Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A dystopian novel

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments At this point, are there any dystopian novels left?

Please share some suggestions on this one.

message 2: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Margaret Atwood's new one is supposedly in that genre. As well as The Handmaid's Tale, Oryx and Crake series, Never Let me Go, 1984, Animal Farm. I love dystopias :)

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Just browse the YA section and you'll find plenty!

message 4: by Megan (last edited Jan 08, 2016 07:24AM) (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 539 comments I'm planning on either Reboot or The Book of Ivy.

message 5: by Ashly (new)

Ashly (ashlyh) | 63 comments I don't read a lot of Dystopian but I do have a couple on my shelf Ship Breaker, Little Brother, Proxy, Control, Firefight, Pirate Cinema, Red Rising, The Knife of Never Letting Go, The Eye of Minds, Gravity,

message 6: by Nenda (new)

Nenda | 21 comments Anyone has suggestion for newer dystopian literature that is not YA. I have read 1984, Brave New World, Never Let Me Go, and other classics already.

message 7: by Melody (new)

Melody | 203 comments The Dream of Perpetual Motion by Dexter Palmer is one of my favorite dystopias. It's an African American steampunk retellikg of the tempest. Pizzeria Kamikaze by Etgar Keret is also really good. It's a graphic novel about a man who kills himself and wakes up in a dystopian world full of other people who have committed suicide. It isn't so much a new book, but it also isn't a classic, so if you haven't, read Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut. It's one of his more obscure works, but it might be my favorite of his.

message 8: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Margaret Atwood released a new book this year, The Heart Goes Last. I love her fiction and I haven't read it yet but it's supposed to be in the thread of the Handmaids Tale so pretty sure it's dystopian.

message 9: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 5624 comments Mod
I LOVE dystopians!! My problem will be choosing which ONE to read ;-) If you're really hard up for ideas, I think you can access my bookshelves by clicking on my name? I currently have 108 books shelved as "dystopian and post-apocalyptic." (Some of these are zombie books- I do like zombie books, too. And yes a lot of them are YA!)

Here are a few books I jotted down as ideas for what I could read for this Challenge category (I'm leaning towards Children of Men, but I'm keeping my options loose). I'm not actually sure if these are all technically "dystopian" - some of them may be simply post-apocalyptic. I admit I blur the lines between those two, I'm not a purist. About half of these are YA:

Wither (DeStefano),
Across the Universe (Revis),
Uglies (Westerfeld),
The City of Ember (DuPrau),
The Windup Girl (Bacigalupi),
The Drowned Cities (Bacigalupi),
Taking on the Dead (Walls),
The First Days (Frater),
Rebel (Tintera),
Zone One (Whitehead),
Angelfall (Ee),
The Selection(Cass),
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (Dick),
The Children of Men (James),
How I Live Now (Rosoff),
Snow Crash (Stephenson),
Parable of the Sower (Butler),
The Lathe of Heaven (LeGuin),
The Iron Heel (London)

message 10: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nenda asked: "Anyone has suggestion for newer dystopian literature that is not YA. I have read 1984, Brave New World, Never Let Me Go, and other classics already."

Some adult dystopians from the past few years: Station Eleven, California, Find Me, The Bone Clocks, The Dead Lands, Ready Player One, The Girl with All the Gifts. I haven't read all of these, but of the ones that I have, they deal more with how people are managing to adjust and survive rather than with the details of the new oppressive regime.

I LOVED Station Eleven when I read it last year!!!

message 11: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) A good one I read this year (that wasn't geared towards YA) was J by Howard Jacobson J by Howard Jacobson

message 12: by Christophe (new)

Christophe Bonnet | 212 comments Advice part: I read John Brunner's Stand on Zanzibar last year: that could easily fit the dystopian category (and also the 600p+ category...).

2016 Challenge part: I just finished Nous autres (English edition: We), by Yevgeny Zamyatin. This being the precursor to Orwell's 1984, it's a perfect fit for this prompt!

message 13: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments http://www.silverpetticoatreview.com/...

Here is a list of some that I found online! I was already planning on reading Mazerunner for another prompt. Now I don't know what to do! haha. Maybe I will read another part of the series for this one!

message 14: by Nadine in NY (new)

Marisa wrote: "http://www.silverpetticoatreview.com/...

Here is a list of some that I found online! I was already planning on reading Mazerunner for another prompt. Now I..."

Great list!!! I was kinda sorta thinking about reading The Red Queen, but I didn't realize it was dystopian. And, to my surprise, there are a few books on the list that I've never heard of! (and a few that I loved, and a few that I really didn't like at all ... )

message 15: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristy67) | 53 comments I'm reading We for this one, too!

message 16: by Cynthia (last edited Jan 08, 2016 07:22AM) (new)

Cynthia (cyntax) In a Perfect World (also could fit the "based on a fairy tale" category)
California
The Road
The Blondes (not quite dystopian but I think it counts)
The Dead Lands
Gold Fame Citrus

message 17: by CarleyB (new)

CarleyB | 35 comments I have quite a few in my TBR pile that I need to get to.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood The Handmaid's Tale
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Ready Player One
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel Station Eleven

message 18: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Weber | 264 comments I'm going to finally read Requiem, the last book of the Delirium Trilogy. Not really a huge fan of the series but I feel the need to complete it and it's not so bad that I can't make it through one last book.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer

message 20: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn (singingbron) | 17 comments The first book I read this year was The Natural Way of Things by Charlotte Wood, and it would definitely fit the category of dystopian fiction. It's pretty grim in places, but this was a powerful book that stayed with me for days after I finished it. I guess you'd say that it explores some of the same themes as Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale, in that it looks at misogyny and the treatment of women. I'd highly recommend it, particularly for those looking for more recent dystopian literature that isn't YA.

message 21: by Lara (new)

Lara Willard (veritylane) I'm reading Legend right now, but Red Rising is also on my list.

message 22: by Angie (new)

Angie (sparkingjoyinreading) | 32 comments I read Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. Excellent novel!!!

message 24: by Leigha (new)

Leigha (leighas_life) I am going to read The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness

message 25: by Christi (new)

Christi | 45 comments I listened to the audiobook version of The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde.

