Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A book that takes place on an island

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments 39 prompts in and I got nothin' clever to say about this one ...

A book that takes place on an island

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments There is actually quite a few. All of the Anne of Green Gables books, technically anything set in the UK or Ireland should count ;) Hawaii by James Michener, The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne, Lord of the Flies. I may read Anne of the Island (reread the first two book this year).

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Now that I'm at work I saw what I had planned to read for this prompt - Island of the Blue Dolphins. Haven't read that in years!

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments I was going to go with Shutter Island but I'll keep my eye out on this discussion board for other ideas.

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie | 63 comments I read an awesome thriller last year called The Ice Twins. It's not fully set on an island, but the family in the story does move to a house on their own island, and it's a big part of the story.

message 6: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindalt) | 99 comments Probably Lord of the Flies. I was going to read it this year but haven't gotten around to it.

message 7: by Melody (last edited Dec 03, 2015 09:15AM) (new)

Melody | 202 comments Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut takes place on the fictional Latin American island of San Lornezo, I'll probably pick up that one. Still Life with Woodpecker by Tom Robbins takes place on Hawaii. If you're into Shakespeare both Othello and The Tempest take place on islands. Also, any book that takes place in Australia or New Zealand would also work as they are both islands.

message 8: by Ashly (new)

Ashly (ashlyh) | 63 comments I was thinking of a book set in Japan. I have Storm & Daughter of the Sword on my shelf.

message 9: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Good suggestion. The Light Between Oceans takes place in Australia and on a smaller island with just a lighthouse.

message 10: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Hey, does Manhattan count?

message 11: by Melody (new)

Melody | 202 comments As someone who has lived in New York, and whose parents are both New Yorkers, I would say Manhattan definitely counts. Totally an island.

message 12: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Any book written in the British Isles. Technically Australia is an island. Hawaii. Vancouver Island in British Columbia. This one shouldn't be that hard to fill.

message 13: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Anne of green gables is on PEI!

message 14: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 409 comments And then they were none was very good.

message 15: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) How about Lord of the Flies? I think that takes place on an island.

message 16: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindalt) | 99 comments Somehow my last comment got posted under the wrong prompt, weird!

message 17: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5333 comments Mod
And Then There Were None would work perfectly for this, but I just read it this year! Lord of the Flies, To the Lighthouse, Swamplandia!, The Gracekeepers or Beauty Queens would also work.

But I read all of those so they don't work for my challenge. If you're looking for something else, here are a few other titles I've come across (and since I haven't read these, I don't actually know if they are all set on islands). I'm tentatively planning on A Superior Death (I read another one of Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon books for the 2015 Challenge, and I'd be happy to revisit them!):

This Rough Magic
The Moon-Spinners
In the Time of the Butterflies
The Count of Monte Cristo
The Most Dangerous Game
My Family and Other Animals
The Lighthouse
A Superior Death
The Search
Sea Change
Undertow

message 18: by Monica (new)

Monica (booksarelove) | 110 comments There's also The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells.

message 19: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Love Anthony by Lisa Genova is set on Nantucket

message 20: by Neptunalia (new)

Neptunalia (wxguesser1800) Monica wrote: "There's also The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells."

That's what I'm planning to read for this prompt.

message 21: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry is set on an island too.

message 23: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) For people that like paranormal romance, I just finished Canyons of Night (Arcane Society #12; Harmony #8; Looking Glass Trilogy #3) by Jayne Castle Canyons of Night by Jayne Castle, which takes place on a fictional island in a fictional alternate universe.

