Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A book about a road trip

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments On the Road, An Abundance of Katherines, My Life on the Road, what'll it be?

I found a Goodreads tag for road-trip books. Check out those suggestions here.

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments So excited for this prompt - Definitely going to use Amy and Roger's Epic Detour. I've heard such great things about this book.

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I was planning to read Breakfast with Buddha, but after looking at that list I saw two other books I have been meaning to read on the list - One Plus One and The Geography of You and Me.

Decision, decisions!

message 4: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Sara wrote: "I was planning to read Breakfast with Buddha, but after looking at that list I saw two other books I have been meaning to read on the list - One Plus One and [book:The..."

I forgot about One plus One! That was amazing! Even better than Me Before You IMO.

message 5: by Ashly (new)

Ashly (ashlyh) | 63 comments I'm going to go with Mosquitoland by David Arnold

message 7: by Gail (new)

Gail (abbygg) I'm planning on The Alchemist. It's unbelievable that I haven't read it yet.

message 8: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5484 comments Mod
I'm struggling to find one that looks good for me. I'm usually not big on road trip stories; I might just read the third Percy Jackson book, The Titan's Curse, they usually involve a road trip, right?

Or maybe I'll re-read On the Road - I haven't read that since high school so I barely remember it. I've got a few other books I'm looking at. I'm going to keep checking this spot for more ideas!!

If no one has read it yet, I highly recommend Neil Gaiman's American Gods. I also just finished Cherie Priest's Dreadnought, which is one big trip for the protagonist, which is why I didn't like it (the story ends as soon as she gets to her destination, which is where all the fun is for me - normally I love Cherie Priest's books, her writing is fantastic, so if it looks interesting to you, I recommend it - it just wasn't my thing; oh, there are zombies, but they aren't a big part of the story).

message 9: by Nadine (new)

I just realized, the book I'm reading right now is a road trip book! Travels with Casey is about the author/journalist who rents an RV and travels around the USA with his dog, Casey, and meets with other dog people. I'm about halfway through. It's not as good as I thought it would be. But if you need a road trip book, and you like dogs, it's an option!

message 10: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 1 comments If you like children's literature, Walk Two Moons includes a road trip.

message 11: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 30 comments The Edge of Never is another option.

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments The Edge of Never is a good suggestion! I read that. Even though its over 400 pages, its a quick read. If I remember correctly, its "new adult" and some of the parts got steamy!

First Love is also a good road trip book too!

message 13: by Brittani (new)

Brittani Allen | 23 comments The Darkest Minds, In Honor, Paper Towns has a road trip section even though the book isn't really about a road trip. I know I have more, I LOVE road trip books but those are just some off the top of my head

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments I usually don't really like road trip books so much. I picked Paper Towns by John Green since I want to see the movie but I'd rather read it first

message 15: by Marie (new)

Marie (marie123) | 30 comments I read Perfect Escape by Jennifer Brown. It was really good and I recommend it for anyone still looking!

message 16: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor | 39 comments A couple of different takes on road trip (and wildly different books from each other)- Wild by Cheryl Strayed, or The Hobbit.

message 17: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments Sara wrote: "I was planning to read Breakfast with Buddha, but after looking at that list I saw two other books I have been meaning to read on the list - One Plus One and [book:The..."

Thank you for the recommendation this, is what I am going to read for this as well! :)

message 18: by Leigh Ann Jones (new)

Leigh Ann Jones | 23 comments I read Counting Stars and really enjoyed it!

message 19: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne  (rkmorita) | 41 comments Marie wrote: "I read Perfect Escape by Jennifer Brown. It was really good and I recommend it for anyone still looking!"

Marie wrote: "I read Perfect Escape by Jennifer Brown. It was really good and I recommend it for anyone still looking!"

Marie wrote: "I read Perfect Escape by Jennifer Brown. It was really good and I recommend it for anyone still looking!"

Wild, I was going to add one of the recommendations of American Gods or Breakfast with Buddha but I remembered I have "Wild". Glad that counts for a road trip book.

message 20: by CarleyB (last edited Jan 07, 2016 08:53PM) (new)

CarleyB | 35 comments This was a great prompt.

On the Road by Jack Kerouac On the Road

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho The Alchemist

message 21: by Reyna (new)

Reyna (neonwolf247) | 10 comments Megan wrote: "So excited for this prompt - Definitely going to use Amy and Roger's Epic Detour. I've heard such great things about this book."

I plan on reading Amy and Roger's Epic Detour too! I just bought this book so pretty glad this one goes with the list.

message 22: by Kali (new)

Kali | 18 comments I was takin An Abundance of Katherines (gotta love John Green), or Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Bought that one thru a Kindle Daily Deal awhile ago.

message 23: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nic0lexmichele) Pretty sure Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas works for this.

message 24: by Michele (new)

Michele Sorensen (majkmom4) My local book club is reading A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains. Looks like it's about a road trip on horseback in 1873. So glad I figured out a prompt to use this for!

message 25: by Catharina (new)

Catharina (_nekoi) | 93 comments Sara wrote: "I was planning to read Breakfast with Buddha, but after looking at that list I saw two other books I have been meaning to read on the list - One Plus One and [book:The..."

