Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A classic from the 20th century

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments A classic from the 20th century ...

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I think it's time for a reread of Rebecca.

message 4: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments I am torn between 1984 by George Orwell or To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

message 5: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments They are both good reads, I'd personally read to kill a mockingbird before 1984, I preferred it.

message 6: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments I have always wanted to read 1984 but, I have heard some mix reviews on it. I love To kill a mockingbird and plan on reading Go Set a Watchman so I think I shall stick with Harper Lee!

message 7: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments If you haven't read 1984 it's not bad, I just like tkam better lol 1984 was a bucket list read for me, and I did like it, just didn't live it. It's no more difficult or long than tkam

message 8: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments hmm I think I am going to stick with To kill a mocking bird and keep 1984 on my list of books to read! Thank you though!

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments I'm going for more of a children's classic with this one. The Witches by Roald Dahl, which I can't remember ever reading as a kid although I liked many of his other books.

message 10: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristy67) | 53 comments 1984 is my all time favorite book.

I'm going with 100 Years of Solitude for this one.

message 12: by Lindi (new)

Lindi (lindimarie) On my to read list is actually quite a few classics from the 20th century, so this was pretty easy. I'm choosing To Kill a Mockingbird.

message 13: by Kira (new)

Kira (kiraaa) | 31 comments I'm curious whether Hopscotch by Julio Cortázar fits this prompt. A few people have shelved it under Classics. What do you think?

message 14: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I just finished reading Martin Eden by Jack London for this prompt.

message 15: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5319 comments Mod
I'm not sure what I'm going to read for this, because there are SO MANY great books to choose from!! I've been trying to read several classics each year, so I would probably read one or more of these books even without this challenge, but checking off a challenge prompt makes it even more fulfilling! (A few of these could be used for other prompts, also, such as Oprah, sci-fi, mystery, etc)

(For those who loved 1984, I loved that too, but I loved Brave New World even more, so if anyone hasn't read that, I recommend it!! Also, I really did NOT like TKAM, so if you loved that, you probably should not take book recs from me!)

This is the list of ideas I've put together for myself (using my own definition of "classic"):
I Capture the Castle (Smith),
My Ántonia (Cather),
The Good Earth (Buck),
The Iron Heel (London),
The Lathe of Heaven (LeGuin),
Valley of the Dolls (Susann),
The Good Soldier (Ford),
Invisible Man (Ellison),
The Long Goodbye (Chandler),
The Talented Mr. Ripley (Highsmith),
A Town Like Alice (Shute),
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (McCullers),
Three Lives (Stein),
Fight Club (Palahniuk),
American Psycho (Ellis),
Rebecca (DuMaurier),
Lolita (Nabakov),
The Age of Innocence Wharton),
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (Dick),
The Golden Compass (Pullman),
The Big Sleep (Chandler),
The Call of the Wild (London),
We Have Always Lived in the Castle (Jackson),
Sons and Lovers (Lawrence),
Solaris (Lem)

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments Just finished reading The Witches for this prompt. What a weird book!

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy | 6 comments I wanted to read Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury, but I don't know if its enough of a classic. Any opinions?

message 18: by Nadine (new)

I've had my first DNF for the year!! When I was young, I NEVER failed to finish books, it just would haunt me too much. But now I've made my peace with it - I'm challenging myself to read books I might not enjoy, and so a few DNFs will be a natural result.

I tried to read Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison for this prompt. I could tell as soon as I started that this was not something I like, so I committed myself to read 100 pages (it's just over 500 pages, so that's about 20% of the book). I made it to maybe 120 pages, and I skimmed through the rest to see if anything better would grab me. Nope.

So now I'm reading Patricia Highsmith's The Talented Mr. Ripley (Ripley, #1) by Patricia Highsmith . It feels very modern, not at all like a classic!

message 19: by Christophe (new)

Christophe Bonnet | 212 comments So many ideas, so little time! I don't want to read a book I've already read, though, which goes a long way into pruning the choices. To spice things up, I might very well elect to read an essay instead of a novel. Bachelard's Water and Dreams, perhaps, or something by Freud, or Wittgenstein's Tractatus...

Other possibilities: poetry (The Wasteland, Pound's Pisan Cantos, Ginsberg's Howl...), theater (Dürenmatt's Visit from the Old Lady, Beckett's Waiting for Godot, etc.)...

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (classicbibliophile) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20th_ce...

I found this list really helpful when I was trying to decide on this category.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

The Dairy of a Young Girl by Anne Frank.

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy Steves Do you all think The Outsiders would count?

message 23: by Nadine (new)

Amy wrote: "Do you all think The Outsiders would count?" yes.

message 24: by Leigha (new)

Leigha (leighas_life) I am going to try and read Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

message 25: by Keely (new)

Keely Crilley | 7 comments Do you think Dead Poets Society would count? It is definitely 20th century but as for classic... It is a book that comes to my mind when I think about great literature from the 20th century?

message 26: by Steven (new)

Steven Perry | 47 comments Fellowship of the Ring LOTR.

message 27: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 112 comments I read The Secret History. I hope this fits the category.

message 28: by Monica (new)

Monica (mcosselman) The Remains of the Day

If you are a fan of Downton Abbey, you should read this book!

message 29: by Riley (new)

Riley (rileyfickett) I'm going with The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien which I've been chipping away at for quite some time now. Planning on finishing the story once and for all this month!

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah FitzGerald | 14 comments Would Interview with a Vampire fulfill this prompt?

message 31: by Christi (new)

Christi | 45 comments I read Rebecca by Daphne duMaurier. I get why it is a classic. The narrator was so blah and annoyed me throughout.

message 32: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) A great selection. I read Rebecca recently and love it, though I understand what you mean about the narrator Christi. I think that was kind of the point though - she was this girl who was a bit blah, hence why she struggled so much to hold her own vs. the memory of Rebecca.

For this prompt I read The Handmaid's Tale. I really didn't like it! I can see why it is a classic and it was certainly bold for the time that it was written, but I couldn't connect to the narrator at all. Perhaps because I'm quite into feminism etc., the world that Atwood created didn't shock me at all, I could absolutely see that happening (which is sad in itself), so without the shock factor it's just a bit...meh.

message 33: by Nadine (new)

Martha wrote: "... For this prompt I read The Handmaid's Tale. I really didn't like it! I can see why it is a classic and it was certainly bold for the time that it was written, but I couldn't connect to the narrator at all. ..."

I felt the same way about that book! I'm glad I read it, because it's a classic. It was an interesting idea, but I didn't enjoy it, I didn't care for the writing style, and I couldn't connect with any of the characters. And it didn't make sense that SO much had changed, even down to physical layout of the village, in just three years.

message 34: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (notphonetic) | 46 comments I read The Scarlet Pimpernel for this category. I had picked it up for the "A Book 100 Years Older Than You" prompt, but I'm not quite that young ;) (I read Mansfield Park instead)

message 35: by Sara (new)

Sara (velocipedal) | 32 comments I read Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. Mostly because of all the references to it in Mr. Robot.

message 36: by Amber (new)

Amber | 38 comments I read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

message 37: by Kim (new)

Kim Erickson (madtroll) | 1 comments Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck. Love it. Sorry to say that it took me this many years and a book challenge to finally read this classic.