Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

Girl Number One
This topic is about Girl Number One
Book Club Selection > December 2015 Value Book Read - Girl Number One, by Jane Holland

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

David Gooch | 3992 comments Mod
Girl Number One, by Jane Holland

As a young child, Eleanor Blackwood witnessed her mother's murder in woods near their farm. The killer was never found.

Now an adult, Eleanor discovers a woman's body in the same spot in the Cornish woods where her mother was strangled eighteen years before. But when the police get there, the body has disappeared.

Is Eleanor’s disturbed mind playing tricks on her again, or has her mother’s killer resurfaced? And what does the number on the dead woman’s forehead signify?

Discussion Leader - David Gooch

Downloaded my copy ready to read this shortly.

Well I am nearly finished on this one and I have to say I am not that keen on the main character. Perhaps it is the way the author has written it so the book is her view of events and how she sees it. I can't say I am keen on the style.

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue Anderson | 21 comments Downloaded my copy, but haven't looked at it yet.

I think it is perhaps the main character I don't like rather than the style.
I really thought the person who did it was pretty obvious in the end. I had an idea early on and once you get further on you just see it setting up nicely to be the one it was.

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 499 comments If you don't like the MC that can make it a challenge to enjoy the book as a whole. That was the case for me with the last Stuart Neville book. He's one of my favourite authors & it was an affecting story but I had a hard time believing the MC.

message 7: by Juliann (new)

Juliann Johnson | 93 comments I weary of the plot device of the contrary witness/victim/MC
who in the first couple of chapters proved she is her own worst enemy. Over and over. Read 3/4th of book. Now moving on to something else. MC is someone I would not like to know in real life.

Juliann wrote: "MC is someone I would not like to know in real life. "

Glad it wasn't just me that thought her annoying.

message 9: by Sue (new)

Sue Anderson | 21 comments The way she kept taking chances reminded me of a cozy, which is not my favorite kind of book.

I enjoyed the descriptions of the UK countryside.

The book was a fast read. Not great, but not awful. Had no idea who the killer was until the end.