Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A satirical book

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Satire: "the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues."

Another Goodreads' shelf.

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I was worried about this one, but that link you posted is helpful! I saw several books I want to read (some I was planning to use for other prompts, but what's a little shuffling? ;)

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments I hear "satire" and all I think of is Animal Farm.

But based off that shelf posted above Beauty Queens is listed on there and that is on my Want To Read list. So that's what I plan to read for this one since I already was interested in it.

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie | 63 comments Last year I read Dear Committee Members, which is a professor writing all these insane letters of recommendation & hysterical letters. I would definitely say it fits this prompt & is a quick read.

message 5: by Ashly (new)

Ashly (ashlyh) | 63 comments I will read Soulless by Gail Carriger.

message 6: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) I just came across The Life-Changing Magic of not Giving a F***. Lol! But maybe that's more parody than satire. I did enjoy the book being mocked but I still find the new title hilarious.

The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck How to Stop Spending Time You Don't Have with People You Don't Like Doing Things You Don't Want to Do by Sarah Knight

message 7: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I think it could be considered satire, satire uses parody as well as sarcasm, irony and other rhetorical devices to poke fun at something

message 8: by Monica (new)

Monica (booksarelove) | 110 comments I'm going to read The Book of Snobs by William Makepeace Thackeray. Good as Gold and Catch-22, both by Joseph Heller, are satirical novels.

message 9: by Annisa Nurul (new)

Annisa Nurul Aziza (azizanurul) | 8 comments I will read 1984 by George Orwell because I'm currently reading it now.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments I'm going to read Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead...hope that counts as satire. I've checked a few lists and it's on some but not others

message 11: by Patty (new)

Patty Rose (pattyrose31) | 18 comments An all time favorite The Phantom Tollbooth The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster is an easy, but fun read for this category!

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments Patty wrote: "An all time favorite The Phantom Tollbooth The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster is an easy, but fun read for this category!"

I didn't realize this book was a satire. I was planning on reading it for another category in either this challenge or my other one (GoodReads Around the Year).

message 13: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I didn't realize either! That's great :)

message 14: by Patty (new)

Patty Rose (pattyrose31) | 18 comments Most of the time The Phantom Tollbooth is considered children's literature, but it is a satire of Victorian society! Not to mention the word play is just fun!

message 15: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Goodreads has a whole list of satirical novels: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

As there are 7600 books on this list, I'm sure you can find something.

message 16: by Rachel V. (new)

Rachel V. Poling (inareadingrutx1f97a) I'm going with Everything I Never Told You for this one. It has been in my to read pike for awhile now.

message 17: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments I am going to read Catch 22 by Joseph Heller for this prompt

message 18: by Steven (new)

Steven Perry | 47 comments I'm going to read The Screwball Tapes by CS Lewis

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Kressin | 8 comments I read Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. I think most of his books are satire.

message 20: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristy67) | 53 comments I finished Cat's Cradle last night, actually. I loved it!!

message 21: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Just finished reading Money A Suicide Note by Martin Amis Money: A Suicide Note by Martin Amis for my satirical book. It satirizes Reagan's America & Thatcher's Britain.

message 22: by Christi (new)

Christi | 45 comments I'm reading The Road to High Saffron by Jasper Fforde. Though I might end up moving it to be a romance set in the future or a book and its prequel if the prequel is released in 2016.

message 23: by Erin (new)

Erin | 51 comments Mindy wrote: "I just came across The Life-Changing Magic of not Giving a F***. Lol! But maybe that's more parody than satire. I did enjoy the book being mocked but I still find the new title hilarious."

I've never heard of this book before, but it sounds perfect- adding it to my TBR!

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Tack | 31 comments Was originally considering a (re-) read of something by Jane Austen or Jack London, but I just saw The Eyre Affair on one of the lists, so I think I'll go with that since it's already on my to-read list!

message 25: by Christi (new)

Christi | 45 comments @Jessica, that is a great series! Jasper Fforde's got such an imagination.

message 26: by Yazmin (new)

Yazmin | 9 comments Almost anything from José Saramago will do for this prompt. I recomend Death with Interruptions It's amazing!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe

message 28: by Rachel V. (new)

Rachel V. Poling (inareadingrutx1f97a) I just finished Everything I Never Told You by Celest Ng. I was surprised it is listed as satire, but it was really good.

message 29: by Kitty (last edited Jan 31, 2016 03:00PM) (new)

Kitty | 13 comments I was worried about this one, but today I randomly started listening to the audiobook of Slaughterhouse-five by Kurt Vonnegut, immediately fell in love with it and I finished it in a day. I loved it! I think I am going to use it for this category though, because I think there will be more books I finish in a day this year (hard thing to plan for) but I'm not sure about satirical novels (although I want to read something else by Vonnegut now for sure!)

