Classic Trash discussion

Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang
This topic is about Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang
Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang > Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang: In Progress (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adelaide Blair | 1060 comments Mod
This topic is for those who want to discuss the work in progress. No spoilers please.

Cheryl | 929 comments I've already read this book but have taken alot of notes on it. I applied for it through inter-library loan and it came in 4 days later (!). No book has ever come in that fast, and this one came from a library half-way across the state. The last inter-library loan took 2 weeks to arrive. There is no logic to the system.

Anyway, I did take alot of notes on the story, so I can keep up with the discussion. I liked the book. It had a real 1970s SF feel to it - focusing on the social aspect of future tech. I read alot of that type of SF growing up, so there was a nostalgia factor for me. I think it's worth reading.

Sarah (sarahmott) | 367 comments I'm still waiting for my copy. The ap says I am next in line...

I am picking up mine today.

Am I the only one who thinks David is creepy?

Cheryl | 929 comments Adelaide wrote: "Am I the only one who thinks David is creepy?"

Do you mean David's personality, or his relationship with Celia? I thought he wasn't too creepy, compared with people you'll see as the story progresses. What chapter are you on?

I am on the third story. There was just something about David that turned me off. The clones are weird, but they are mostly just following their nature.

Cheryl | 929 comments This book does have a bit of a hippy/fairytale feel to the writing. It was popular in some 70s SF back then. Maybe it's the style you don't like? Like I said, I'm used to it because of reading it in the past and has a bit of a nostalgia affect for me. It might not hold up well for others.

The story progresses for many years/generations, so you'll see new characters before long (after chpt. 10).

I'm on Mark's story right now. I'm enjoying the book, but for some reason David bothered me way more than the clones.

Cheryl | 929 comments The clones got creepier as the story progressed. I wrote down some quotes as I was reading.

After the mill accident in chpt. 7:"They left Clarence. Just walked away and left him. We brought him up, but I don't know...They just left him there and brought up their own."

Chpt. 8:"A Walt with something missing, David thought. They all had something missing. A dead area."