A crazy alternate England where literature has its own police force, people change their name to match their favorite poets and dodos are household pets. Very fun for those who have read Dickens, Bronte, and other British classics.

message 26: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I finished Logan's Run by William F. Nolan & George Clayton Johnson tonight. It is science fiction, dystopian, and I finished it one day, but I filed it under a book under 150 pages.

message 27: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I just finished Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman Illuminae by Amie Kaufman for this prompt, but it would also count as science fiction or a romance set in the future. It is 599 pages long and so just misses the qualification for the book over 600 pages.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 28: by Nadine in NY (new)

I just finished reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? for another task, and I thought it was really fantastic!! I can't believe I never read it before! This is a classic, a must-read.

Bridget - books.and.essentials (booksandessentials) | 3 comments My brother-in-law recommends the Red Rising series to me regularly.

message 30: by Janet (new)

Janet Cripe (jcripe) | 35 comments I finished Red Rising by Pierce Brown. This was a surprisingly good book considering the amount of dystopian fiction out there. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

message 31: by Katie (new)

Katie Kaste (brite0321) | 26 comments I am going to tackle "The Catcher in the Rye" finally, for this category. I am excited to see what all the fuss is about. I skipped it in high school.

message 32: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Katie wrote: "I am going to tackle "The Catcher in the Rye" finally, for this category. I am excited to see what all the fuss is about. I skipped it in high school."

IMHO I wouldn't consider this dystopian. It has an anti-hero as the protagonist, but it's set in a normal US society.

Just my 2 cents.

message 33: by Nadine in NY (new)

Agreed, Catcher in the Rye is not a dystopian.

message 34: by Monica (new)

Monica (mcosselman) Gone

It was okay. I am tired of YA Dystopian which all seem like copycats now of Hunger Games and Divergent.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm excited to start reading The Country of Ice Cream Star as soon as I get borrow it from my library. I might be mislabeling the genre on this book, but I'm fairly certain it's dystopian.

message 36: by Riley (new)

Riley (rileyfickett) I listened to Animal Farm by George Orwell on audiobook in April. Wow - what a fascinating story. I'm so disappointed I was not prompted to read more George Orwell in school. I've read both this title and 1984 within the last 12 months and have been totally enthralled by both.

Animal Farm by George Orwell

message 37: by Erin (new)

Erin Adkinson | 18 comments I tried doing a book on tape for this one and did Red Queen. I didn't really enjoy it but I think it's just because I only enjoy self-improvement type books on tape, not plots that need close attention.

message 38: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 2 comments Can someone recommend a dystopian novel that is a stand alone book and isn't part of a series?

message 39: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (kiik) | 158 comments We, Brave New World, Super Sad True Love Story are 3 just off the top of my head.

message 40: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 539 comments Stephanie wrote: "Can someone recommend a dystopian novel that is a stand alone book and isn't part of a series?"

Maybe look in to The Host.

Or Ready Player One - technically that has a sequel but the sequel didn't get very good reviews.

There's also Fahrenheit 451.

message 41: by Nadine in NY (new)

Stephanie wrote: "Can someone recommend a dystopian novel that is a stand alone book and isn't part of a series?"

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Snow Crash
The Children of Men
Who Fears Death (I think she did write a sequel for this, but it works as a stand alone)
The Gracekeepers
Ship Breaker (he did write a sequel, but this also works as a stand alone)
and
Station Eleven

I loved all of these books, but especially the first one and the last one on my list!

message 42: by Mike (new)

Mike | 443 comments Ready Player One is fantastic. I can't recommend it enough.

There is no sequel out to it yet. Megan, if you're talking about Armada, it is also a standalone book and not a sequel. I liked it, but as much as RPO.

message 43: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 539 comments My mistake Mike! :)

message 44: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Definitely recommend Station Eleven for this one, I really enjoyed it

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Martha wrote: "Definitely recommend Station Eleven for this one, I really enjoyed it"

Almost done reading that. It is one of the best books I've read in a long while, and I'm not usually interested in the post-apocalyptic/dystopian genre.

message 46: by Sara (new)

Sara (velocipedal) | 32 comments I read Brave New World. Never read it in high school

message 47: by Amber (new)

Amber | 38 comments I read Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

message 48: by Nadine in NY (new)

Do you all think The Last One counts as a dystopian?

message 49: by poshpenny (new)

poshpenny | 1686 comments Nadine wrote: "Do you all think The Last One counts as a dystopian?"

I see some people have it shelved that way here, but looking at the description plus publisher and retail websites I don't see it that way. Looks apocalyptic but not dystopian to me.

message 50: by Nadine in NY (new)

poshpenny wrote: "Nadine wrote: "Do you all think The Last One counts as a dystopian?"

I see some people have it shelved that way here, but looking at the description plus publisher and retail websi..."

Yes that is my feeling too. I'm reading it right now, and it appears to take place during and immediately after a massive viral outbreak. It's really good!! But more of a post-apocalypse type scenario. Which is too bad, because I need another dystopian to fill a challenge category in the Around the Year challenge!! When I saw some people had shelved it that way, I started to wonder if I could use it ...

I like dystopians, so it won't be painful to "have to" read another one later.

« previous 1