Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A book that's guaranteed to bring you joy

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Well that's a tall order. Not many guarantees in the book world.

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments This is an interesting one and one I'm not 100% sure what to use for it. My original thought is to use the illustrated version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. They say that those illustrated versions are to be released one per year and they did Sorcerers Stone in 2015. So I'm going to pencil this one into this slot.

A tough category for sure...

message 3: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5322 comments Mod
I think I'm going to choose a book I haven't read yet by an author I love for this one (sort of a reprise of last year)

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Nadine wrote: "I think I'm going to choose a book I haven't read yet by an author I love for this one (sort of a reprise of last year)"

That's what I had planned to do, but several of my favorite authors released books in the last couple of months (and I've already read them!). Must do some thinking...

message 5: by Nadine (new)

Have faith! A favorite author will release something exciting during 2016! :-)

message 6: by Bridget (last edited Dec 08, 2015 12:33PM) (new)

Bridget | 26 comments Megan wrote: "This is an interesting one and one I'm not 100% sure what to use for it. My original thought is to use the illustrated version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. They say that those illust..."

Fantastic idea. I just got my copy of the first one. Only downside is that it is not a travel book LOL. But I know it will bring me joy! I'll hold off reading it until 2016.

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments Bridget wrote: "Megan wrote: "This is an interesting one and one I'm not 100% sure what to use for it. My original thought is to use the illustrated version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. They say tha..."

You're so right - its not a travel book. Its taking me that much longer to read it. I'm used to reading books from the Overdrive app so books are on my iPhone/iPad and I read every spare minute throughout the day, but this book I can't do that! (First World Problems? I think yes...)

That being said, I'm loving the illustrations and it's Harry Potter...

message 8: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 32 comments Wonder - if you haven't read it- will bring you joy.

message 9: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Just finished reading Romancing the Duke (Castles Ever After, #1) by Tessa Dare Romancing the Duke by Tessa Dare

It definitely brought me joy, however, I wouldn't say it was guaranteed to bring me joy. Hmmmm.....

message 10: by Jh (new)

Jh | 18 comments Nadine wrote: "I think I'm going to choose a book I haven't read yet by an author I love for this one (sort of a reprise of last year)"

...or how@ a book w/a protagonist you love? I just finished 'The Crossing' so maybe I'll count that. Love me some Harry Bosch!

message 11: by Nadine (new)

I have a contender for this category now: I received the author's edition of Neverwhere for xmas. I listened to a library copy of the audiobook this year, and enjoyed it so much I vowed to go out and buy a paper copy and re-read it (this is almost unprecedented for me). Now, it's not GUARANTEED to bring joy though. So, my question: what will you do if the book you read for this category does not end up bringing any joy?? Does it still count? will you read a different book?

message 12: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 30 comments I'm going to start a book that I'm pretty sure will work (The Princess Bride) but if for some reason I don't love it, I'll abandon it in favor of a Harry Potter reread.

message 13: by Monica (new)

Monica (booksarelove) | 110 comments Like Nadine, I plan to look for a book by a favorite author that I haven't read yet. If I can't find one, maybe I should save this category for last, because any book chosen for this category would complete the reading challenge, and completing the challenge definitely would bring me joy.

message 14: by Marie (new)

Marie (marie123) | 30 comments Patricia Briggs is releasing a new Mercy book, and being my favorite series I think that qualifies! Otherwise I was considering reading something just overwhelmingly cute like Shel Silverstein poems or something along those lines.

message 15: by Arka (new)

Arka Duttagupta | 25 comments A White Sail Gleams by Valentine Katayev..... I don't know why it always brings me joy whenever I read it.....

message 16: by Brittani (new)

Brittani Allen | 23 comments The princess bride or Alice in wonderland!! I guarantee you will be smiling the whole way through :)

message 17: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments So isn't every book guaranteed to bring you joy? I mean think about it, we read to make us happy and to help us to relax. Therefore, I think any book that we choose for this topic would work. It may not bring you joy after reading the book but, the experience of reading will always bring one joy. Just my thoughts and even with that I am not sure on which book I am going to read for this category.

message 18: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I finally came up with one! I'm going to read one of the Her Royal Spyness mysteries by Rhys Bowen. Those are ALWAYS guaranteed to put a smile on my face.

