Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > February 2016 Old School Nominations

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments February 2016 Nominations - Old School Classics group read

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

Bookshelf link: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

2. Only books that were published before 1900 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

3. Only one nomination and one second, per member (books can receive multiple seconds and all suggestions make it through to polls)

4. Nominations will remain open until the 14th December; polls will open on the 16th and run until 31st December.

message 2: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments I nominate Villette.

For the Bingo it would work for New to You Author (depends on you), Classic of Europe, Gothic Classic (according to a list I found) and Published in the 1800's.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Goodness! When I read " Villette" last year, I didn't imagine it was "gothic."

message 4: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments After reading the book description I didn't think that, either, but apparently there are even essays about the "Gothic Desire" in Villette and I also read that there are parts with a nun which are the truely gothic part.
I want to use it for the 1800's slot, though.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Oh, I remember the nun. I guess that was indeed gothic.

message 6: by Teanka (new)

Teanka | 124 comments I nominate The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells, since I want to read it and it did very well in the January poll.

message 7: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments I UN-NOMINATE Villette and nominate instead
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

SORRY for the confusion!
I've just figured out that I can use Middlemarch for the 1800's slot and could read Sleepy Hollow for the Gothic one.

message 8: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments I nominate The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan. It would fill our 1600's Bingo square and I have always wanted to read it since it was referred to so often in Little Women.

message 9: by Emily (last edited Dec 01, 2015 09:25AM) (new)

Emily | 0 comments I will nominate The Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis. It would serve to fill the 1700's, gothic, and banned book squares on the classics bingo. I will second "Sleepy Hollow".

message 10: by Jan (new)

Jan Magyar (ianmagyar) I second The Island of Dr. Moreau.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) I second The Monk.

message 12: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Phil wrote: "I UN-NOMINATE Villette and nominate instead
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

SORRY for the confusion!
I've just figured out that I can use Middlemarch for the 1800's slot and could read S..."

No problem Phil, i was actually considering Villette myself, so think I'll nominate it instead. I'm liking all the other choices so far. I've only read Sleepy Hollow, but want to read the rest.

message 13: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 421 comments I nominate Othello by William Shakespeare.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Definitely seconding Othello :)

message 15: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Yes, please do nominate Villette, Pink!

message 16: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Phil wrote: "Yes, please do nominate Villette, Pink!"

Consider it done :)

message 17: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Thank you, Pink!

Of course, I second Villette.

message 18: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (robotwitch) I'd like to nominate The Castle of Otranto. I have heard many good things about this whenever the subject of the Gothic comes up. For the Bingo, it fits into Published in the 1700s, Classic of Europe, Gothic Classics, and potentially, Mystery Classic.

I second the Island of Dr Moreau.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

i nonimate Les Misérables

message 21: by Deirdre (new)

Deirdre (deirdrereid) | 10 comments I second Pilgrim's Progress -- that's been a gap in my reading the classics list and I have a used copy so...

There's also a modern reworking of PP that was long-listed for a Booker Prize, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce if you're in the mood for something like that after reading PP.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Villette is good novel

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Rachid, were you able to comprehend the passages of French dialog in "Villette?"

message 24: by Gaby (new)

Gaby (gabypen) I second Villette by Charlotte Brontë as well.

message 25: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments I would like to nominate The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky and second Villette.

message 26: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Second, third, whatever, Othello :)!!!

message 27: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4996 comments Mod
I nominate Ruth by Elizabeth Gaskell, 1853, 432 pages

message 28: by Sara (taking a break), Old School Classics (new)

Sara (taking a break) (phantomswife) | 5795 comments Mod
I nominate The Country of the Pointed Firs and I'll second Ruth.

message 30: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1665 comments I have to second The Mysteries of Udolpho since I just finished reading Northanger Abbey, and Catherine mentions it about twenty times in the novel.

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) | 152 comments I'm new here so not sure if this has been nominated before. I looked but didn't see it.

Frankenstein

message 32: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Powder River Rose wrote: "I'm new here so not sure if this has been nominated before. I looked but didn't see it.

Frankenstein"

I just checked and that one has been a previous group read, back in 2013 I believe, so not eligible for the Old School choice.

You can nominate it in our 'revisit the shelf' re-read category, if you haven't already made a suggestion there. Here's the link - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

It can be tricky to search the group bookshelves, but if can't spot a book you can always use the search bar feature above and that should come up with past group threads if we've read it before. Here are the previous discussions for Frankenstein if you want to take a look -
https://www.goodreads.com/group/comme...

Don't worry if you nominate something ineligible, if I'm doing my job properly I should double check everything and let you know if they qualify or not before they go to polls. Though sometimes books occasionally slip through the net!

Also, feel free to nominate another choice here :)

message 33: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellevoorhees) | 111 comments I'd like to nominate Utopia by Thomas More. I intend to use that for my published prior to 1600 Bingo square, and I think it'd make for an interesting group discussion. :)

message 34: by Lesserknowngems (new)

Lesserknowngems | 103 comments I second Utopia. This review made me have to read the book. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) | 152 comments Pink wrote: "Powder River Rose wrote: "I'm new here so not sure if this has been nominated before. I looked but didn't see it.

Frankenstein"

I just checked and that one has been a previous group ..."

Thank you Pink. I'm grateful for the links and appreciate your help. I was going to nominate another but believe it's a rather obscure title, likely not a classic, and I can't find it in audio. I know I will be happy with any of the current nominations.

Rose

message 38: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Just had it brought to my attention (thanks Bob!) that Les Mis has been a past group read, so that one won't be eligible for Old School. It is however eligible for nomination in the revisit the shelf thread, or in the next round of voting for our quarterly classic (I think, though we did only read it last winter, so it might be too soon to nominate again)

message 39: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4055 comments I'll go ahead and nominate Indiana by George Sand, in case anyone else is interested in reading it.

It's part of my 2016 challenge, and I think I saw it on a few other challenges. It sounds like people might love or hate it, so might be an interesting group read!

message 41: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments We have a tie in Old School, between Villette and The Island of Dr. Moreau.

Link here for the Runoff Poll which will close on 7th January.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.