You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > December 2015 - White Covers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18119 comments If the two chosen group reads don't take your fancy, feel free to read a book of your choice which has a white cover. The cover must be at least 75% white for it to qualify. Please post a link to your book as well as to the picture of the white cover so we can all see it.

It doesn't matter if you don't get to read the edition that has the white cover.

Please discuss your book in this thread.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have completed the book before or during December 2015.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (including a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock.

message 2: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments I will be reading Norwegian Wood. Even though it doesn't matter, the edition I got from the library has the white cover :)

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12978 comments I am planning to read After You After You by Jojo Moyes , which also counts for the monthly challenge. If I have extra time, I might join the Winter People discussion too, but December is always a busy month.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 01, 2015 03:51PM) (new)

I went with The Winter People The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon

message 5: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments I've downloaded the Kindle sample for The Winter People. But I have other options available, too.

message 6: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 2768 comments I'm reading The Missing by Chris Mooney .

message 7: by Ariane (new)

Ariane | 697 comments I started Room by Emma Donoghue and so far, it's a bit weird, so repetitive, I hope it's going somewhere...

message 8: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (librarymom23) Ariane wrote: "I started Room by Emma Donoghue and so far, it's a bit weird, so repetitive, I hope it's going somewhere..."

It does go very emotional. When we read this one for "in-person" Book Club we had a very emotional discussion.

message 9: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14604 comments I remember the repetitiveness Ariane. There's a discussion thread here in ylto somewhere. I thought the book was okay.

I started The Glass Castle for this month.

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9197 comments The Glass Castle is excellent, Peggy. Hope you enjoy it.

message 11: by Ariane (new)

Ariane | 697 comments I finished Room by Emma Donoghue ; I liked it, gave it 3 stars.
I thought it was at the same time very emotional, but I kind of was bored by the unique POV of a 5 year old boy. I thought the style was very faithful to her subject, the vocabulary used could be the one from a little boy, that had to be a lot of work.
But at the same time, I would have liked Ma's point of view from time to time.
But I get that that is what makes this book special, it's just that I found it quite repetitive.

message 12: by Cherie (last edited Dec 05, 2015 10:08PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19596 comments Yo folks, what say you on this cover? An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin

message 13: by Kerri (new)

Kerri I am starting After You (Me Before You, #2) by Jojo Moyes , I know it won't be anywhere near as good as Me Before You going by all the reviews, but I just need closure.

message 14: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18119 comments Cherie wrote: "Yo folks, what say you on this cover? An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin"

It's an object of beauty Cherie ;-) I say it is white enough.

message 15: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19596 comments Thanks, Sarah. I have owned it for several years. Hopefully I can get to it before the end of the month. I have several books to read yet.

message 16: by Sandra (last edited Dec 06, 2015 05:35AM) (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9197 comments I agree with Sarah, Cherie. It is like my choice: Seven Ways We Lie by Riley Redgate

message 17: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12978 comments Kerri wrote: "I am starting After You (Me Before You, #2) by Jojo Moyes, I know it won't be anywhere near as good as Me Before You going by all the reviews, but I just need closure."

I'm planning to read After You for this challenge too, Kerri. I'm hoping that I will like it well enough, because my expectations aren't too high going in after reading the reviews. I really like your cover.

message 18: by Kerri (new)

Kerri Kristie I've read the first 5 chapters so far I'm enjoying it, it's like visiting an old friend. I loved Louisa in Me Before You. I'm not expecting much either, but I love the way Moyes writes, so easy to read,

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12978 comments Good to hear, Kerri.

message 20: by Kerri (new)

Kerri I think I spoke too soon Kristie, I'm up to chapter 11 now, have you started it yet? Im starting to see why it's got such terrible reviews now.

message 21: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12978 comments No, I need to finish Winter first for my series challenge. That's disappointing. I'm curious to see how the rest of the book goes for you. I hope it gets better again.

message 22: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I started A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain not loving it. But it is obe of thr first I ever put on tbr so glad to get through with it

message 23: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments My cover looks whiter than that one looks

message 24: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments I have The Fur Person The Fur Person by May Sarton . Looks right at about 75% white to me. It's only like 112 pages so not sure it's acceptable - ?

Looks like I can get a hold of a library copy of Birds of America Birds of America by Lorrie Moore so might go with it. But might go with Cranford Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell instead which is available immediately.

message 25: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18119 comments With the group reads, we have no page limit like the challenges so if you want to read the first one, I say go for it. A couple months back, I read a few graphic novels for the theme read.

message 26: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18119 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "not loving it. But it is obe of thr first I ever put on tbr so glad to get through with it "

It will be a relief to have got it off the list then!

message 27: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14604 comments I'm about halfway through my book, The Glass Castle. I'm enjoying it, it's well-written and a fast read. When you read it without thinking too much about it, it's almost funny. But, if you stop to think about what happened to those kids a bit more, it's so so sad.

What I do wonder about in these kinds of books, is how authors are able to remember this all and how much of the book is fictionalized. I don't mean to say that it's made up, definitely not, but I often encounter details or specifics that I find hard to imagine someone in their 40s can still remember from the time they were 4 or 5 years old. Besides that, human memory is quite fallible and gets distorted easily by other events.

message 28: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Re: the glass castle.