Also, if no one has read the Spellman mysteries by Lisa Lutz, they are great too!

Or maybe a feel-good story. Can't think of one off the top of my head, but there must be one. Back in the day, I would've suggested Erma Bombeck.

message 19: by Jenncw (new)

Jenncw | 22 comments I try not to reread (unless the category specifically calls for it), but I think this might be a reread category. How else can you guarantee that a book will bring you joy? Even favorite authors have been known to disappoint, especially as I usually have higher hopes of my favorite authors, so even slight issues tend to irritate. Either that, or I pick a book that brought me joy, and plug it in here after the fact.

message 20: by Nadine (new)

Jenncw wrote: "I try not to reread (unless the category specifically calls for it), but I think this might be a reread category. How else can you guarantee that a book will bring you joy? Even favorite authors ha..."

Same here: as a rule, no re-reads for me in the Challenge, but this one almost demands a re-read. I keep going back and forth, and basically I just don't know what I'm going to read for this category. I think I'll know it when I see it.

message 21: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments I recently finished Humans of New York Stories by Brandon Stanton . This book has highs and lows but it is so powerful. If you've followed the blog or the Facebook page Brandon Stanton created, you would find joy in this book. I highly recommend it.

message 22: by Giedre (new)

Giedre Garden Spells by Sarah Addison. So cute and lovely. chicken soup for soul.

message 23: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor | 39 comments Giedre wrote: "Garden Spells by Sarah Addison. So cute and lovely. chicken soup for soul." I love most of her books, and like the rest. My absolute favorite is The Sugar Queen with Garden Spells next. I've read everything she's written, so I read a similar style book The Dress Shop of Dreams and it didn't disappoint :)

message 25: by EllenZReads (new)

EllenZReads Juanita wrote: "I recently finished Humans of New York Stories by Brandon Stanton. This book has highs and lows but it is so powerful. If you've followed the blog or the Facebook page [author:Brandon Stanton|69..."

I just bought this but haven't started looking at it yet. I have Brandon's first book and am an avid follower of his blog, so I know I will love this one too!

message 26: by Leigh Ann Jones (new)

Leigh Ann Jones | 23 comments I'm hoping I can stumble upon a new book that will fit this category, but if all else fails I can reread my favorite Harry Potter.

message 27: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Elke wrote: "I picked "Furiously Happy: A Funny Book about Horrible Things" by Jennifer Lawson for this category. :-)"

Have you read any of Jenny Lawson's other stuff, Elke? My book club just attempted Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir. We're a pretty liberal group and only a few finished. If you love her, that's awesome. Just my personal review.

message 28: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Ellen wrote: "I have Brandon's first book and am an avid follower of his blog, so I know I will love this one too! "

I definitely want the other books he's published now. And I want all my friends to read it. :)

message 29: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Holbrook (jessicalh08) | 86 comments I loved the movie A Little Princess when I was a kid, and still do. I never read the book though, so I'm going for that one! A Little Princess

message 30: by CarleyB (last edited Jan 07, 2016 08:57PM) (new)

CarleyB | 35 comments There are a lot of good books for this prompt.

Furiously Happy A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things
Hyperbole and a Half Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened
The Princess Bride  by William Goldman The Princess Bride
Jim Henson's Labyrinth The Novelization by Jim Henson Jim Henson's Labyrinth: The Novelization

message 31: by Tara (new)

Tara Harrison | 11 comments I love the Mr. Monk series so I'm going to choose the next one in the series for this pompt.

message 32: by Reyna (new)

Reyna (neonwolf247) | 10 comments I think I'm also going to have to go with Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things

I mean, I heard good things about the book and the cute cover which reminds me of rocket the raccoon from guardians of the galaxy so I'm going to put that on the list lol.

