21st Century Literature discussion

A Brief History of Seven Killings
This topic is about A Brief History of Seven Killings
2015 Book Discussions > A Brief History of Seven Killings - General Discussion, No Spoilers (December 2015)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2564 comments Mod
This is the general discussion thread for A Brief History of Seven Killings. Any thoughts welcome, but no spoilers please.

Whitney | 2064 comments Mod
I avoided the audiobook as I thought trying to distinguish between 2 dozen Jamaican gangsters would break my brain, but you seem to have the opposite opinion. I may get the audio to get the experience of both.

message 3: by Hugh (last edited Dec 02, 2015 02:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa,

In my view it is worth persevering with the print version - you soon get used to it - I even found myself thinking in patois once or twice towards the end. I like the idea of listening to it after reading - suspect BBC radio will do a version before too long...

message 4: by Teanka (new) - added it

Teanka | 36 comments I'm having trouble with the language in the print version too. It doesn't help that I'm not a native English speaker either. I hope, however, that just as you say, I'll get used to it after a while. Or I might try listening to it a bit while reading, this might help.

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2292 comments I used an audio credit to get it and it is next on my list of books to listen to as I want to participate in the discussion, despite no wanting to read the book!

message 6: by Portia (last edited Dec 02, 2015 09:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Portia We were celebrating our anniversary in Jamaica when one of the women who worked at the place where we were staying told us that Timothy McVey had blown up the Murraugh building. I won't insult her by trying to imitate her when she told us "America is supposed to be the good place."

Sandra | 114 comments Linda wrote: "I used an audio credit to get it and it is next on my list of books to listen to as I want to participate in the discussion, despite no wanting to read the book!"

I really had no interest in reading this either but I'm so glad I did. It's easily one of the best book I've read this year. You might be surprised, too!

Nutmegger Linda (lindanutmegger) | 103 comments I enjoyed it (found the historical thread interesting), however, I think some of it could have been edited out.
Some parts were repetitious as if the author felt that he had to remind the reader what was going on with the multiple characters.

Sandra | 114 comments Yeah some of the repetition, I thought was because the various characters were telling the same story from different perspectives.

message 10: by Hugh (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandra - I agree - you can also see different parts of the gangster's career path in the testimony of different characters and their experiences of the same events.

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2292 comments I've started listening to it but have not gotten very far. I will continue to plug away!

Caroline (cedickie) | 384 comments Mod
Just saw an article about Marlon James' new book, which he states will be the "African Game of Thrones." Can't wait to nominate this one as my Wild Card pick, though I expect I may need to wait a while! Hehe. Here's the article: http://time.com/4147384/marlon-james-...

Whitney | 2064 comments Mod
Pretty sure that sobriquet has already been applied to the works of Charles Saunders

message 14: by Hugh (new) - rated it 5 stars

Caroline wrote: "Just saw an article about Marlon James' new book, which he states will be the "African Game of Thrones." Can't wait to nominate this one as my Wild Card pick, though I expect I may need to wait a w..."
I hope this was a joke!