YA and Beyond discussion

MONTHLY BOOK DISCUSSIONS > December 2015: 172 Hours on the Moon

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 6961 comments Mod
Place to discuss the monthly book read 172 Hours on the Moon 172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad

message 2: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 2471 comments Mod
Hmm I haven't heard of this one before, it sounds interesting! I'll look for it at the library when I have a chance. :D

I haven't heard of it before either Brigid. Bluemoon can be pickier than me so I will look into it.

message 4: by Marcia (new)

Marcia (marciavdz) I absolutely love this book! It's so creepy and awesome :D I hope I can reread it this month..

Good to know Marcia!

*b*l*u*e*m*o*o*n* | 986 comments Mod
I'm glad you guys picked this book, rather than the other. I really liked it. It was light, meaning no heavier issue being discussed. Keep an open mind, with no expectation for this book.

FYI: the audio is great!

message 7: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments So.....I've seen in reviews that this book is scary creepy. Is it just creepy or is it hide-in-your-freezer terrifying??

message 8: by *b*l*u*e*m*o*o*n* (last edited Dec 06, 2015 06:59PM) (new)

its creepy in a non-psychological way. It's no thriller, it just gives you shivers from time to time.

There's a story that one of the characters told, and I think more than anything, that one scared me the most!

message 9: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments Ok thanks! That sounds like something I can handle :)

message 10: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments I got it from the library--I'm only a few chapters in but I really like it so far.

message 11: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Oops, I meant to look for it at the library today and I totally forgot. *headsmack* Maybe sometime later this week!

Elora wrote: "I got it from the library--I'm only a few chapters in but I really like it so far."

glad you're liking it!

message 13: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Requested it from the library and hopefully I will get it soon. :)

message 14: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments Hopefully you will. This is the first hidden gems read I've been able to do and I think it's a great idea! So glad we're doing it next year too!

Yay Elora! Brigid I hope you like it. I am soooo behind on my reading I don't think I will get to it this month. I am hoping 2016 is a better reading year for me but I did read nearly every hidden gem this year so that was good :)

message 16: by Brigid ✩ (new)

I didn't do enough of the group reads this past year ... Maybe I'll add that as a challenge for 2016. :D

BRIGID: Good idea. I haven't done a lot of the hidden gems reading as well.

On another topic...has the font on GR changed or is it just my settings?

message 18: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments Grrrr. The font has changed--and I am having a hard time reading it on my screen.

The font has changed it and it the screen is brighter. I like the new font but think the screen is too bright. A lot of people don't like either!

message 20: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Yeah the font did change. It bothered me at first but I'm starting to get used to it. Huh, I hadn't noticed the screen brightness ... I tend not to have the brightness on my computer turned all the way up, though. :D

message 21: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments Wow! So I sat down to read a few chapters--only a few cuz I need to get up early tomorrow for a run. I got to the creepies and couldn't put it down until I got to the end. Yikes! Such a good book but I've never read anything so creepy in my life. Goosebumps.

Oh wow! Sounds good Elora!

message 23: by *b*l*u*e*m*o*o*n* (last edited Dec 17, 2015 03:46PM) (new)

Elora, I'm glad you liked it! Its a different kind of creepy, right? And the fear lingers for a bit. hahahaha...(view spoiler)

message 24: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments Nina wrote: "Elora, I'm glad you liked it! Its a different kind of creepy, right? And the fear lingers for a bit. hahahaha...[spoilers removed]"

I can believe that....(view spoiler) And I totally freaked out when something went bump in the night.

I know how you feel. I freaked out more on the japanese story tho...!

message 26: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments I loved how the creepiness (view spoiler)

message 27: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments (view spoiler)

message 28: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments Heidi (Yup. Still here.) wrote: "Yay Elora! Brigid I hope you like it. I am soooo behind on my reading I don't think I will get to it this month. I am hoping 2016 is a better reading year for me but I did read nearly every hidden ..."

Hope you can catch up....it's totally worth the time if you can get around to it. :)

message 29: by Brigid ✩ (new)

It's on its way to the library for me, the last time I checked. I'm excited to read it, looks like you guys are enjoying it. :D

message 30: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments Nice. Hopefully you'll get it soon!

Yea, that was a mystery that I wanted to find out. (view spoiler)

message 32: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments Yeah, that was confusing for me too (view spoiler)

I'm interested on what others would have to say about it. Hopefully more people gets to read it!

message 34: by Brigid ✩ (last edited Dec 20, 2015 11:02AM) (new)

I am picking it up from the library tomorrow! :)

message 35: by Addie (new)

Addie hi I'm new

Hello and welcome :)

Welcome Addie!!!

message 38: by Brigid ✩ (new)

I finally started this today (literally on the last day of the month, lol)! I've only read like one chapter, but I'm intrigued so far. :)

Keep us updated please :)

nice!

message 41: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Alrighty so I finished it! And I finally read all you guys' spoilers, haha. :D

I agree with you both, it was certainly very creepy! The second half of it was really intense and frightening, and it really kept me flipping the pages.

(view spoiler)

And re: the ending - (view spoiler)

The first half of the book was kinda slow for me ... Also I didn't really sympathize with any of the three main characters. But I enjoyed how creepy and suspenseful it was, especially towards the end. Thanks for recommending it, Nina!

I really enjoyed the book not for the character development but for the creepiness! Glad you liked it.

(view spoiler)

message 43: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Yes that's the thing I liked most about it, too. :) I said this in my review of it, but it kind of reminded me of Lost but in space, haha.

(view spoiler)