message 33: by Ms Bridget (new)

Ms Bridget (obridget2) | 6 comments Dogs Are Worth It! (Peanuts Treasury) by Charles M. Schulz Dogs Are Worth It! by Charles M. Schulz this book definitely brought me joy! Yes, it's comics put together in a book but hey..it counts! Lol

message 34: by Sana (new)

Sana Zameer (sanazameer) For me anything and everything written by Jennifer L Armentrout brings joy and pleasure. So I will read one of her books.

message 35: by Sara (new)

Sara (sorapandora) Megan wrote: "This is an interesting one and one I'm not 100% sure what to use for it. My original thought is to use the illustrated version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. They say that those illust..."

Great idea! I had no idea what I was going to use... but I got the illustrated Sorcerer's Stone for Hanukkah, and so far I've only flipped through it. That will be perfect for this challenge! Thank you for the idea.

message 36: by Jenncw (new)

Jenncw | 22 comments I'm going to go with 20/20 hindsight on this one. I read The Score by Elle Kennedy this past weekend, and laughed so hard it felt like I did 100 sit ups!!!

message 37: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Kressin | 8 comments I got Julia Child's two big cookbooks for Christmas, so I am counting these for this category. They aren't novels, but where does it say they have to be? And oh my, are they a joy to read. She was a funny lady :)

message 38: by Nadine (new)

I definitely think Julia Child counts!

message 39: by Amy (new)

Amy | 6 comments I did The Little Prince for this one. The most joyful book I know!

message 40: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I've held off on picking a book for this one because most of my favorite authors do not have a scheduled book release for this year (and I've read all their other books!). I thought I would have to reread a book, and then I saw this:

https://www.pottermore.com/news/ww-pu...

New Harry Potter book! So what if it's a play script? I can do that! I can't wait to read it, and I hope it holds up to the magic of the original 7 books :) Even if it doesn't, it will still bring me joy :)

Thegirlintheafternoon I'm using this task as a re-read of one of my favorites: RAVISHING THE HEIRESS, by Sherry Thomas. Absolutely guaranteed to give joy!

message 42: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments Sara wrote: "I've held off on picking a book for this one because most of my favorite authors do not have a scheduled book release for this year (and I've read all their other books!). I thought I would have to..."

I was just going to post about reading that for this prompt!

message 43: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Weber | 263 comments Sara wrote: "I've held off on picking a book for this one because most of my favorite authors do not have a scheduled book release for this year (and I've read all their other books!). I thought I would have to..."

That is a fantastic idea! Anything Harry Potter will bring me joy too!

message 44: by Brittany (last edited Feb 16, 2016 08:53PM) (new)

Brittany Murray | 9 comments I read Scary Mommy for this challenge. I do not have kids myself but it still was laugh out loud funny. Highly recommend this one.

Confessions of a Scary Mommy An Honest and Irreverent Look at Motherhood The Good, The Bad, and the Scary by Jill Smokler

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Food: A Love Story by Jim Gaffigan

message 46: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 56 comments I think I'm going to re-read the first Miss Julia book. The Miss Julia series is one of my favorites and always makes me laugh.
Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind (Miss Julia, #1) by Ann B. Ross Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind

message 47: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 78 comments I went with The Wee Free Men for this one - anything in Discworld makes me happy and I have not read the Tiffany Aching books yet. It was a lot of fun!

message 48: by Priya (new)

Priya Bhowal (priyalovingly) | 26 comments I'm clueless about what to read

message 49: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 56 comments The other book I wanted to read was out from the library. I ended up re-reading Austenland Austenland (Austenland, #1) by Shannon Hale by Shannon Hale. This book is laugh out loud funny and puts a smile on my face for days.

message 50: by Catharina (new)

Catharina (_nekoi) | 93 comments I'm thinking a book can bring you joy in many different ways. I'm planning to read:

The Woman Who Stole My Life by Marian Keyes

by Marian Keyes, because I always thoroughly enjoy everything she writes :)

« previous 1