Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A book of poetry

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Carpe diem! Take a page out of the Dead Poets' Society and read a book of poetry.

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments I'm not much in to poetry so I'm going to keep it elementary and select Where the Sidewalk Ends: The Poems and Drawings of Shel Silverstein. Feel free to judge me lol!

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Megan wrote: "I'm not much in to poetry so I'm going to keep it elementary and select Where the Sidewalk Ends: The Poems and Drawings of Shel Silverstein. Feel free to judge me lol!"

No judging! I listed that for myself as well!

message 4: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments I am also trying to make my way through Goodreads' 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime.

I might try to do double duty and pick something from here like The Raven.

message 6: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I'd count that, it doesn't say it has to be an anthology or collection :) I am going to read rotten beautiful mouth by a very talented up and coming new Canadian author

message 7: by Ronni (new)

Ronni (rgnimps) | 17 comments This is a tough one! I read part of In Memoriam in school and I've always meant to read the whole thing, but that's a commitment. I've tried before and failed.

Poems of New York is another possibility. It's a small book featuring many poets. Maybe some of the other pocket poem collections from Everyman's Library could be good for some of you out there!

message 8: by Christophe (new)

Christophe Bonnet | 212 comments My wife is an academic, and her field of research is contemporary American poetry. So our home is pretty much full of poetry books, mostly American, from 1900 on - much more so in any case than the average French apartment!

Which prompted me to go another way: I read a French poet from the early XXth Century, much less popular than poets like Mallarmé or Apollinaire: Valery Larbaud,Les Poésies de A.O. Barnabooth. This book was published in 1908 under the pretense of being the work of a mysterious American millionaire, while being actually very French; it is altogether beautiful and full of irony.

Since I made a wager to do the challenge twice (40 books is a bit light), I'll probably pick some American poetry the second way round. And I've got plenty of suggestions to the American readers around; you might for instance chose something by Gary Snyder, quite easy to read and whose deep environmentalism has strong resonances today; or something by William Carlos Williams; or something from the beat generation; or the Autobiography of Red by Anne Carson... So many possibilities!

message 9: by Arka (last edited Jan 03, 2016 06:51AM) (new)

Arka Duttagupta | 25 comments There's two good ones for those who want a bit of supernatural or nonsense Phantasmagoria and Other Poems or A Book of Nonsense - More Nonsense

message 10: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments Has anyone read The Wind Blows through the doors of my heart by Deborah Digges or She walks in the beauty by Caroline Kennedy? I am considering one of these for this prompt.

message 11: by Catharina (new)

Catharina (_nekoi) | 93 comments I'm looking into reading Beowulf for this prompt, it turned up on a list of poetry so I'm assuming it's written in verse? Which I think counts :)

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I believe Beowolf is classified as an epic poem which totally counts! I haven't read it since 12th grade English class, but I did just pull out my Norton Anthology which contains a copy :)

message 13: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Yes, Beowulf is written in verse.

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 622 comments Sara wrote: "Megan wrote: "I'm not much in to poetry so I'm going to keep it elementary and select Where the Sidewalk Ends: The Poems and Drawings of Shel Silverstein. Feel free to judge me lol!"

..."

Me too, mostly because pretty much everyone I know has read this at some point but I haven't. I'm not a big fan of poetry in general.

message 15: by Melody (new)

Melody | 203 comments Catharina wrote: "I'm looking into reading Beowulf for this prompt, it turned up on a list of poetry so I'm assuming it's written in verse? Which I think counts :)"

Beowulf is amazing and also a poem! I definitely recommend it!! ❤️❤️❤️

message 16: by Catharina (new)

Catharina (_nekoi) | 93 comments Hurray on Beowulf, thank you :D
And great to hear you recommend it! I've been meaning to read it for years, but it just hasn't happened - now I have a real good reason! ❤️

message 17: by Kerri (last edited Jan 13, 2016 12:50PM) (new)

Kerri | 56 comments I highly recommend Chasers of the Light Poems from the Typewriter Series by Tyler Knott Gregson Chasers of the Light: Poems from the Typewriter Series. I've been a fan of Tyler Knott Gregson for years.
There is a new book out too but I haven't read it yet. All the Words Are Yours Haiku on Love by Tyler Knott Gregson All the Words Are Yours: Haiku on Love

message 18: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments Has anyone read The Wind Blows through the doors of my heart by Deborah Digges or She walks in the beauty by Caroline Kennedy? I am considering one of these for this prompt.

message 19: by Sara (new)

Sara (sorapandora) Tsum Tsum Book of Haiku

I'll most likely read this, or something by Bukowski.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

The Complete Collected Poems by Maya Angelou

message 21: by Sara (new)

Sara (sorapandora) Kerri wrote: "I highly recommend Chasers of the Light Poems from the Typewriter Series by Tyler Knott GregsonChasers of the Light: Poems from the Typewriter Series. I've been a fan of Tyler Knott ..."