I think traumatic life events can make a deeper mark and so can be recalled more clearly. But that's not to say it's fully accurate. It's just what the author remembers experiencing.

message 29: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9197 comments I agree with you, TJ. I also remember an afterword by the author (or something like that) in which she says she asked a lot of questions to her mother and 2 or her siblings.

message 30: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47263 comments Still, memory is subjective and I agree with Peggy. I suspect that there were many "gaps" filled in. That doesn't negate that the events likely happened the way she stated.

message 31: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9197 comments Yeah, I suppose it is an inherent part of memories and autobiographies.

message 32: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments I started The Fur Person by May Sarton and absolutely am loving it!

It's written from the cat's point of view and is pretty spot on in describing cat behaviour and feline social protocol. Very amusing.

message 33: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14604 comments I agree with all of you. I do think the more traumatic events make for better recollection and it's a part of these kinds of books that some parts must have been just filled in. It makes more sense if she indeed discussed things with her mom, who probably had a better memory of the names of the towns they lived in and for how long for example. It is indeed inherent to these kind of books, but I can't help wondering about it. I like what you say TJ, to keep in mind that this is how the author experienced it or remembers it.

message 34: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments Is this one white enough? De man die alles achterliet by Tanya Commandeur

message 35: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12978 comments Peggy - I agree that she probably filled in some parts due to memory, though I've known some people with amazing memories of their childhood. I am certainly not one of those people. As far as the way she remembers it or experienced it being different, that doesn't bother me at all. Even immediately after an event, people will remember it differently than others just due to perspective. I have many memories that don't match up with other people's even right after the event. Who you are as a person taints how you see things always. The way I see it, if everything she wrote is true to her, then this is her experience based on her perspective and it is her true story.

message 36: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14604 comments Elsbeth wrote: "Is this one white enough? De man die alles achterliet by Tanya Commandeur"

I don't think so Elsbeth. It should be 75% white and this one is not even half white. Lots of grey though!

message 37: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14604 comments Kristie wrote: "Peggy - I agree that she probably filled in some parts due to memory, though I've known some people with amazing memories of their childhood. I am certainly not one of those people. As far as the w..."

You're absolutely right Kristie :)

message 38: by Elsbeth (last edited Dec 08, 2015 11:02AM) (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments Peggy wrote: "Elsbeth wrote: "Is this one white enough? De man die alles achterliet by Tanya Commandeur"

I don't think so Elsbeth. It should be 75% white and this one is not even half white. Lots of grey though!"

More blueish than grey, I think. But I thought I'd ask, since I had another blueish/white cover which was alright ( Kind van Sneeuw by Eowyn Ivey ). You never know... ;)

message 39: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14604 comments It all depends on what Sarah says anyway ;-)

I loved Kind van Sneeuw (The Snow Child)!

message 40: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Dec 08, 2015 11:40AM) (new)

Sarah | 18119 comments Definitely not Elsbeth. It isn't even vaguely white. Has to be 75% white.

message 41: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18119 comments I ok'd The Snow Child as other editions were white. As has been said in the yearly challenge thread RE: book cover colours, if you're really wondering if it counts, it probably doesn't.

message 42: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments Sarah wrote: "I ok'd The Snow Child as other editions were white. As has been said in the yearly challenge thread RE: book cover colours, if you're really wondering if it counts, it probably doesn't."

Okay, I'll keep that in mind! Thanks, Sarah!

message 43: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Kristie wrote: "Peggy - I agree that she probably filled in some parts due to memory, though I've known some people with amazing memories of their childhood. I am certainly not one of those people. As far as the w..."

I really like what you say about this, Kristie. Very articulate!

message 44: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12978 comments Tejas Janet wrote: "Kristie wrote: "Peggy - I agree that she probably filled in some parts due to memory, though I've known some people with amazing memories of their childhood. I am certainly not one of those people...."

Thank you!

message 45: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14604 comments I'm about 2/3 through The Glass Castle now and I'm getting a little bored. It feels like just a summation of events, and a bit much of the same.

message 46: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18119 comments Peggy wrote: "I'm about 2/3 through The Glass Castle now and I'm getting a little bored. It feels like just a summation of events, and a bit much of the same."

It's a shame your not enjoying your read Peggy. At least your on the finishing straight!

message 47: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14604 comments It's not necessarily 'not enjoying', but more like enjoying it less than I expected. I had this book on my really-really-want-to-read-shelf for a while. It started off great, but now I'm losing interest. Maybe it will pick up again :) (and it not, like you say, only 80 or so pages to go!)

message 48: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments I recall feeling the same way, Peggy, about The Glass Castle. It was started off really amazing and then bogged down some and didn't/couldn't maintain the same level. Though I still liked it very much.

message 49: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14604 comments I liked it better again when it got to the NY part. I gave the book 3.5 stars.

message 50: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2578 comments I read After You by Jojo Moyes After You

It's been slated by a lot of people which I think is a shame, mainly I think because of the expectation from the first book.

I went into not expecting anything (I don't see how she could have topped the first book) and I actually really enjoyed it. It was sweet, thoughtful, sad and funny. Gave it 4 stars.

« previous 1