Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A book that takes place during summer

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments In 2015, we had a book that takes place during Christmas. In 2016, we can move to warmer climates with a book that takes place during summer.

One of my favorites was Summer Sisters by Judy Blume.

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments Second Chance Summer was a good one for me. I enjoyed it and even though its 450 pages it still was a quick read for me. I think I'm going to go with Keeping the Moon - its been on my bookshelf for a long time.

message 3: by Ariel (new)

Ariel | 33 comments Pretty much any Sarah Dessen book could be a good choice for this one.

message 4: by Monica (new)

Monica (booksarelove) | 113 comments I plan to read The Last Summer (of You and Me) by Ann Brashares.

message 5: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I loved that book, it was sad but I thought a nice follow up to the rest of the sisterhood of the traveling pants series

message 6: by Monica (last edited Dec 26, 2015 04:21PM) (new)

Monica (booksarelove) | 113 comments Tara, I figured that I wouldn't read it until I read the traveling pants, but I checked with wikipedia, and it doesn't have anything to do with the traveling pants series.

This is what wikipedia says: The Last Summer (of You and Me) is a novel by Ann Brashares. Her first novel for adults, and her first outside of her acclaimed Traveling Pants series, was released on June 6, 2007 by Riverhead Books.

message 7: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Oh that's right, I was mixing it up with sisterhood everlasting. I did read the last summer too and loved it :)

message 8: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (purpleglow) | 5 comments Anyone with recommendation(s) that aren't "chick lit"? :-)

message 9: by Melody (new)

Melody | 203 comments Tiffany wrote: "Anyone with recommendation(s) that aren't "chick lit"? :-)"

Adult Literary Fiction:
I'm probably going to read Prudence by David Treuer, which is historical fiction about a resort on an Ojibwe reservation during WWII when America put German POW labor camps on Indian reservations and the stuff that happens there one summer. The Mysteries Of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon is an adult (as opposed to YA) coming of age novel. It's been a couple years since I read it, but I remember The Slaves of Solitude by Parrick Hamilton, which is a fantastic novel about a group of quirky London boarders forced to live in the suburbs during the Blitz, taking place during the summer. I've never read it, but Ian McEwan's popular novel Atonement takes place in summertime. Classics The Great Gatsby and The Bell Jar also take place during the summer.

YA
I'm also interested in I'm Not Scared by Niccolo Ammaniti, which is a popular mystery YA book from Italy. The entire Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children series by Ransom Riggs takes place almost entirely during the summer. To Kill a Mockingbird is also set during the summer.

Graphic Novels
If you like graphic novels at all Lumberjanes is a whimsical and fun middle grade ongoing comic series about a group of girls at an outdoorsy summer camp, and Jillian and Mariko Tamaki's This One Summer is supposed to be super good.

Plays
Porgy & Bess is an opera about two outcasts living in the black slums of Charleston in the early 20th century. A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare is obv set during the summer. Twelve Angry Men is about a jury making a difficult decision in the summer heat.

message 10: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (purpleglow) | 5 comments Melody wrote: "Tiffany wrote: "Anyone with recommendation(s) that aren't "chick lit"? :-)"

Adult Literary Fiction:
I'm probably going to read Prudence by David Treuer, which is historical fiction..."

Melody - I'm sending you a friend request and a long message. :)

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (ohmandy70) I'm going way back and reading a book I've had on my shelf for years but have never read.

Jaws

message 13: by Jillian (new)

Jillian I found this list of Books set during the summer.
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

message 14: by Karin (new)

Karin | 9 comments I'm reading The Devil's Star by Jo Nesbo for this category. It's a murder mystery during the summer vacation.
The Devil's Star

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Battle Royale by Koushan Takami

message 16: by Britt (new)

Britt | 25 comments Cujo by Stephen King

message 17: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Just finished reading Emma: A Modern Retelling by Alexander McCall Smith for this prompt.

message 18: by Leigha (new)

Leigha (leighas_life) The Summer I Turned Pretty (Summer, #1) by Jenny Han Here is what I am reading.

message 19: by AF (new)

AF | 345 comments Does When We Collided work as a summer book? It mentions summer in the description. ..

message 20: by Alex (new)

Alex | 27 comments Gone Girl is a summer book!

message 21: by Angie (new)

Angie Simmonds I am reading Summer at Sea, so far OK but only a few chapters in....

message 22: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (ellie_h) | 2 comments Hey guys, I read "Dandelion Wine" by Ray Bradbury for this. It's a beautiful collection of short stories that take place over one summer, it's a quick read, but it will also make you cry and ruminate on your mortality.

message 23: by Christi (new)

Christi | 45 comments I read The Color of Water in July by Nora Carroll.
It is a great summer read! Perfect to pack for a plane ride or a trip to the beach.
It takes place in July in a summer community on a lake in Michigan. Jess hasn't been there since she was a teenager. But must go back when she inherits her grandmother's summer cottage. Along the way she stumbles across some family secrets.
It's a really good summer book.

message 24: by Steven (new)

Steven Perry | 47 comments I did Of Mice and Men for this one

message 25: by JoAnna (new)

JoAnna | 84 comments I recently read Our Souls at Night, the bulk of which takes place during the summer.

