You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > December 2015 - The Winter People

Comments Showing 1-50 of 115 (115 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Dec 01, 2015 12:43AM) (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments One of the group reads for December is The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon. Please discuss the book in this thread.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have completed the book before or during December 2015.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions.
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments I was perusing the ebooks available from my library last night and saw that they had this book available. So I downloaded it and returned the kindle version I'd bought at the weekend. So now I can buy another book :-)

This is going to be my boat book so I'll start this later today.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have just bought the kindle version of this so I will be joining in with this discussion. I will start it once I finish my current book.

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47169 comments I'll be starting the book sometime today.

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47169 comments I started The Winter People yesterday. I think we're going on quite the ride. I'm spooked already!

I finished the first part January 1908 and have started Present Day.

January 12, 1908 Martin - (view spoiler)

I found the first little bit to be confusing. It does take a while to figure out who is who in the story. It seemed a bit like the author was jumping around - one minute Sara is a teen whose friend had died, another second she's in her bed as an adult listening to two people discuss her prognosis.

message 6: by Silver (new)

Silver | 451 comments In general I do not consider myself to much of a mystery reader. But I really like the works of Jennifer McMahon. I love the way in which she introduces this fairy tale like element within her stories, and creates at times an almost surreal feeling.

I particularly enjoy this book thus far because of this historical setting and the wintry landscape. Winter being my favorite season. I love the cold, and think her descriptions of the landscape are wonderfully poetic.

I agree that it it does start out a bit confusing, and I got lost a bit trying to keep track of the characters. But thus far I am finding the story to be quite intriguing.

Martin January 12 1908 (the first introduction of his character)

This probably doesn't really give anything away but just in case.

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47169 comments I'm at the section where Ruthie finds Sara's diary and learns about her murder. (view spoiler)

message 8: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments I've got sucked in to my other read so I'll finish that one now before starting this. Sounds promising though.

message 9: by Lisa (last edited Dec 03, 2015 04:31AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I will be starting this today. I am looking forward to it, it sounds like it will be an interesting and (hopefully) spooky read.

message 10: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colls) | 114 comments I listened to the audiobook version this past summer and I remember thinking I'm glad I didn't read it while it was cold outside. It was chilly and chilling. Looking forward to reading other people's thoughts as the go through this one.

message 11: by Lori (last edited Dec 03, 2015 07:01AM) (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 433 comments I have only read up to the The Present. I had all the same thoughts Janice stated in her post. (view spoiler)

Creepy.

And it's cold outside where I am.

And, I'm already reading another creepy book that I will not read after dark.

I'm actually surprised I didn't hear long finger nails scraping on my window last night. Thankfully, the wind wasn't blowing last night to cause the Crepe Myrtle Tree to scrape against the house because it wouldn't have been the tree I would have been hearing!!

message 12: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (missvirginia) | 96 comments I've started reading it this morning and just finished up Part 2. That last bit really freaked me out. (view spoiler)

This is going to be one scary read!

message 13: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments You've got me itching to start. Sounds like it might be a book i have to stop reading at dinner time to avoid freaking myself out then.

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47169 comments I just wrote a long post and was proofing it when Explorer shut down. Grrrr! I find Explorer to be very unstable lately.

I don't have time to recreate my post so will come back later.

message 15: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (missvirginia) | 96 comments So sorry to hear that Janice. I'm very curious on what your thoughts are progressing through the book.

I just finished Chapter 19 myself.
(view spoiler)

@Sarah: Sounds like a good plan to stop reading before dark. I did not do that yesterday, because I wanted to know more and more about the story, and it didn't do me any good trying to get to sleep O_o

message 16: by Joan (new)

Joan your comments have me intrigued, I can't wait to start.

message 17: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47169 comments I'm further along in the book so some of the things I had questioned had been answered.

Up to the part where Sara went to her niece's for lunch and was introduced to the medium.

Lucius - (view spoiler)

The medium - (view spoiler)

Ruthie - (view spoiler)

I read for a while this afternoon. I'm now at the part where Catherine has met Ruthie at the farmhouse. (view spoiler)

Sara's Auntie - (view spoiler)

I'm getting closer to learning what happened when Sara died. I have 2:45 hours left in the book.

message 18: by Lori (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 433 comments I am about halfway through the book. More questions than answers at this point. I'm not sure my comments are spoilers but better to mark them than ruin someones reading experience.

My book does not have chapters or parts. It only has the character name preceding each changing POV. I am at the place where(view spoiler)

I stayed up way too late reading last night.....fell asleep a couple of times and then still tried to read which means I had to go back a few pages and re-read them because I don't remember what I read.

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments I found myself catching a train without a book earlier. So i downloaded this book on to my phone. I've read the first two chapters. I like the writing style. I'm intrigued by the set up. There is a line by the young girl Gertie who ponders whether the snow remembers being rain. This reminds me of myself (but not as a child, as an adult). I once asked if a butterfly remembered being a caterpillar. I even ended up asking an evolutionary biologist once. He looked at me quite strangely.

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I am reading this on my kindle and am 24% of the way through. The chapter I have just finished is the one where (view spoiler)

This book is seriously giving me the creeps! I am getting a chill every time a character goes near (view spoiler) Reading this at night with a strong wind howling outside is playing havoc with my imagination!

Silver, I am really enjoying the scenes set in the past and the descriptions of the snowy landscape too. The author has a really good writing style and certainly knows how to set a scene and rack up tension.

(view spoiler)

I can't wait to find out what will happen next!

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 433 comments Lisa wrote: "I am reading this on my kindle and am 24% of the way through. The chapter I have just finished is the one where [spoilers removed]

This book is seriously giving me the creeps! I am getting a chill..."