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy | 6 comments I think I'll probably do Fight Club for this one.

message 31: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 78 comments I just take this as humor. My second biggest read shelf... :) Any Discworld book or any book by Terry Pratchett, any book by Christopher Moore, Robert Rankin. Jasper Fforde is also a great choice!

message 32: by Mike (new)

Mike | 443 comments Finally settled on A Confederacy of Dunces for this one.

message 33: by KLB (new)

KLB (klynnb) | 27 comments Good Omens by Neil Gaiman

message 34: by Mark (new)

Mark Kernan | 3 comments I'm planning on Heart of a Dog, by Mikhail Bulgakov. He uses it to satirize the USSR's attempt to create a "new Soviet man."

message 35: by Christi (new)

Christi | 45 comments I read Eat More Better: How to Make Every Bite More Delicious by Dan Pashman of Sporkful.com. I heard the author on an episode of the America's Test Kitchen Radio podcast. It was good and definitely well thought out. The book is hard to read straight through like a regular book. If I had just bounced around and read different bits now and then I would have liked it better, I think.

message 36: by Christi (last edited Mar 10, 2016 05:55AM) (new)

Christi | 45 comments I shuffled things around on my list. I read Eat More Better: How to Make Every Bite More Delicious by Dan Pashman of Sporkful.com. I heard the author on an episode of the America's Test Kitchen Radio podcast. It was good and definitely well thought out. The book is hard to read straight through like a regular book. If I had just bounced around and read different bits now and then I would have liked it better, I think.

message 37: by Leigha (new)

Leigha (leighas_life) I am reading Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #1) by Louise Rennison I was sad to hear that Louise died recently. :(

message 38: by Christophe (last edited Apr 02, 2016 03:50PM) (new)

Christophe Bonnet | 212 comments I just read a great humoristic mystery that I think fall into this category:

Adrien Goetz, Intrigue à l'anglaise, Le livre de poche, 2008 (1ère éd. 2007).

Premises of the book: the Bayeux tapestry as it is shown is actually 10 feet too short. A smart young curator and her dandy boyfriend are investigating - and nothing is quite what it seems...

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments For some reason, I was on the fence about whether this book counted as satire. Probably because I saw most people were picking things like Jane Austen and Animal Farm...and this book seemed pretty different. But I picked Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

message 40: by Diane (last edited May 10, 2016 05:58PM) (new)

Diane | 67 comments I was stumped for this prompt. BUT, my bookclub is reading Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. I was pleased to see the first line of the description: "Billy Lynn's Long Half-Time Walk is a razor-sharp satire....."

message 41: by Riley (new)

Riley (rileyfickett) I'm going with Galápagos by Kurt Vonnegut. This will be my first Vonnegut book (I was never prompted to read this in school) and I am very interested by this synopsis. This is on my September TBR.

Galápagos by Kurt Vonnegut

message 42: by Katie (new)

Katie Schmoyer | 7 comments someone added they were reading screwtape letters...so am I! But I wasn't sure if it counted so thanks for sharing.

message 43: by poshpenny (last edited Aug 30, 2016 10:29PM) (new)

poshpenny | 1584 comments KLB wrote: "Good Omens by Neil Gaiman"

I loved this book. It's even become part of a little tradition for me. Every time I walk into Powell's, I check the store bestsellers bookcase, and it's always there. All the hot new, award winners, made-into-movie books come and go, but Good Omens is always floating around in the middle. Always. And it was published in 1990.

message 44: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Thanks for posting the shelf Juanita - just discovered that Pygmalion counts as satire, win! Not gonna lie, really didn't get on with this at all (I'd picked it up as I needed to read a play for another challenge). Perhaps it's something you need to see on stage as the way Eliza's cockney accent was transcribed was quite difficult to read, but yeah, didn't love it!

message 45: by Sara (new)

Sara (velocipedal) | 32 comments I read Kurt Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions for this one.

message 46: by Amber (new)

Amber | 38 comments I read Catch-22 by Joseph Heller.

message 47: by Kim (new)

Kim Erickson (madtroll) | 1 comments Vonnegut of course for this category. Timequake