Bailey's/Orange Women's Fiction Group discussion

Books of the Month Nominations > Nominations for February 2016

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Val (new)

Val Nomination time again.

message 2: by Val (new)

Val Does anyone have any books from the many women's fiction prize lists they are eager to read?
If not we could take a break for a month or two until the new long list is announced, but it would be better to have some books to be going on with in the meantime.

message 3: by Tasha (new)

Tasha What about Elizabeth Is Missing?

message 4: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 76 comments Or Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, which recently won the the best of the best of the second decade of the Bailey's Prize?

message 5: by Val (new)

Val Both good books.
Instead of a vote between them, I suggest we read Half of a Yellow Sun in February and Elizabeth is Missing in March.

The next long list should be announced in March, so we can wait for that and include it in the April onwards nominations.

message 6: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Sounds good to me. I did give Half a Yellow Sun a try before and I abadoned it. I may give it a try again, we'll see.

message 7: by Val (last edited Dec 18, 2015 10:46AM) (new)

Val The start is about how a privileged Nigerian family live, which sets the scene for their lives changing during the civil war. I thought the book got a lot better when they had real problems to deal with (which sounds callous of me).

message 8: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I don't think that's callous, it's just life. And I'm sure it makes for a much more interesting story!

message 9: by Jane from B.C. (new)

Jane from B.C. (janethebookworm) | 10 comments The Kindle version of Elizabeth Is Missing is on sale today at amazon.com - $1.99

message 10: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Awesome! Thanks for the headsup. :)

message 11: by Di (new)

Di S (distafford) | 7 comments I really loved Elizabeth Is Missing. I think the fact that we had experienced dementia first hand in our own family made it feel particularly poignant (but in a good way).

I've read Americanah and Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichieand enjoyed both, so would definitely be up for Half of a Yellow Sun.