Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A graphic novel

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Another repeat from 2015: a graphic novel.

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments This is my least favorite prompt. I am not a graphic novel fan. I managed to get through last year by reading The Exile (I mean, it IS Outlander!) but another one? Yikes!

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments Going to pick up Adventure Time Vol. 3. I read volume 2 for 2015 might as well continue on!

message 4: by Nadine in NY (last edited Dec 07, 2015 03:19PM) (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 5900 comments Mod
I love graphic novels! I've got Vol 1 of Bitch Planet on my nightstand now, I think I'll save it til January and count it. (I count one collected volume as one graphic novel for these purposes.) I'm sure I'll read plenty more through the year.

Other graphic novels I've enjoyed (keeping in mind that I like sci fi and thrillers, ymmv):
Saga
Sandman
Moonshadow ( my all time #1 favorite comic)
Ex Machina
Planetary
Asterios Polyp
Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile

For something not so sci fi, there's Lumberjanes, and Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic, and Raina Telgemeier's books, and The Complete Persepolis (which I have not read yet) and Blankets (also on my TBR list).

My kids enjoy:
Amulet series
Sisters
Smile
Drama
Zita the Spacegirl
Rapunzel's Revenge
Bone

message 5: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I read Bone for this year's graphic novel (a compilation of the first 3) and actually really enjoyed it. This coming from a complete graphic novel virgin lol

message 6: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments I read the Maus trilogy this year for graphic novel. Harrowing.

message 7: by Nadine in NY (new)

Yes Maus is not light. I've never finished it, I couldn't go back to it.

message 8: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) There are many good ones. Also remember that many "classics" are told in graphic form. Not all are graphic in the violent sense.

One that was nominated for a Goodreads Choice Awards is one I really want to read:

The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage The (Mostly) True Story of the First Computer by Sydney Padua The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage: The (Mostly) True Story of the First Computer by Sydney Padua

Here is the link to the 2015 Goodreads nominees: https://www.goodreads.com/choiceaward...

message 9: by Nadine in NY (last edited Dec 07, 2015 03:13PM) (new)

^^ oh that list has reminded me that Rat Queens #1 and Sex Criminals, Vol. 1: One Weird Trick and The Sculptor are all on my tbr lists ... and my 9 year old is enjoying Roller Girl immensely right now.

so many great books ... so little time :-)

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments So I did find two graphic novels that I might enjoy. Through the Woods by Emily Carroll and a version of Pride and Prejudice.

message 12: by Kaci (new)

Kaci | 67 comments This past year I read Pride Prejudice and Zombies. I figured I'd put that here incase others were looking for a suggestion. It turns out I don't like graphic novels so I can't say I recommend it but I feel like as far a novels in this category go, it was pretty good. It was satirical in nature and interesting enough because I enjoyed the original.

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I am planning on reading Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan

message 14: by Ronni (new)

Ronni (rgnimps) | 17 comments I read my first graphic novel in 2015, partly inspired by seeing this challenge! I have a question, though - if it's nonfiction, does it still count as a graphic "novel"?

message 15: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Yes, a novel can be nf so no reason a graphic novel can't be :)

message 16: by Nadine in NY (new)

Yes non-fiction counts! So something awesomesauce like The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage: The (Mostly) True Story of the First Computer would count!! (also recommended up above :-) )

I'm changing my plan and I think I will read Roller Girl for this category. My 9 yo just finished it and says I should read it too - I think I can extend the library loan just long enough to allow me to read it on Jan 1. It will be my first 2016 Challenge book!!

message 17: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) If you want to read non-fiction for this prompt, may I recommend Congressman John Robert Lewis's trilogy, March? Books 1 and 2 have been released.

March Book One (March, #1) by John Robert Lewis
March Book Two (March, #2) by John Robert Lewis

message 18: by Ronni (new)

Ronni (rgnimps) | 17 comments Thanks all! Especially for the recommendations. I was thinking of reading The Complete Persepolis but I really like the looks of March and Lovelace and Babbage.

message 19: by Alysha (new)

Alysha (alyshanhk22) I saw the Persepolis series at waterstones and decided to give it a go. Sandman by Neil Gaiman is a good graphic novel to read too!

message 20: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 418 comments I already have my book for this section: Meanwhile. I read Bookhunter by the same autjor and liked it.

Persepolis was very good. I couldn't put it down before the end.

message 21: by Gaijinmama (new)

Gaijinmama | 4 comments This was an easy choice for me.
The Walking Dead, Vol. 24: Life and Death
I've been waiting for months but wanted to see the first half of Season 6 of the TV show first.

message 23: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindalt) | 99 comments I may use Flora and Ulysses for this prompt and read it to my daughter.

message 24: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I just got dayblack in the mail! So excited to read it!

message 25: by CarleyB (new)

CarleyB | 35 comments I'm not accustomed to graphic novels so I had to do some research on this one.

