Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A book with a blue cover

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Don't judge a book by its cover ... unless it fits the prompt.

message 2: by Megan (last edited Feb 08, 2016 06:25AM) (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments I wanted to read the Shatter Me series. I'm pretty sure of of those books in the series has a blue cover...

Edit 2/8/2016 - I ended up reading Do Not Disturb. Its the second book in a series. Its marketed as 50 Shades meets Dexter and its pretty much exactly that!

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I am going to attempt All the Light We Cannot See (again). I really struggled with it this year. Someone mentioned that it picks up about halfway through so that gives me hope. Also, I was trying to listen to the audio version but I really don't like the narrator. I will try to sit down with my hardback.

Emma's Things to Read | 27 comments A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler. The word blue and a blue car on the cover and I've got it sitting on my 'to read' pile already :-)

message 5: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments The lovely bones is blue and a great book

message 6: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindalt) | 99 comments Where'd you go, Bernadette is my pick for this prompt.

message 7: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Ladies and gentlemen,

Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee has a blue cover. And, I just happened to buy the Kindle version on Cyber Monday for $4.99.

message 8: by Melody (new)

Melody | 202 comments The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon Prudence by David Treuer and We Are Pirates by Daniel Handler are all the blue books I haven't read on my bookshelf, so I'll probably read one of those.

Emma wrote: "A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler. The word blue and a blue car on the cover and I've got it sitting on my 'to read' pile already :-)"

Vinegar Girl (Hogarth Shakespeare) by Anne Tyler , Anne Tyler's new book, a modern adaptation of Taming of the Shrew, also has a blue cover!

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie | 63 comments I'm reading Sapphire Blue right now, but that would be a perfect choice.

message 10: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 30 comments A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness

Had it on my bookshelf waiting to be read for entirely too long!

message 11: by Kerri (last edited Dec 04, 2015 01:59PM) (new)

Kerri | 56 comments I read this edition of Stardust a couple of years ago. Stardustby Neil Gaiman Stardust by Neil Gaiman

There is also Blueberry Muffin Murder Blueberry Muffin Murder (Hannah Swensen, #3) by Joanne Fluke by Joanne Fluke.

I'm going to read Blackberry Pie Murder Blackberry Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #17) by Joanne Fluke by Joanne Fluke.

message 12: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Oooh Neil Gaiman! Discovered him last year. Might have to use this idea.

message 13: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 56 comments Stardust was my first Neil Gaiman novel and I loved it.

message 14: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5358 comments Mod
I'm going to read That Summer (Lauren Willig) - two covers but they are both blue.

message 15: by Ashly (new)

Ashly (ashlyh) | 63 comments waiting to be read:
Control (Control, #1) by Lydia Kang The Eye of Minds (The Mortality Doctrine, #1) by James Dashner 100 Sideways Miles by Andrew Smith
Gravity (The Taking, #1) by Melissa West The Hunchback Assignments (The Hunchback Assignments, #1) by Arthur Slade Guardian (Proxy, #2) by Alex London but I have to read the first book.

message 16: by Nadine (new)

Here are some of the books I'm considering (I'm probably going to read the first one for this category):

That Summer by Lauren Willig That Summer (Willig),
Deep Blue (Waterfire Saga, #1) by Jennifer Donnelly Deep Blue (Donnelly),
The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass Selection (Cass),
Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3) by Maggie Stiefvater Blue Lily Lily Blue (Stiefvater),
Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1) by Christopher Paolini Eragon (Paolini),
The Stranger by Harlan Coben The Stranger (Coben),
Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate Fallen (Kate),
The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2) by Michelle Hodkin The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Hodkin),
The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2) by Julie Kagawa The Eternity Cure (Kagawa),
Blink The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell Blink (Gladwell),
Hallowed (Unearthly, #2) by Cynthia Hand Hallowed (Hand),
Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1) by Melissa Marr Wicked Lovely (Marr),
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman The Graveyard Book (Gaiman),
You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day You're Never Weird on the Internet (Day),
The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan Lifeboat (Rogan),
These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) by Amie Kaufman These Broken Stars (Kaufman),
Montana Sky by Nora Roberts Montana Sky (Roberts),

message 17: by Nenda (new)

Nenda | 21 comments I'll read A World Without Islam by Graham E. Fuller

message 18: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments Juanita wrote: "Ladies and gentlemen,

Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee has a blue cover. And, I just happened to buy the Kindle version on Cyber Monday for $4.99."