I am a little ahead of you Lisa (view spoiler)

message 22: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47169 comments I finished the book this afternoon and I am thoroughly creeped out. I had all sort of theories about the ending but didn't come close.

Lucius - (view spoiler)

Catherine - (view spoiler)

I'm going to have to think about this a bit more before I write my review. I'm really glad I read this. I'll be sure to read more of Jennifer McMahon's books. I like her style.

message 23: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (missvirginia) | 96 comments I just finished the book aswell, and I feel the same way as you Janice. And most of my theories about the ending didn't come true, only (view spoiler)

I also feel the same way about Lucius, couldn't have written it better myself.

Katherine - (view spoiler)

Ruthie (view spoiler)

message 24: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47169 comments Sharon, do you think (view spoiler)

message 25: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (missvirginia) | 96 comments Janice, I hadn't thought about (view spoiler)

message 26: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47169 comments I think (view spoiler)

One of the things the book addresses is (view spoiler)

message 27: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (missvirginia) | 96 comments Interesting theory. I hope your version is what happens for their own sake.

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I am just under halfway through and have just finished the chapter where (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

The part with the (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Lori (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 433 comments Only 100 pages left!

message 30: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47169 comments You are so observant, Lisa. I didn't catch all the details (view spoiler)

message 31: by Lisa (last edited Dec 07, 2015 03:54PM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I am at the 75% mark. I have just finished the chapter where we find out (view spoiler)

Lucius - I also agree with the comments regarding him. (view spoiler)

The medium - Like you Janice, I also found this part quite creepy. (view spoiler)

I enjoyed the scene in the farmhouse when (view spoiler)

Fawn - (view spoiler)

message 32: by Silver (last edited Dec 07, 2015 03:52PM) (new)

Silver | 451 comments I love how haunting the story is and the atmosphere it creates.

I was out of town for a while so I got behind on my reading, but I just finished the first two chapters dealing with Ruthie

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Lori (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 433 comments I just finished the book. (view spoiler)

There are some portions of the book I need to re-read. (view spoiler)

Definitely a awesomely written thriller!!!!

message 34: by Lori (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 433 comments I finished this book too early in the evening. What am I going to do now??? For me, it's one of those books which requires a recess from reading if the next book is going to hold your interest at all.

I'm definitely going to have to read another book by this author. Has anyone read any of her other books??

message 35: by Silver (last edited Dec 07, 2015 05:55PM) (new)

Silver | 451 comments I have read Don't Breathe a Word and Island of Lost Girls I enjoyed both but "Don't Breathe a Word" I liked more.

message 36: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47169 comments Silver wrote: "I have read Don't Breathe a Word and Island of Lost Girls I enjoyed both but "Don't Breathe a Word" I liked more."

I will definitely be reading more of her work.

message 37: by Lori (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 433 comments Silver wrote: "I have read Don't Breathe a Word and Island of Lost Girls I enjoyed both but "Don't Breathe a Word" I liked more."

Thanks Silver!!

message 38: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments I am pleased to hear that those who have finished are rating this book highly. I have read 7% but I'll focus more on it once I finish the other book I have on the go.

message 39: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (missvirginia) | 96 comments Lori wrote: "I finished this book too early in the evening. What am I going to do now??? For me, it's one of those books which requires a recess from reading if the next book is going to hold your interest at a..."

I had the exact same feeling: a book-hangover.
I still have the feeling sometimes to want to re-read it, even after a few days.

I'm definitely going to read more books from this author. Excellent book choice! :)

message 40: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have just finished. It was really good! (view spoiler) I also really enjoyed spending time in the two different time periods. I often find with these kinds of books that I enjoy one time period (usually the older one) more than the other but that was not the case here. I liked them both equally.

(view spoiler)

Ruthie - (view spoiler)

I really hope that (view spoiler)

I rated this book 4 stars but my actual rating is closer to 4.5. Thank you to everyone who nominated and voted for it. It wasn't a book that I had ever heard of until it got mentioned here and I'm not sure I would have picked it up if it wasn't for this group read :)

message 41: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47169 comments I'm glad you enjoyed it Lisa. It was my nomination, but I didn't expect that it would make it to the poll.

Re your spoiler before Katherine - (view spoiler)

The ending - (view spoiler)

message 42: by Lori (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 433 comments Interesting selection Janice!! I'm glad you nominated this book. Like Lisa,...it's a book I had never heard of and likely would not have picked up if it had not been the group read. I enjoyed it!!

I went back and re-read only the accounts from the past and saw what I missed on(view spoiler) There were several other things that I picked up. Hahaha Probably only because I knew the ending but it was a little easier to follow without the interruptions from 'the present'.

If there is a continuation it needs to wait many years...perhaps her grand daughter could be the author?

message 43: by Lisa (last edited Dec 09, 2015 05:23AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Janice - (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

I have just added a couple more of the author's books to my wishlist. I am particularly interested in The Night Sister which sounds very creepy.

message 44: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47169 comments Lisa wrote: "Janice - [spoilers removed][spoilers removed]

I have just added a couple more of the author's books to my wishlist. I am particularly interested in The Night Sister which sounds ve..."

I just meant that (view spoiler)

message 45: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I knew exactly what you meant Janice :) Sorry if my post came across differently. I just couldn't believe that (view spoiler)

message 46: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47169 comments That was exactly my sentiment, Lisa.

message 47: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments Ive just finished reading Martin's chapter with the fox (view spoiler)

Now on to the present day...

message 48: by Lori (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 433 comments Auntie (view spoiler)

message 49: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Lori - (view spoiler)

message 50: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments I'm in chapter 9 right now and I've been following Ruthie (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3