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Fraioli (michellefraioli) We Were Liars by E. Lockhart.

message 25: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5333 comments Mod
yes, We Were Liars takes place on a tiny island! Also, Starcrossed

message 26: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments The nymph and the lamp takes place on a fictional version of sable island off the coast of Nova Scotia and come thou tortoise takes place on Newfoundland

message 27: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 30 comments Looks like Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children is also on an island.

message 28: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Definitely. Also Megan Shepherd's The Madman’s Daughter (which was inspired by The Island of Dr Moreau) is set on that same island.

message 29: by Arka (last edited Jan 01, 2016 04:03AM) (new)

Arka Duttagupta | 25 comments Anne of Green Gables
Jurassic Park
A House for Mr Biswas, V.S. Naipaul

message 30: by Anja (new)

Anja Calabrese | 7 comments Almost finished with The island of Dr.Moreau,great book! Read Shutter Island last year for the challenge,also love Agatha's And then there where none,if you want something a bit longer,my fav.island book,
http://www.amazon.com/Notes-Small-Isl...

message 31: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristy67) | 53 comments Treasure Island

message 32: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyinafrica) Sara wrote: "There is actually quite a few. All of the Anne of Green Gables books, technically anything set in the UK or Ireland should count ;) Hawaii by James Michener, The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne, L..."

I forgot Anne was on an island! Yippee! I'll read the whole series again.

message 33: by Promila (new)

Promila | 2 comments The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

message 34: by Patty (new)

Patty Rose (pattyrose31) | 18 comments Sara wrote: "The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry is set on an island too."

That's what I'm going with for this category!

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura | 44 comments Promila wrote: "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"

I just started this book for this category :)

message 36: by Anja (new)

Anja Calabrese | 7 comments Finished The island of Dr.Moreau,great island book!

message 37: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor | 39 comments I think I'm doing And Then There Were None for this one. Shutter Island was really good though, and, if you haven't read the plot twist of We Were Liars, it's a quick, enjoyable read. Also, just about everything Elin Hilderbrand writes is set on Nantucket (and mostly they take place in summer, making them a good fit for that prompt as well)

message 38: by CarleyB (new)

CarleyB | 35 comments I have had a few of these books in my TBR pile for way to long.

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie And Then There Were None
To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf To the Lighthouse
Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane Shutter Island

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments Tara wrote: "Love Anthony by Lisa Genova is set on Nantucket"

Good to know. I've been wanting to read this book, and I've been struggling to find something for this prompt -- two birds with one stone.

message 40: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 242 comments Juanita wrote: "Good suggestion. The Light Between Oceans takes place in Australia and on a smaller island with just a lighthouse."

I hope so, because I already read my book for this topic and it's set in Manhattan! I read (and recommend) The Transcriptionist by Amy Rowland. Actually, I listened to the audio book, which was very nicely narrated.

message 41: by Catharina (new)

Catharina (_nekoi) | 93 comments Laura wrote: "Promila wrote: "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"

I just started this book for this category :)"

I'm going to read this one also, I've had it in my TBR quite some time! :)

message 42: by Regan (new)

Regan (mollytornado) Technically, Australia is a continent, not an island.

I'm not sure what I'm going to read for this prompt yet. I am thinking of reading either The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells or Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

message 44: by Rachel V. (new)

Rachel V. Poling (inareadingrutx1f97a) I am going to do The Rocks by Peter Nichols.

message 45: by Sovanratana (new)

Sovanratana (booksandpugs) Snowed In by Rachel Hawthorne

message 46: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (simmyreads) | 11 comments Promila wrote: "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"

That's the one I read. It was a charming little book.

message 47: by Mike (new)

Mike | 443 comments Just started Beauty Queens for this prompt. Based on the prologue, I think I'm going to love it.

message 48: by Catharina (new)

Catharina (_nekoi) | 93 comments Stacey wrote: "Promila wrote: "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"

That's the one I read. It was a charming little book."

I read this one for this prompt last week and really enjoyed it, it wasn't at all what I was expecting. Can warmly recommend it!

message 49: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Murray | 9 comments For this one I chose City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. I know it's really stretching it but Manhattan is technically an island! This book was pretty good so now I have to start the second one.

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare

message 50: by Shaelynn (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 9 comments The Thessaly trilogy by Jo Walton is set on an island... The Just City, The Philosopher Kings, and Necessity (to be published in 2016).

« previous 1