Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > kindle/ebooks

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donald (new)

Donald (glasgow1975) | 13 comments Why do kindle and ebook additions never seem to combine with existing copies? The amount of times I've checked an author's list of books, only to find multiple e/kindle books listed separately? Is there some kind of glitch that doesn't check existing titles?

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments As far as I know, import bots only check if the ASIN or ISBN of the book they are importing is already in the database. If not, they add it as a new book.

Checking for titles/authors is perhaps too accident-prone.

message 3: by Martyn (last edited Dec 01, 2015 05:24AM) (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 15 comments I had a import bot add the 'Kindle' version of my book Ghosting, while it was already added as an e-book. Can they be merged?

This is the same book:

Ghosting - A Katla Novel
Ghosting - A Katla Novel

message 4: by Bea (new)

Bea Martyn, although a Kindle edition and an ebook edition might be the same, they are not accessed the same. An ebook edition has an ISBN and could be found at various vendors whereas a Kindle has an ASIN and is only available through Amazon. GR treats these as two different editions. No merging to be done. They are combined as the same book but two legitimate editions.

No action taken.