Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A murder mystery

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments A classic whodunit? A murder mystery ...

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Agatha Christie for me! I read And Then There Were None this year so I'm planning to read Murder on the Orient Express for next year.

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments I was going to read In the Woods in 2016 anyways so I'm going to use that one to fill this prompt. According to goodreads, there's five books in that series. All five are on my to be read.

message 4: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5348 comments Mod
Oh I enjoyed In The Woods! Maybe I'll read the sequel for mine. I read a lot of mysteries so I won't have a problem fulfilling this one.

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Since I'm always reading murder mysteries, I'll just have to put down the first mystery I finishe in 2016.

message 6: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I read the cuckoo's calling this year so I may do another one by him/her :)

message 7: by Ashly (new)

Ashly (ashlyh) | 63 comments I really want to read these books next year, Every Breath, Lock & Mori, A Study in Charlotte, all Sherlock Holmes retellings.

message 8: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments Would The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo stories fall into this category?

message 9: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I knew this would be one of the first to go as I always seem to be reading a murder mystery.

Murder Fir Christmas (Christmas Tree Valley Mysteries #1) by Joyce Lavene Murder Fir Christmas byJoyce Lavene

message 10: by CarleyB (new)

CarleyB | 35 comments This is probably my hardest one to pick because I have so many that I want to choose from!

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie And Then There Were None
A Study in Scarlet / The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle A Study in Scarlet / The Hound of the Baskervilles
The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell, #1) by Laurie R. King The Beekeeper's Apprentice

message 11: by Ms Bridget (new)

Ms Bridget (obridget2) | 6 comments For my murder mystery, I read:
Hello, Darkness by Sandra Brown Hello, Darkness by Sandra Brown

My Review/Thoughts:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 12: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Weber | 263 comments I'm not really into murder mysteries. Would Clive Cussler be too outside the genre? I know his books are more action/thrillers than mystery. But there's always a murder!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Murder of the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

message 14: by Nicole (last edited Jan 27, 2016 07:53PM) (new)

Nicole Kressin | 8 comments I read The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens and wow, it was a page turner!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

For the murder mystery I read
The A.B.C. Murders (Hercule Poirot, #13) by Agatha Christie

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lrclark83) I read River Road, a new book by my favorite author, Carol Goodman. it could also be used for the category a book published in 2016.

message 17: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Murray | 9 comments I read One for the Money for this challenge. Funny and cute. It is almost identical to the movie and I enjoyed both. Now on to read the second book in the series. How many are in this series again? Like 20 something? I'm going to be reading these for the rest of my life.

One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich

message 18: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jmarie84) | 19 comments Brittany wrote: "I read One for the Money for this challenge. Funny and cute. It is almost identical to the movie and I enjoyed both. Now on to read the second book in the series. How many are in this series again?..."

I love this series!!! So funny. I think I left off on number 17. I even named my dog Ranger after these books :)

message 19: by KLB (new)

KLB (klynnb) | 27 comments Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith (AKA JK Rowling)

message 20: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Grayson | 9 comments I read Thunder Point by Krueger. Don't read a lot of mysteries ... Enjoyed it!

message 21: by Malgorzata (new)

Malgorzata | 24 comments I grew to love murder mysteries and I'm glad they frequently feature in Amazon's Kindle Daily Deals. I'm just starting on today's purchase - The Widow by Fiona Barton. The reviews are a mixed bag, but I thought I'd give it a go anyway, just to see how I like it.

message 22: by Leigha (new)

Leigha (leighas_life) For this, I am reading The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith

message 23: by Christi (new)

Christi | 45 comments I read The Lake House by Kate Morton.
A murder mystery set in the countryside of England in the 1930s with the investigation and resolution happening in 2003. The storytelling was excellent.

message 24: by JoAnna (new)

JoAnna | 84 comments I just finished An Unfinished Clue by Georgette Heyer for this category.

