Read by Theme discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What We're Reading > December 2015: Authors from Your State/Province/Country

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 82 comments Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving (if you celebrate it)! We are moving into the holiday season and yet the weather isn't even that cold where I live. The poll for December's theme is now closed and the winner is Authors from Your State/Province/Country. Again, all of these themes are pretty open to your interpretation so this can be where you currently live or where you grew up (which isn't always the same for people).

Check out these interesting lists to get you started:

50 States and Authors
The Most Famous Author from Every State
Contemporary African Writers
The Ten Coolest Easter-European Books You've Never Heard Of

Remember that once you've finished your book(s) for the month, you're always welcome to start a discussion topic in the month's folder (which works best if there are others in the group who have read or are currently reading the book in question) or post your thoughts (or just drop a link to your review!) in the thread below.

And don't forget to vote on the poll for January's theme. The poll for February's theme is now open!

message 2: by Helen (new)

Helen (icingsugar) | 47 comments I'm hopefully going to finish Dracula by Bram Stoker in the next few days so that'll be my themed book this month. I'm Irish and so was Mr Stoker!

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne | 68 comments I will be reading Welcome Home by Margaret Dickinson, a Lincolnshire writer, where I am originally from.Margaret Dickinson

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori I got lucky and Audible's daily deal was The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens, which takes place in my native state of Minnesota. And because I now live in Thailand, I am going to read Bangkok Days by Lawrence Osborne Bangkok Days by Lawrence Osborne to find out a bit more about my adopted city.

message 5: by La_mariane (new)

La_mariane I found Thérèse Desqueyroux by François Mauriac at the library : it's quite short, which is good because I'm busy. And I've never read any Mauriac before.

message 6: by Sara (last edited Dec 11, 2015 02:46PM) (new)

Sara | 57 comments I will read Orhan's Inheritance which relates to my Armenian roots. I am also going to listen to Cannery Row & Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstoresince both books take place in Northern California where I am residing now.

message 7: by Silver (last edited Dec 10, 2015 02:03PM) (new)

Silver For this theme I am going to read one of my favorite authors, who is also quite local to me.

The Cruise of 'The Dazzler' by Jack London

I happen to live in the Bay Area, about 45min drive from San Francisco where Jack London was born.

It is fun reading the book because at least the beginning of it is also set in San Fran, so lots of familiar local places mentioned.

message 8: by La_mariane (new)

La_mariane I finished Thérèse Desqueyroux today. The author was François Mauriac. I'd never read anything by him, and he won the Nobel Prize (in 1952, I think): double bonus. I was not really convinced by this book : the writing was very good but I could not really care about Thérèse, the main character. Since her thoughts are the whole point of the book...

message 9: by Silver (new)

Silver I actually finished my book on time. Usually I don't quite manage to do it in a month. The Cruise of the Dazzler was quite an enjoyable, quick and easy read. A fun adventure that was like a cross between Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn and Treasure Island.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.