Really? Wow, I read Me Before You last year and was absolutely blown away! Now I'm looking forward to One Plus One even more :)

message 26: by Mike (new)

Mike | 443 comments I found Skink--No Surrender on one of the above lists. Love Carl Hiaasen, so this works out well!

message 27: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 56 comments I'm going to read Let's Get Lost Let's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid .

message 28: by JoAnna (new)

JoAnna | 84 comments I recently finished The Wishing Trees by John Shors.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Status Update by Annabeth Albert

message 30: by Michele (new)

Michele Sorensen (majkmom4) I gave up on the book I was originally going to read for this prompt. So I used The Buried Giant for this one. (Which I listened to on audible and did not enjoy it much)

message 31: by Yazmin (new)

Yazmin | 9 comments I am having trouble with this prompt in particular. Though I see that I could go with One Plus One, since I've just got the e-book in a valentine's sale, I was thinking that I could read Strangers on a Train... I mean, is a trip, on an iron and steel "road", hehehe :D what do you think?

message 32: by Nadine (new)

I think that sounds like a fantastic idea!! (I just finished - and lived - my first Highsmith novel, The Talented Mr Ripley).

message 33: by Leigha (new)

Leigha (leighas_life) Going to read Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

message 34: by Christi (new)

Christi | 45 comments I read I Don't Care if We Never Get Back: 30 Games in 30 Days on the Best Worst Baseball Road Trip Ever by Ben Blatt and Eric Brewster. Two college friends set off on an ambitious quest to visit 28 major league ball parks in 30 days. By car. It's Ben's dream and Eric is along for the ride to see the country. Think Oscar and Felix or Sheldon and Penny in a Rav4 for 30 straight days.

The writing style is collaborative so you get both perspectives. Lots of funny moments.

message 35: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Christi wrote: "I read I Don't Care if We Never Get Back: 30 Games in 30 Days on the Best Worst Baseball Road Trip Ever by Ben Blatt and Eric Brewster. Two college friends set off on an ambitious q..."

I remember hearing an interview with these guys, it's on my to-read list!

message 36: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 2 comments Rules of the Road by Joan Bauer is a really good YA book, I've read it many times :)

message 37: by Claire (new)

Claire | 9 comments Stephanie wrote: "Rules of the Road by Joan Bauer is a really good YA book, I've read it many times :)"

I love that book! I haven't read it in years! Maybe I'll have to dig it out and read it again for this challenge . . .

message 38: by Nadine (new)

I read the graphic novel "Sisters" for this prompt, but I just finished listening to the third Percy Jackson book, "Curse of the Titans," and it would qualify too (if anyone is interested in a tween-level book). They start in NY, move through NJ and MD to DC, then head west through AZ and Las Vegas, stopping at the Hoover Dam, then head west again to San Francisco.

message 39: by Donna (new)

Donna Craig | 9 comments Breakfast with Buddha. Wonderful!

message 40: by Cher (new)

Cher | 5 comments My One and Only for those who fancy second chance romance..

message 41: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 30 comments How to Be Bad is a YA option.

Last Ride to Graceland is a new release this month.

message 42: by Riley (new)

Riley (rileyfickett) I read Greyhound by Steffan Piper and LOVED IT. It's about a 12 year old boy who has to travel on a bus alone from California to Pennsylvania. He ends up meeting a cast of interesting characters - some friendly, others quite dangerous - but he always has his new friend Marcus (who has just been released from prison) to look after him. There are some loose ends to this book that I wish were tied up at the end but overall I thoroughly enjoyed this story and definitely recommend it for this prompt.

Greyhound by Steffan Piper

message 43: by Patricia (last edited Aug 10, 2016 11:51PM) (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 112 comments I wanted to read something a little different. After some searching, I found Harry Truman's Excellent Adventure: The True Story of a Great American Road Trip. From the description, poor Harry didn't have the resources that our current Presidents have - Secret Service, speaking fees, and a good pension. He and Bess just decided to fire up their car and tour America without any assistance from some government tag-alongs.

message 44: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments I just finished Paper Towns, and I really enjoyed it. When I was 2/3 of the way through, I was convinced I'd made the wrong choice since there didn't seem to be much of a road trip, but lucky for me there was one toward the end so I didn't have to rearrange my categories.

message 45: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 78 comments I had real trouble with this prompt. I am not a fan of travel books, and none of the road trip books appealed to me. So when I read The Light Fantastic, from my beloved Discworld series, and realized that much of it involved a journey home - I figured, that's it! It counts! Or at least I will say so. :)

message 46: by poshpenny (new)

poshpenny | 1621 comments I'm going old school for this one and chose The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

message 47: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) I went for The Buried Giant, I really like Kazuo Ishiguro but this wasn't his best.

I'd also echo recommendations for My Life on the Road and Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

message 48: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Fort After extensive searching for something that would suit me, I found On Such a Full Sea by Chang-rae Lee. Apparently it involves traveling across futuristic America, so I feel like it will count.

I haven't seen it in this thread so I thought I'd throw it out there!

message 49: by Siobhan (new)

message 50: by Nadine (new)

Siobhan wrote: "I read America Day by Day"

How was it?

« previous 1