This is the same book that I automatically thought of too!!

message 19: by Monica (new)

Monica (booksarelove) | 110 comments I'm going to read You Belong to Me by Mary Higgins Clark.

message 20: by Britt (new)

Britt | 25 comments Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, and Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon both have editions with blue covers.

message 21: by Lisette (new)

Lisette Robey | 1 comments Gold! A series I haven't gotten to yet. Time to move it up the list!

message 23: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor | 39 comments I saw someone mention Neil Gaiman- quite a few of his books have had editions with blue covers- Stardust and The Graveyard Book which were mentioned, and also American Gods, Odd and the Frost Giants (which I have, and haven't read...might use for my book you can read in a day), Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neverwhere, and one or two of the Sandman books (may read one of those for my graphic novel)

message 24: by Summer (new)

Summer Clark | 5 comments I plan on reading "All the Light We Cannot See". I've heard some great reviews and I'll be interested to read it for myself :)

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura | 44 comments The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty

I'll be reading (or rather, listening on Audible) to this book. Liane Moriarty is one of my favorite authors, so I'm really looking forward to it.

message 26: by Naaz (new)

Naaz Chima Wedding night by Sophie Kinsella has a blue sky and blue sea in the background.

message 27: by Giedre (new)

Giedre Cinder by Marissa Meyer! it's blue and it's fairly tale retelling.

message 28: by Sana (new)

Sana Zameer (sanazameer) I am going to read Bitter Sweet Love (The Dark Elements, #0.5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Its by Jennifer L Armentrout, my favorite author.

message 29: by Rachel V. (new)

Rachel V. Poling (inareadingrutx1f97a) I am going to read The Truth According To Us for this topic.

message 30: by Catharina (last edited Jan 11, 2016 02:15AM) (new)

Catharina (_nekoi) | 93 comments If you're looking for a quick fun read I recommend:

Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham

By Lauren Graham, I really enjoyed it!

Stardust is also a great tip!

message 31: by Nadine (new)

Lauren Graham would count as "book written by a celebrity" too!

message 32: by Catharina (new)

Catharina (_nekoi) | 93 comments That's true :D

message 33: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 56 comments Catharina wrote: "If you're looking for a quick fun read I recommend:

Stardust is also a great tip!"

I recommend Someday, Someday, Maybe I read it last year and loved it. I think Lauren Graham is writing a second one. If so, I'm looking forward to reading it.

message 34: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 242 comments I read Fates and Furies, which has a blue cover:
Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff .

message 35: by Kimberly (last edited Jan 25, 2016 11:22AM) (new)

Kimberly (purpleypumpkin) | 5 comments How about She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb? I read this a while ago, and really enjoyed it. It was unsettling, but well written.

message 36: by Mike (last edited Jan 21, 2016 05:09AM) (new)

Mike | 443 comments I'll be going with Hoot by Carl Hiaasen .

message 37: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 409 comments Catharina wrote: "If you're looking for a quick fun read I recommend:

Stardust is also a great tip!"

Wow! I didn't know she wrote a novel. I think it's going to be my choice for this category. Thanks!

message 38: by Wenyi (new)

Wenyi | 6 comments I'm gonna read The Elusive Language of Ducks by Judith White

Such a beautiful blue cover! ;)

message 39: by Konnie (new)

Konnie (mrsnaz) I'm reading Number the Stars by Lois Lowry for this one.

message 40: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 18 comments Wenyi wrote: "I'm gonna read The Elusive Language of Ducks by Judith White

Such a beautiful blue cover! ;)"

The cover is so pretty, I just ordered this book to read for the blue cover prompt. Thank you for the idea :-)

message 41: by Nadine (new)

I am reading both of these books right now, neither one is for a Challenge prompt. (they COULD be for autobiography and YA bestseller, respectively, but I already filled both of those categories already) But I just noticed this morning that they both have a tiny bit of blue on the cover. Do either of these have enough blue to count for "blue cover"?
Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness by Alexandra Fuller ... or ... The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater

message 42: by Kira (new)

Kira (kiraaa) | 31 comments My copy of The Little Prince has a blue cover. I bought it last year because I've never read it before and it's in French. I guess I'll finally get to it this year.

message 43: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Nadine wrote: "I just noticed this morning that they both have a tiny bit of blue on the cover. Do either of these have enough blue to count for "blue cover"?"

