21st Century Literature discussion

A Brief History of Seven Killings
This topic is about A Brief History of Seven Killings
2015 Book Discussions > A Brief History of Seven Killings - Part 3 Shadow Dancin', Spoilers Allowed (December 2015)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2572 comments Mod
After two long sections covering two days, we jump forward two years. Did you feel this affected continuity? How did you feel about the relationship between Papa Lo and Josey Wales - did you see them as radically different or different stages in the development of similar characters?

Nutmegger Linda (lindanutmegger) | 103 comments Hugh wrote: "After two long sections covering two days, we jump forward two years. Did you feel this affected continuity? How did you feel about the relationship between Papa Lo and Josey Wales - did you see th..."

I saw them as a generational change, similar to the changes that the American MAFIA went through. The older generation was more reserved and avoided attention.

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2572 comments Mod
The Mafia comparison is an interesting angle, but not one that I know much about. I felt much the same, largely because James does mention a few of the more brutal elements of Papa Lo's early career before talking about his role as a peacemaker.

Whitney | 2065 comments Mod
I also picked up on the more nihilistic younger generation taking over from the old guard, who were brutal but at least had some moral compass; such as Papa Lo's regret at the killing of the schoolboy, which the next generation see as a weakness.