21st Century Literature discussion

A Brief History of Seven Killings
This topic is about A Brief History of Seven Killings
2015 Book Discussions > A Brief History of Seven Killings - Part 4 White Lines / Kids in America, Spoilers Allowed (December 2015)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2627 comments Mod
This section is largely set in America. Any thoughts on the comparison between the Jamaican, Colombian and American drug gangs and their cultures? How did the Dorcas Palmer sections fit into the overall narrative?

message 2: by Portia (last edited Dec 02, 2015 04:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Portia I am really prejudiced toward Dorcas (by any other name ;-)). I think I knew from the beginning that she was going to be dumped, but James made the actual fact so terribly painful. He really got it spot on with the way she kept trying not to hear what she was being told.

I need to not go one and on about Dorcas. I'll say she's my favorite character and a real survivor.

Does anyone else have a fave? Or, not like Dorcas at all?

Sandra | 114 comments Dorcas, to me, was like collateral damage being on the scene when the failed assassination attempt went down. She felt she was a marked woman. Her fate was wrapped up with the singer, but not in the way she thought.

She was a weird dichotomy of realist and idealist sort of like the country of Jamaica itself. She worked hard to get her visa out of Jamaica but at the same time refused to realize she was going to be left behind. If she could have been able to open up a little bit and say. "Look, I have to get out of this country, please help me." I'm sure the boyfriend (name eludes me... I no longer have the book) who seemed like he was halfway decent, would have helped. He needed to go back to his wife, sure, but she had no real interest in him other than a way in to the US.

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2319 comments I like Dorcas. She had spirit. I'm still not sure which of the Americans in Jamaica corresponds to the guy she ended up being hired to watch as he woke up to a new life every day, never remembering the prior day. (A problem I had with the audiobook was keeping track of names and dates and, ocassionally, my being interrupted and not turning off the audiobook and then not wanting to go back.)

Whitney | 2104 comments Mod
Linda wrote: "I like Dorcas. She had spirit. I'm still not sure which of the Americans in Jamaica corresponds to the guy she ended up being hired to watch as he woke up to a new life every day, never remembering..."

That was in New York :-)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2319 comments Whitney wrote: "Linda wrote: "I like Dorcas. She had spirit. I'm still not sure which of the Americans in Jamaica corresponds to the guy she ended up being hired to watch as he woke up to a new life every day, nev..."

I know but it seemed to me that he was familiar with Jamaica and was one of the CIA guys we heard a lot from - the one who had his wife and son with him and was transferred back Argentina (or some SA country).

message 7: by Whitney (last edited Dec 31, 2015 05:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Whitney | 2104 comments Mod
Ah, got ya. I thought it was more audiobook confusion.

I didn't get the idea that Colthirst was a former CIA agent, just someone familiar with Jamaica. It was only 9 years after the attack on The Singer that she started working for him.

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2319 comments Whitney wrote: "Ah, got ya. I thought it was more audiobook confusion.

I didn't get the idea that Colthirst was a former CIA agent, just someone familiar with Jamaica. It was only 9 years after the attack on The ..."

Ah so there was more audiobook confusion - the dates. I could never remember what the year was. Nine years was definitely too short a time because the son would not have been old enough to be Colthirst's son.