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 623 comments I'm reading My Life Next Door

message 27: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 78 comments I read Cold Comfort Farm for this. Technically stretching it because it starts in winter but the most important part is during the summer. I really could not find a book I have not read yet that fits this category strictly and I wanted to read.

Although Lumberjanes is on my list, I could probably swap that in.

message 28: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 6300 comments Mod
I used The Dream Thieves for this, but that was kind of accidental, I was reading it anyway and then realized it's set during the summer.

message 29: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Nadine wrote: "I used The Dream Thieves for this, but that was kind of accidental, I was reading it anyway and then realized it's set during the summer."

That's how I do with many of the challenges. I didn't look for some of them just checked the challenge against books I've just finished.

message 30: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 112 comments I am reading Mystic Summer by Hannah McKinnon by Hannah McKinnon. After three chapters, it looks pretty good.

message 31: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Hall I read Dark Fire by C.J. Sansom ... Matthew Shardlake is chasing the mysterious Dark Fire in the sweltering summer heats of Henry VIII's and his wife Anne of Cleve's Tudor London :) Amazing!!!

message 32: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Groves | 57 comments I checked out a library book called, appropriately, Summer, by Edith Wharton. I haven't read it yet, but since I found it on a list of books taking place in summer, I assume that's true! I've got some backup ideas if it isn't: Sag Harbor by Colson Whitehead, Summerland by Michael Chabon, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith, and The Dangerous Summer by Hemingway.

message 33: by Booklover (new)

Booklover | 55 comments Waking Kate and Tuck Everlasting are both set in summer, and enjoyable reads.

message 34: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nancy wrote: "I checked out a library book called, appropriately, Summer, by Edith Wharton. I haven't read it yet, but since I found it on a list of books taking place in summer, I assume that's true! I've got some backup ideas if it isn't..." I haven't read the rest of those, but I can tell you that A Tree Grows in Brooklyn takes place in all seasons, across the span of quite a few years (Francie grows from a little girl to an adult out on her own), so I wouldn't really say it takes place during summer (well, it DOES, but it also takes place in spring, fall, and winter). I actually (stupidly?) thought it was going to be more about that tree, but the tree is rarely mentioned!

message 35: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Groves | 57 comments Nadine wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I checked out a library book called, appropriately, Summer, by Edith Wharton. I haven't read it yet, but since I found it on a list of books taking place in summer, I assume that's tr..."
I can't remember where I got those summer titles, but probably from a list, maybe even a GoodReads list. I've noticed, though, that they often have titles that I know don't fit the category, or would only if you really stretched the definition. I hope to read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn someday, but if my first choice for a summer book doesn't work, I'll probably not go with Brooklyn. Although it's not a requirement of the task, my plan is to read the "summer" book during the summer. If I use the Labor Day weekend as my end point, I don't want to start a long book. There's more time if I extend summer reading to the first day of autumn!

message 36: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nancy wrote: " can't remember where I got those summer titles, but probably from a list, maybe even a GoodReads list. I've noticed, though, that they often have titles that I know don't fit the category..." This has happened to me, too!

message 37: by Lili (new)

Lili  Marcus (lilikmarcus) | 8 comments Can you guys suggest the MOST AMAZING book I can read for this category? Please...I'm tired of YA so it would be best if it's a litt;e mature..Thank You.

message 38: by Giulia (new)

Giulia | 41 comments I've read Atonement by Ian McEwan for this prompt because I've seen it mentioned in a list about books taking place during summer and I already wanted to read it.
In fact, only the first part is set in summer, but it's pivotal for the rest of the novel, so I think it can count.

message 39: by Erin (new)

Erin Adkinson | 18 comments The Awakening Maybe it's me but I found this very difficult to stay engaged with.

message 40: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Erin wrote: "The Awakening Maybe it's me but I found this very difficult to stay engaged with."

I read that for the less than 150 pages prompt, and totally agree - couldn't get into it at all!

Like a few here I was struggling to find one that wasn't Chick Lit, but I discovered Rebecca is set in Summer - bingo! Loved it, cracking book.

message 41: by Amber (new)

Amber | 38 comments For this, I read Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre.

message 42: by Lindi (new)

Lindi (lindimarie) Has anyone read The Silkworm? I am reading The Cuckoo's Calling for a protagonist with your occupation, and I wanted to fit the follow up into a category for this challenge..and this is pretty much the last prompt it could possibly fill.

Does anyone know if it takes place in summer, or partly?

message 43: by Nadine in NY (new)

Yes I read The Silkworm (just as good as Cuckoo! I love this series) - not summer, it's during winter. He slips in the snow and in another scene Robin's car slides in the snow. Sorry! But still worth reading!!

message 44: by Lindi (new)

Lindi (lindimarie) Nadine wrote: "Yes I read The Silkworm (just as good as Cuckoo! I love this series) - not summer, it's during winter. He slips in the snow and in another scene Robin's car slides in the snow. Sorry! But still wor..."

Thank you for letting me know Nadine! I'll just somehow have to fit them in. I'm behind in the challenge and wanted to hit two birds with one stone haha. Loving Cuckoo so far however.

message 45: by Kim (new)

Kim Erickson (madtroll) | 1 comments I'm reading One Summer: America, 1927 by Bill Bryson. Bryson is one of my favorite authors, however I'm having a hard time finishing this book. It just hasn't "grabbed" me as of yet.