1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up discussion

Amelia Bedelia  (Amelia Bedelia, #1)
This topic is about Amelia Bedelia
Monthly Book Club > December 2015: Amelia Bedelia

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany, Former moderator, current lurker (last edited Dec 02, 2015 01:01PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tiffany | 213 comments Mod
Hello everyone, and happy holidays!

As we wrap up this year, please consider joining us for our final chapter book group read of the year, Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish. Cataluna6 has kindly accepted the role of discussion leader for this one.

As always, you don't need to read this exact edition.

Happy reading :)

Cataluna6 | 128 comments I glad that I've found another book from the list that I've not read before and enjoyed a lot. I'm not sure if everyone had been able to organise a copy yet, but I thought we could wait until after the 7th to start discussing the book. Or should we just jump straight in? What do you think?

message 3: by Stephanie, Active moderator (new)

Stephanie (teff1979) | 173 comments Mod
Cataluna6 wrote: "I glad that I've found another book from the list that I've not read before and enjoyed a lot. I'm not sure if everyone had been able to organise a copy yet, but I thought we could wait until after..."

sounds like an idea

Heather (ladymcheth) | 42 comments I really enjoyed this story. Amelia was sweet enough that her mistakes weren't frustrating, instead it was endearing. Even though some of the language isn't common these days I think kids will still pick up on the silliness of her mistakes. A good chance to learn new words and about homophones too.

Cataluna6 | 128 comments Heather wrote: "I really enjoyed this story. Amelia was sweet enough that her mistakes weren't frustrating, instead it was endearing. Even though some of the language isn't common these days I think kids will stil..."

I agree Heather, it was a lovely read. I'm going to try this out for my kinder group next year, I think that they'll find it amusing.

Cataluna6 | 128 comments Apologies to everyone - I said I'd wait a week and then discuss, and now it's the week before Christmas!

In the past I've read Help! I'm Cracking Up! by Tedd Arnold, about a little boy who takes the things he hears literally. The format is fun to read and as I said above, I'm going to try Amelia out on my kinda class. I agree with Heather, this would be a great in a classroom and an easy way to introduce homophones to developing readers.

message 7: by Stephanie, Active moderator (new)

Stephanie (teff1979) | 173 comments Mod
I love Amelia Bedelia. I so agree with you Heather, but I too think that children will understand the writhing. I just love the silliness of the book.

1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Amelia Bedelia (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Peggy Parish (other topics)