Pulp Fiction discussion

Group Reads > December 2015 - The Girl with the Deep Blue Eyes

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melki, Femme Fatale (new)

Melki | 820 comments Mod
This month we turn up the heat with the Hard Case poll winner - Lawrence Block's The Girl with the Deep Blue Eyes. It's shades of Double Indemnity and The Postman Always Rings Twice when a Florida P.I. falls hard for a woman who's plotting to murder her husband. This has gotten good reviews from some of our members and looks to be a nice way to round out a great year of Pulp Fiction reading.

message 2: by Algernon (Darth Anyan), Hard-Boiled (new)

Algernon (Darth Anyan) | 539 comments Mod
I am always planning to read more by Lawrence Block, and I always put him off, probably discouraged by how prolific he is, undecided which of his series or standalones would be the right choice.
Thanks for picking this book for me! I'll get to it, hopefully in a week or so.

message 3: by Franky (last edited Dec 01, 2015 06:51PM) (new)

Franky | 394 comments Just wondering where everyone is purchasing this book. I see amazon has it for $10 but trying to find another used copy somewhere. I'll probably try to read this the second half of the month if I can locate a copy. I read one of Block's and have been wanting to go back and read more...

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (spg-) | 40 comments Just copying this comment that I put against the poll in case anyone missed it:

Just received this message back from the great LB himself when I messaged him to tell him that we were reading his new book in December !

"Stephen, thanks! I do hope the group enjoys meeting my blue-eyed girl.

LB"

message 5: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (spg-) | 40 comments Btw, for anyone new to LB, the Matt Scudder series is a must read - I have read all of those and all of the Keller books which are also well worth a read.

message 6: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (spg-) | 40 comments Franky wrote: "Just wondering where everyone is purchasing this book. I see amazon has it for $10 but trying to find another used copy somewhere. I'll probably try to read this the second half of the month if I c..."

I was lucky enough that my library had it - although with that cover it did stand out a bit in the section for reserved books to be picked up...

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Glasser | 58 comments haha I had the same feeling picking my copy up from the library. So what there is a naked girl on the front?

message 8: by Edwin (new)

Edwin (edmandu) No luck at the library. No luck finding it at the Nook, Google Play, or iBooks stores either.

I bought the Kindle edition for $10. Hopefully LB gets the lion's share of it.

message 9: by Algernon (Darth Anyan), Hard-Boiled (new)

I understand that a lot of his novels are self-published as ebooks and sold through the major online shops, so I guess your hopes are well founded, Edwin.

message 10: by Edwin (new)

Edwin (edmandu) You're right Algernon. Hard Case Crime publishes the hardcover edition, and Block self-publishes the eBook edition.

message 11: by Algernon (Darth Anyan), Hard-Boiled (new)

I have started, and I can already say it will be a quick read.
... and a steamy one!

message 12: by Algernon (Darth Anyan), Hard-Boiled (new)

update : the read was quick, but the review a little harder to start. Probably becaue it has to reconcile a well written book with a repulsive type of character. I was tempted to be sympathetic towards Doak Miller, and I ended up disappointed. Which is exactly what Block intended, I guess.

message 13: by Edwin (new)

Edwin (edmandu) Agreed Algernon. I was expecting Doak Miller to be more of a redemptive hard-boiled type like Matthew Scudder. Many thanks to the Pulp Fiction group for the suggestion. My brief review is here - https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...