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie Kaste (brite0321) | 26 comments I want to read Death Comes to Pemberly for this one. The I want to watch the BBC miniseries.

message 26: by Katie (new)

Katie Kaste (brite0321) | 26 comments I want to read Death Comes to Pemberly for this one. The I want to watch the BBC miniseries.

message 27: by Katie (new)

message 28: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5348 comments Mod
Leigha wrote: "For this, I am reading The Cuckoo's Calling" I was surprised by how much I LOVED this book!! I listened to the audiobook, only because my library didn't have the book I really wanted at the time - FANTASTIC! Great audiobook, too, I really loved the reader, so much so that I think I'll listen to the rest of the books too instead of reading them.

message 29: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Tack | 31 comments I just read The Book of Speculation and loved it. Was considering using it as my murder mystery... but it's definitely not a traditional murder mystery!!

Has anyone else read this book? Do you think it fits this category?

message 30: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Just finished reading Belshazzar's Daughter by Barbara Nadel Belshazzar's Daughter by Barbara Nadel, an enjoyable murder mystery set in Turkey.

message 31: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I just finished Death Wears a Mask by Ashley Weaver. This is her second book, and I just love them. They are "lightweight" mysteries that remind me very much of Agatha Christie's style. When I was younger I read a lot of heavy duty "let's psychoanalyze the killer" murder mystery books (Patricia Cornwell was a favorite back in the day), but I really don't like that anymore.

So if you are looking for a classy, gore-free murder mystery with a likeable main character for this category give these a look. First book is calledMurder at the Brightwell

message 32: by Christi (new)

Christi | 45 comments Sara, I read Murder at the Brightwell last year as my selection for written by someone under thirty. It was a terrific story. I agree that sometimes a simple murder at a mansion during a party can be a nice change of pace. Too many scary psychos in a row and I can't sleep!

message 33: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 78 comments I read Murder at the Vicarage. I like Agatha Christie but only read a handful. This was my first Miss Marple, and she was a great character. Very nosy, but very sharp, too. "Miss Marple is usually right. That's what makes her unpopular."

I also just finished The Cuckoo's Calling, and I loved it, too! Great characters, traditional style investigation, surprise twist. Very well written, too.

message 34: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Just finished reading Mortal Causes (Inspector Rebus, #6) by Ian Rankin Mortal Causes by Ian Rankin. It would qualify for this prompt.

message 35: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 409 comments Does In Cold Blood would work in that category?

message 36: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Fannie wrote: "Does In Cold Blood would work in that category?"

I wouldn't think so. In Cold Blood is true crime. Also, there's no mystery in that you know who did it from the get-go.

message 37: by Christi (new)

Christi | 45 comments Fannie wrote: "Does In Cold Blood would work in that category?"

In Cold Blood would work for "a classic from the 20th century" and "a New York Times bestseller."

It's SUCH a good book. I kept forgetting that it was a real story.

message 38: by Riley (new)

Riley (rileyfickett) I'm finally continuing the Jack Daniels Mysteries series by J.A. Konrath with Bloody Mary. Whiskey Sour was so funny (dry humor - my fave) and thrilling and I don't know why it's taken me so long to pick up the second book in this series. I will be reading this in October - a very appropriate time for a murder mystery!

Bloody Mary (Jack Daniels Mystery, #2) by J.A. Konrath

message 39: by Katie (new)

Katie Schmoyer | 7 comments The Woman in Cabin 10 but then didn't care for it 2/3 way through so read Joanne Fluke's Peach Cobbler Murder.

message 40: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 178 comments I read Sharp Objects . I had mixed feelings about the book itself but overall it fit the category very well.

message 41: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 30 comments You Will Know Me by Megan Abbott it was ok, but I was really hyped to read it and was disappointed.

message 42: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) I read Case Histories for this one, but I'll definitely need to check out The Cuckoo's Calling, I'd been wondering if it was any good!

message 43: by Sara (new)

Sara (velocipedal) | 32 comments I read Philip K. Dick's The Minority Report. I think this is the one case in which I prefer the film to the book.

message 44: by Monica (new)

message 45: by Amber (new)

Amber | 38 comments I read Big, Little Lies by Liane Moriarty.

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments I just finished And Then There Were None, and I was blown away! I literally couldn't put it down, and finished the whole thing in about 4 hours.

message 47: by Kim (new)

Kim Erickson (madtroll) | 1 comments Tony Hillerman's Dance Hall of the Dead