Nadine,

I think it might be a stretch to say either of those are "blue covers." Having said that, I think if reading either of them stretched your reading interests, go for it! This is an individual challenge designed in many ways to break us out of our reading comfort zones.

More importantly, how is Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness? I just bought it at a used book store and it's in my TBR pile. I already filled autobiography too so I'd have to move some books around to fit it in the challenge this year. (But I will probably read it anyway because I loved Alexandra Fuller's Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight.

message 44: by Nadine (new)

Yes I've decided "blue cover" is a stretch, BUT I happily realized that Dream Thieves is set during summer, and I'd been having a hard time settling on a book for that prompt. Cocktail Hour will just be a non-Challenge book for me.

Cocktail Hour was very good. The first part was a bit disappointing, because it lacks the immediacy that I felt in her first memoir; whenever she was writing about her mother or father or a grandparent during the time before she was born, it's more a recital of facts than an engaging memoir. (That's not to say that it's not well written! here is a paragraph about one of her grandmothers:
My grandmother escaped this Dickensian shelter to stay with the crofters who lived and worked on the estate. From them she picked up fluent Gaelic. She learned how to sneak up on razor fish by walking backward along the beach. She collected carrageen and swam in the warm currents of the Atlantic with wild otters and seals. She galloped her family’s crossbred Arabian Highland horses bareback across the heather. She spent her nights in the natural, warm clatter of the housekeeper’s lodge, a cottage made entirely of corrugated iron, so that nobody could hear anybody speak whenever the wind blew or whenever it rained, which was almost all the time, so no one bothered much with conversation. It was, in many ways, a charmed and feral childhood.

When she gets to the part after she's born, it feels much more engaging. Some of it goes over the same events that were in the first book. She does point out that her mother pretty much stopped speaking to her for TWO YEARS after the first book was published, which made me feel a little bit squicky about reading such intimate details about her mother in this memoir. I hope her mother approved the copy before it was published; no one deserves to have their privacy violated.

message 45: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Nadine wrote: "She does point out that her mother pretty much stopped speaking to her for TWO YEARS after the first book was published, which made me feel a little bit squicky about reading such intimate details about her mother in this memoir."

Interesting for sure.

Also, I love this "... a charmed and feral childhood."

message 46: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (simmyreads) | 11 comments About 5 of the books I've read so far have blue covers. I'm using them in the other categories they fit in, and if (when) I find another book to fit one of those other categories, I'll just move a book. I'm finding lots of books I want to read that overlap categories, and some categories are difficult to fill.

message 47: by Nadine (new)

Stacey wrote: " ...I'm finding lots of books I want to read that overlap categories, and some categories are difficult to fill. "

Me too! I've got a big spreadsheet, and I put an X in every column for all the categories that each book fulfills; I make the X red for the category that I'm using it for. This way it will be easy to switch things around if I need to. A few books I started reading outside of this challenge, and while I was reading I figured out that they could also fulfill a prompt.

message 48: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (simmyreads) | 11 comments Nadine wrote: "Stacey wrote: " ...I'm finding lots of books I want to read that overlap categories, and some categories are difficult to fill. "

Me too! I've got a big spreadsheet, and I put an X in every column..."

Wow! I'm impressed, you are way more organized than I am. I put the prompts in my dayplanner, giving 2 weeks for longer/difficult books, and 1 for shorter books. The order has been switched up from the original list due to working around other obligations. I have word document with my new order so I have a page at a glance ability to keep track of what books I have yet to find.

message 49: by Malgorzata (new)

Malgorzata | 24 comments I've just started reading All the Light We Cannot See and, so far, I love it! It's beautifully written and quite magical, and even though there's not much happening, action-wise, for the first 100 pages or so, you just feel like you need to read on. It draws you in, it's hard to put down.

message 50: by Leigha (new)

Leigha (leighas_life) I am going to read The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

« previous 1