I ran across "Chasers of the Light" at Barnes and Noble today, and I remembered that someone recommended it here, so I looked through it. Loved it enough to buy it and take it home with me! Thank you for the suggestion.

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 622 comments I finished Where the Sidewalk Ends: The Poems and Drawings of Shel Silverstein last night as my choice for this prompt. Definitely a book that fares better when read out loud.

message 23: by Leigha (new)

Leigha (leighas_life) Summer, A Season In Verse by Alexander Pope

I finished this challenge. It was a short book, but oh well!

message 24: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Brown (easyqueenie) | 9 comments Would Dante's Inferno count? I've been meaning to read that one.

message 25: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) I read Complete Poetical Works by Edgar Allan Poe for this one - a few poems at a time. I'm not a huge poetry fan, but this was mostly enjoyable.

message 26: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I'm thinking of reading Pop Sonnets: Shakespearean Spins on Your Favorite Songs for this one. That way, it'll also count for my Goodreads Choice Awards challenge.

message 27: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 5907 comments Mod
I just finished Mary Oliver's Dog Songs, which is a collection of her poems about dogs (some had been published in other books) - it was a lot faster to read than I expected, I kind of sat down first thing this morning to read one poem with my coffee, and next thing I knew I'd finished the whole book! I really love dogs, so I was very happy with the theme, and several poems perfectly captured certain dog-like traits, but overall it was not quite as moving as I'd hoped.

message 28: by Rebekah (last edited Apr 10, 2016 08:24PM) (new)

Rebekah | 13 comments "100 Love Sonnets" by Pablo Neruda

100 Love Sonnets by Pablo Neruda

message 29: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Groves | 57 comments I read "Bicycles: Love Poems" by Nikki Giovanni. She has some terrific imagery for depicting various stages and aspects of love and relationships.

message 30: by Cher (new)

Cher | 5 comments I just read Poisoned Apples: Poems for You, My Pretty. It is based on fairy tales and quite amusing. I never expected that I would like it, but I do. For those who wants to just quickly get this prompt over with, this book may be perfect for you

message 31: by Mike (new)

Mike | 443 comments Cher wrote: "I just read Poisoned Apples: Poems for You, My Pretty. It is based on fairy tales and quite amusing. I never expected that I would like it, but I do. For those who wants to just qui..."

Thank you for this suggestion! I finished this one yesterday and it was quite enjoyable. Glad this prompt is over with.

message 32: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I read Catalog of Unabashed Gratitude by Ross Gay for this prompt. It's very free form and enjoyable. Poetry puts all kinds of pictures in my head. Love it.

The book won several awards.

Here's the Goodreads summary:
Winner, 2015 National Book Critics Circle Award, poetry category
Winner, 2016 Kingsley Tufts Poetry Prize
Finalist, 2015 National Book Award, poetry category
Finalist, 2015 NAACP Image Awards, poetry category

Catalog of Unabashed Gratitude is a sustained meditation on that which goes away—loved ones, the seasons, the earth as we know it—that tries to find solace in the processes of the garden and the orchard. That is, this is a book that studies the wisdom of the garden and orchard, those places where all—death, sorrow, loss—is converted into what might, with patience, nourish us.

message 33: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) I read milk and honey for this, it's modern poetry about trauma, loss, love with a feminist slant. I'd really recommend it, I found it a lot more powerful than I'd expected. Please note it should have a trigger warning for sexual abuse (not the whole thing, just the first section).

message 34: by Sara (new)

Sara (velocipedal) | 32 comments The Odyssey--hooray for epics!

message 35: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Hall I read New Selected Poems 1966-87 by Seamus Heaney for this challenge ... I studied Heaney at A-Level and didn't finish reading his whole collection and so I took this opportunity to do so...

I once again enjoyed his poetry and would recommend that people read his work!

message 36: by madmadmadiee (new)

madmadmadiee | 2 comments I just finished this one, "You Get so Alone at Times that It Just Makes Sense" by Bukowski and it was absolutely awesome!

message 37: by Patricia (new)

Patricia My book of poetry may be the first book on my DNF list. I am at least setting it aside for the time being. Drudgery to me to continue it, but I don't like DNFs! We'll see...

message 38: by Amber (new)

Amber | 38 comments I read the three o'clock in the morning sessions by Angie Martin. I'm not big into poetry, but this was free as a Kindle book.

message 39: by Monica (new)

Monica (mcosselman) Booked by Kwame Alexander

message 40: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalyn) | 430 comments If anybody's looking for something short, varied, and free, there's 2016 Fourth Annual Battle of the Bards Poetry Contest: Winning Entries. On the Goodreads page for it, there is a link to a library website where you can download it and previous years' editions at no charge.

I'm counting it for my poetry read in the challenge. I hope that's not cheating, since I have a poem in it. :-)