1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up discussion

Crictor
This topic is about Crictor
Monthly Book Club > December 2015: Crictor

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany, Former moderator, current lurker (new)

Tiffany | 213 comments Mod
Hello everyone!

It's time for our picture book group read for December: Crictor by Tomi Ungerer.

As always, you don't need to read this exact edition. Also, since this is a picture book, the discussion is open with no worries about spoilers. Just chime in whenever you feel like it!

Happy reading! :)

Erin Buhr (erinbuhr) | 6 comments This book brings back such fond memories of my childhood. I have this edition that is rather tattered that I pulled out to share with my four year olds this week. They loved it just as much as I did as a child. It is such a quirky, entertaining book.

Heather (ladymcheth) | 42 comments This was a new read for me. It was fun! I can imagine kids would love the idea of having a pet snake like Crictor. I liked the illustrations and limited colour palette.

In the 1001 Children's Book it says his books teach children not to judge others too quickly - I enjoy books that have a subtle message without being obviously preachy.

message 4: by Stephanie, Active moderator (new)

Stephanie (teff1979) | 173 comments Mod
This was an enjoyable read.

Cataluna6 | 128 comments I couldn't find a print copy of this, so muddled through with a YouTube video, (the lady was reading it to her pet snake). It was difficult to see the illustrations, but I enjoyed the story, and I loved that he was a civilized snake.
What did everyone think of the violence towards the end? I read a goodreads review where the mother was horrified that it contained robbery by knife point, her being tied to the chair and Crictor saving the day. Do you think it's too much? I was fine with it and I'd happily read it to the chidlets. I still remember Sooty and Co., where Sue would often whack them both on the head when they were misbehaving.

message 6: by Stephanie, Active moderator (new)

Stephanie (teff1979) | 173 comments Mod
Cataluna6 wrote: "I couldn't find a print copy of this, so muddled through with a YouTube video, (the lady was reading it to her pet snake). It was difficult to see the illustrations, but I enjoyed the story, and I ..."

I did not have any issue.

Heather (ladymcheth) | 42 comments Cataluna6 wrote: "I couldn't find a print copy of this, so muddled through with a YouTube video, (the lady was reading it to her pet snake). It was difficult to see the illustrations, but I enjoyed the story, and I ..."

I didn't think anything of it.
I'm finding the Goodreads reviews of children's books quite interesting. Some people are either reading too much into the message or are overprotective in what kids should be exposed to in children's books. I'm not a parent, so I know how I feel about this could change the second I become one, but first of all I don't find any of these books to be inappropriate for children and secondly, wouldn't the books be a great starting point for discussion about the world?

message 8: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited Jan 01, 2016 05:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) Stephanie wrote: "Cataluna6 wrote: "I couldn't find a print copy of this, so muddled through with a YouTube video, (the lady was reading it to her pet snake). It was difficult to see the illustrations, but I enjoyed..."

I didn't have any problems with it, and wouldn't have any issues reading to children. They see much more violence than this on TV with the cartoons. But I don't have any children. :)

Cataluna6 | 128 comments It might have something to do with how I was allowed to read when I was younger, (with almost no restrictions), I'd like to do the same thing. I agree that they can see worse thing on TV and I'm all for using the books to start a conversation. Either way, Crictor was a fun read for me.

Teresa | 24 comments I just read it. I thought it was cute.

1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Crictor (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tomi Ungerer (other topics)