Young Adult Contemporary Romance discussion

❤ ARCHIVES > Share Your Holiday Traditions

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris | 7142 comments Mod
Does your family have any special traditions they do for the holidays? Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa or another holiday share your traditions with us.

I will start off by sharing our family holiday traditions:

Every year a couple weeks before Christmas my kid's and their cousins get together at my house and they each make a Gingerbread House. It's a lot of fun and some of the houses turn out really good.

Another tradition is we open our Christmas presents on Christmas morning, but every year I let my kids open one present on Christmas Eve night and it is always new pajamas. Well my kids are all grown now, but they still look forward to their new jammies on Christmas Eve.

message 2: by Red (new)

Red Bling | 387 comments Thats wonderful Chris!! A really cute idea for the kids

Deanna (A Novel Glimpse) (anovelglimpse) | 6020 comments Mod
Making Christmas cookie! :)

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen (readingaway84) | 2519 comments Mod
Love this! and that's a cute idea for Jammies Chris!

When I was a kid we always opened up family gifts on Christmas Eve so they don't get overshadowed by Santa's gifts on Christmas morning. (A $15 gift from your brother looks so much better when you haven't opened up Santa's gifts). We still do this - we open presents at my mother's house on christmas eve. And my kids exchange gifts with each other on Christmas eve. It's kind of like a "hold em" gift. :)

Something we are going to do this year: On New Year's Eve we are going to put an empty Mason Jar in the kitchen and then when something memorable or quotable happens, we are going to jot it down (just a few words) and then relive all of the moments on next new years eve!

message 5: by Chris (new)

Deanna wrote: "Making Christmas cookie! :)"

I use to always do Christmas cookies and give out platters to all the neighbors, but I haven't for the last two years. I might have get back to doing it again! It's fun!

Karen wrote: "Something we are going to do this year: On New Year's Eve we are going to put an empty Mason Jar in the kitchen and then when something memorable or quotable happens, we are going to jot it down (just a few words) and then relive all of the moments on next new years eve!..."

Wow, your New Years Eve idea is sooooooo cool!! I love it.

message 6: by Vega_girl (new)

Vega_girl | 6624 comments Everytime I hear about the jar it reminds me of Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2) by Colleen Hoover and their jar....makes me want to cry all over again!! Great idea Karen!

Well I am Mexican sooo tamales are a must, however I only make chicken ones....so my husband says it doesn't count as a Mexican! Lol!!!
We also wait 3 weeks before Christmas and go out to a Christmas tree farm and choose, as a family, our tree.We have hot cocoa or apple cider while we walk through the trees. Then husband and kids take turns sawing it down!! ...p.s. thats this weekend!!! We can't wait!!

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan | 408 comments Really nice traditions everyone! :)

On Christmas eve my family and I all watch our favorite Christmas movies and drink hot cocoa or coffee. Then on Christmas day we have a family dinner; which we spent the entire day cooking.

message 8: by Chris (new)

Vega_girl wrote: "Everytime I hear about the jar it reminds me of Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2) by Colleen Hoover and their jar....makes me want to cry all over again!! Great idea Karen!

Well I am Mexican sooo tamales are a ..."

Oh Barb, I love tamales!! My sister-in-law will make a big batch once a year! That is a wonderful tradition cutting down your own tree, cocoa and cider! The kids must love it. We're getting our tree tomorrow, but just picking one up at the tree lot.

Megan wrote: "Really nice traditions everyone! :)

On Christmas eve my family and I all watch our favorite Christmas movies and drink hot cocoa or coffee. Then on Christmas day we have a family dinner; which we ..."

Watching favorite Christmas movies together is so nice! We use to watch my girl's favorite "The Santa Clause", but they are grown now. We still watch "A Christmas Story" on Christmas Day, because TBS runs the marathon of it!

Deanna (A Novel Glimpse) (anovelglimpse) | 6020 comments Mod
Vega_girl wrote: "Everytime I hear about the jar it reminds me of Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2) by Colleen Hoover and their jar....makes me want to cry all over again!! Great idea Karen!

Well I am Mexican sooo tamales are a ..."

I was just going to say the same thing! Totally reminds me of this book! Love it!

message 10: by Vega_girl (new)

Vega_girl | 6624 comments Oh Chris I love A Christmas Story!! I watch ot every uear but my.kids are young so they don't "get" it. Haha!! Polar Express and all 3 of The Santa Clause's with Tim Allen top our list!!

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen (readingaway84) | 2519 comments Mod
Home Alone and Home Alone 2 are our christmas favorites! We also leave The Christmas Story on constant at my parents house - its kind of like background noise :)