com/050f4ecc8...

message 13: by Tanya, Moderator/Hostess (last edited Dec 02, 2015 07:51PM) (new)

Tanya | 640 comments Mod
Sarah-Vita wrote: "It won't let me post the image here in the comment
I know the "secret codes" and I couldn't get it to post either. Then I tried to upload it as a masthead and got a message that the picture did not pass the "virus check." Interesting....

message 14: by Tanya, Moderator/Hostess (new)

Tanya | 640 comments Mod
I tried several other things and Goodreads just does not seem to like that image!

message 15: by Sarah-Vita (new)

Sarah-Vita Okay, how's this one? It's the same thing, but a little bigger:

https://40.media.tumblr.com/e10977094...

message 16: by Tanya, Moderator/Hostess (last edited Dec 03, 2015 07:08AM) (new)

Tanya | 640 comments Mod
(Click to see a larger version)

message 17: by Tanya, Moderator/Hostess (last edited Dec 03, 2015 07:13AM) (new)

Tanya | 640 comments Mod
Sarah-Vita wrote: "Okay, how's this one? It's the same thing, but a little bigger
We'll definitely include it in the discussion. If it's used, there will need to be some adjustments for it to fit the space, but we can work on that later.
(Reference message from Goodreads: Photos must be between 1KB and 6MB and of type (jpg/jpeg/gif/png/tiff/tif) and at least 970px wide by 245px high)

message 18: by Sarah-Vita (new)

Sarah-Vita Okay :) Let me know if you need anything else, or an entirely new piece altogether!

message 19: by Tanya, Moderator/Hostess (new)

Tanya | 640 comments Mod
Sarah-Vita wrote: "Okay :) Let me know if you need anything else, or an entirely new piece altogether!"
FYI--the Ross/Demelza sihouette image is courtesy of Nick Kenyon (@Njkfoto on Twitter). Just making a note in case we use it!

message 20: by Sarah-Vita (new)

Sarah-Vita Okay.

message 21: by Tanya, Moderator/Hostess (new)

Tanya | 640 comments Mod

message 22: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Smiser | 121 comments NOT MY FAVORITE AS THE IMAGE OF ST. MICHAEL'S MOUNT IS NEVER MENTIONED IN WG'S BOOKS. ONE OF THE HEADLANDS WOULD BE MORE POLDARK-ISH...IN MY OPINION...THE COPY IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE LINES FROM BOOK ONE...

message 23: by Tanya, Moderator/Hostess (new)

Tanya | 640 comments Mod
Victoria wrote: "ONE OF THE HEADLANDS WOULD BE MORE POLDARK-ISH...IN MY OPINION..."
Do you know where we could find a picture of "one of the headlands?" I've never been to Cornwall so I don't even know what the means!

message 24: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Smiser | 121 comments OHHHHH SORRY HEADLANDS ARE JUST CLIFFS, LIKE AROUND NAMPARA COVE OR ANY OF THE IMAGES YOU HAVE POSTED ABOVE....

message 25: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Smiser | 121 comments TANYA...I DID NOT MEAN TO SOUND EGOTISTICAL ABOUT "KNOWING" CORNWALL. I HAVE NEVER BEEN, HOWEVER, FOR THE PAST SEVERAL MONTHS I HAVE BEEN BEGINNING TO PLAN A VISIT FOR LATE NEXT YEAR. SOMETHING I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO DO SINCE I WAS ELEVEN YEARS OLD. THUS I HAVE BEEN POURING OVER MAPS AND SITES ETC. THAT IS THE ONLY REASON I KNEW ABOUT ST. MICHAEL'S MOUNT NOT BEING MENTIONED IN THE BOOKS....

message 26: by Tanya, Moderator/Hostess (new)

Tanya | 640 comments Mod
Victoria wrote: "TANYA...I DID NOT MEAN TO SOUND EGOTISTICAL ABOUT "KNOWING" CORNWALL. I HAVE NEVER BEEN, HOWEVER, FOR THE PAST SEVERAL MONTHS I HAVE BEEN BEGINNING TO PLAN A VISIT FOR LATE NEXT YEAR."
Doesn't matter where you get your knowledge, I appreciate the input. I do believe we have a person from Cornwall in our group--I hope she shares her insight!

message 27: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 8 comments A picture of Cornwall showing a mine would be good.

message 28: by Tanya, Moderator/Hostess (last edited Jan 25, 2016 09:41AM) (new)

Tanya | 640 comments Mod
We have a banner! Thanks to group member Sarah-Vita (aka poldarked-fangirl on Youtube and Romelza on Facebook) for her patience working within the Goodreads masthead sizing requirements and to all of you that voted in the poll and provided suggestions. Check it out at the top of the main page!

message 29: by Sarah-Vita (last edited Mar 17, 2016 03:18PM) (new)

Sarah-Vita Tanya wrote: "We have a banner! Thanks to group member Sarah-Vita (aka poldarked-fangirl on Youtube and Romelza on Facebook) for her patience working within the Goodreads masthead sizing requirements and to all ..."

I'm so very glad that you like it, Tanya, and I hope everyone else will too! It's a pleasure to share my love of graphics and Poldark with you all!! <3 ^_^

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.