Support for Indie Authors discussion

Fun > Haven't we all been there?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (new)

Joe Jackson (shoelessauthor)

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Looks a bit like my shelf, but that's more a slight against my domesticity. ;)

And yes, oh yes, I have been there.

message 3: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

message 4: by Ceanmohrlass (new)

Ceanmohrlass Ceanmohrlass | 69 comments Yes, been there myself lolol

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Jensen (kdragon) | 468 comments The ironic thing for me is that I can get friends and family to read my stuff fairly easily. The general public on the other hand...

message 6: by Ann, Supreme Overlord (new)

Ann Andrews (annliviandrews) | 687 comments Mod
My friends? Not gonna touch my work. My husband's friends? Ask me about how it's going every time they see me and they've all bought my books.

message 7: by Charles (new)

Charles Hash | 1054 comments There are people in my circle of friends and family that I don't want reading my work.

message 8: by Joe (new)

Joe Jackson (shoelessauthor) I kid you not, I have friends who I offered a copy of the first draft to read and give feedback on back in 2009, and they still haven't started. :p

message 9: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 4 comments WIFE BE LIKE... say no more.

message 10: by Frederick (new)

Frederick Finch | 99 comments World against the writer... it is so sad... :) :)

message 11: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (whatmatters) | 124 comments Joe
Friends be like..."I can't wait to read!"

I didn't even get that much - completely on my own.

Charles wrote: "There are people in my circle of friends and family that I don't want reading my work."

Yeah, you and me both. I'm struggling with handing over a copy this weekend to a relative. They are to close to the author. I'm fine with strangers reading.

When I was younger creating artwork, I had a nonchalant attitude, if you like it you like, I was too enthralled to care. Eight, twelve hours would go by and I didn't notice time passing.

With writing, I feel like I have someone looking over my shoulder, but it also conveys a hell of a lot more information than a picture or sculpture

message 12: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne Bland (roxanne2) | 100 comments I only give books away to friends and relatives if they had a hand in its production, that is, if they were beta readers. If they're interested enough, they'll buy it. If not, then not.

message 13: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes (mudmule99) | 11 comments My bff was the only one who actually read both books completely, right away and gave me honest feedback. The others I gave them too said I made them blush or it was too graphic or too violent.. whichever and they didn't finish it.

message 14: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (whatmatters) | 124 comments V.M. wrote: ...Besides, I don't want my friends and family reading my work and realizing I'm a weirdo... wait, they probably already know.

True, but now they have proof! ;)

Where's the 'delete inhibition' button?

message 15: by Hava (new)

Hava Zuidema (havajz) | 1 comments My mom started getting really paranoid that I do drugs after I let her read my book... she's still suspicious.

message 16: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4270 comments Mod
Hava wrote: "My mom started getting really paranoid that I do drugs after I let her read my book... she's still suspicious."

Exactly why I don't really want my family reading my work. Never have done an illegal drug, but I'm sure they would think I do, and worse, if they were to read the stuff I write.

message 17: by C.S. (new)

C.S. Bower | 37 comments It was a rude awakening for me to learn that likes, comments, enthusiasm, encouragement and "I can't wait to read your book" do not equal book sales. If I had sold a book for every like and comment I'd received before releasing my book, I'd be a best selling author by now.

message 18: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) C.S. wrote: "It was a rude awakening for me to learn that likes, comments, enthusiasm, encouragement and "I can't wait to read your book" do not equal book sales. If I had sold a book for every like and comment..."

Think of it this way: you got likes, support, and encouragement. There is a post in this group with 300+ comments from authors who don't have this. Friends and family are not customers, but to have their support is valuable in its own way.

message 19: by Joe (new)

Joe Jackson (shoelessauthor) C.S. wrote: "It was a rude awakening for me to learn that likes, comments, enthusiasm, encouragement and "I can't wait to read your book" do not equal book sales. If I had sold a book for every like and comment..."

Yep, just remember that the sales may come later, and the likes and encouragement can keep you going until then. Whether or not you give up, that's on you. :)

message 20: by Ross (new)

Ross Ponderson | 61 comments C.S. wrote: "It was a rude awakening for me to learn that likes, comments, enthusiasm, encouragement and "I can't wait to read your book" do not equal book sales..."

So true, C. S., so true. I would be absolutely thrilled if 2%-3% (the average response rate for direct mail advertising) of the folks who tagged my book "To Be Read" here on GR would actually buy the book, read it, and post a review.

message 21: by Jody (new)

Jody Rawley (southerncrux) | 8 comments It is the culture. I have many, many friends, most have college or advanced degrees. They read nothing except e-mails and social media postings. They won't even read articles that I forward over on the net, "too long." We do not write for everyone. Join a book club and discover how many members read the books. Just accept the cultural phenomenon along with the happy fact that among english speakers the truly few of us who read still number in the many millions.

message 22: by C.S. (new)

C.S. Bower | 37 comments Christina wrote: "C.S. wrote: "It was a rude awakening for me to learn that likes, comments, enthusiasm, encouragement and "I can't wait to read your book" do not equal book sales. If I had sold a book for every lik..."

Christina: you are absolutely correct. The support of friends and family has been very valuable in its own way, certainly, but it did give me a false hope about my book sales. Now that I've been struck by reality, it's up to me to keep going... with their encouragement to buoy me.

message 23: by C.S. (new)

C.S. Bower | 37 comments Joe wrote: "C.S. wrote: "It was a rude awakening for me to learn that likes, comments, enthusiasm, encouragement and "I can't wait to read your book" do not equal book sales. If I had sold a book for every lik..."

Joe: "Whether or not you give up, that's on you." YES. I will keep going because I love writing, not because I'm selling loads of books. Thanks!

message 24: by C.S. (new)

C.S. Bower | 37 comments Jody wrote: "It is the culture. I have many, many friends, most have college or advanced degrees. They read nothing except e-mails and social media postings. They won't even read articles that I forward over on..."

Jody: The more I talk about reading and writing with people, the more I'm shocked to hear how few in my circle of friends actually read books anymore. When someone says, "oh, I don't really read," I'm legitimately confused. I couldn't imagine a life without books. Anyway, obviously I need to find new friends! lol

message 25: by Jens (new)

Jens Lyon | 47 comments I belong to a book club and have several friends who are writers, so we all read more than most folks do. I also have friends who are teachers, which puts them in the target market for my book. I'm doing pretty well at selling to family and friends. I'd like to do better at selling my book to total strangers.