The Sandman, Vol. 1 Preludes and Nocturnes (The Sandman, #1) by Neil Gaiman The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes
V for Vendetta by Alan Moore V for Vendetta
Watchmen by Alan Moore Watchmen
Persepolis The Story of a Childhood (Persepolis, #1-2) by Marjane Satrapi Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood

message 26: by Janelle (last edited Jan 08, 2016 03:09PM) (new)

Janelle (janelle99) | 17 comments Here are some personal favorites of mine. These first ones are definitely more adult in nature, but are probably my highest recommended graphic novels on this list:
Saga #1 by Brian K. Vaughan Saga, Volume 1
Y The Last Man, Vol. 1 Unmanned (Y The Last Man #1) by Brian K. Vaughan Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned
Beautiful Darkness by Fabien Vehlmann Beautiful Darkness

Then some fun, lighter reads that are also kid friendly:
Rapunzel's Revenge (Rapunzel's Revenge, #1) by Shannon Hale Rapunzel's Revenge
Calamity Jack (Rapunzel's Revenge, #2) by Shannon Hale Calamity Jack

I also love these, which started out online:
Namesake, Volume 1 by Isabelle Melançon Namesake, Volume 1
Valor Anthology by Megan Lavey-Heaton Valor Anthology

And if you're at all interested in superheroes, you can't really go wrong with anything by Gail Simone:
Wonder Woman, Vol. 3 The Circle by Gail Simone Wonder Woman, Vol. 3: The Circle
Batgirl, Vol. 1 The Darkest Reflection by Gail Simone
Batgirl, Vol. 1: The Darkest Reflection
And these also make good superhero "starter" books:
Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1 No Normal by G. Willow Wilson Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal
Batman Hush by Jeph Loeb Batman: Hush
Batman Year One by Frank Miller Batman: Year One

message 27: by Nadine in NY (new)

I just love Saga!! Also love Ex Machina. (Y Last Man didn't thrill me quite as much.)

message 28: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I read the first volume of Saga last month. Very good!

message 29: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristy67) | 53 comments I read Vol 1 of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen for 2015 and will read Vol 2 this year.

message 30: by Gaijinmama (new)

Gaijinmama | 4 comments I completely agree.
Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood
Batman: Year One
and Watchmen are all grown-up and just really good stories.
For those with very strong stomachs and who don't have trouble sleeping at night
The Walking Dead, Compendium 1 (very different from the TV show. I'm a big fan of both)
and
From Hell (about Jack the Ripper..very, very gross in parts but fascinating)

message 31: by Nadine in NY (last edited Jan 09, 2016 05:16AM) (new)

I briefly wondered if I could complete the entire challenge in graphic novels! I'm not going to, but it was fun for me to think about it.
Fairy tale - easy, Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile (which I have not read so it would count for me)
YA bestseller - Smile
haven't read since high school ... well ... there was a comic I used to read back then but now I can't remember the name
set in my home state (NJ) - someone said Gotham is in NJ, so my options are limitless here
romance in the future - Saga, Volume 4
translated into English - Asterix or almost any manga
set in Europe - Asterix or Tintin in the Land of the Soviets or The Complete Maus
less than 150 pages / can finish in a day / graphic novel - ANY graphic novel that I haven't read yet
NYT best seller - there is a NYT list for graphic novels! Drama is one on the list
recommended by someone you just met ... in a comics store!
recommended by a family member - Roller Girl (I read it already this year for the Challenge, and it was fantastic!!!)
science fiction - Ex Machina, Vol. 8: Dirty Tricks
protagonist w/ my occupation - I'm an engineer I would stretch this one a bit and say that The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage: The (Mostly) True Story of the First Computer counts
murder mystery - isn't that sort of what Watchmen is? it starts with a murder anyway. Except I read it already so I'd have to find something else. Turns out there is a graphic novel called Murder Mysteries (based on a story by Neil Gaiman)
set during summer - This One Summer
book plus prequel - just about any superhero comic has a prequel! for example Batman: The Killing Joke is the Joker's backstory (and a GREAT book, but I read it already, so I'd have to find something else) ... or maybe there is a Buffy/Angel prequel in graphic novel form out there
Dystopian - please, it's like fish in a barrel. Bitch Planet, Vol 1 would work for me since I haven't read it yet.
road trip - Sisters (which is in fact the book I'm going to read for this category)
Autobiography - Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir by Stan Lee
culture I'm not familiar with - The Complete Persepolis

I'll stop there, that's long enough! Really the only categories I think I couldn't fill are: National Book Award, >600 pages, >100 years older than me, and written by a comedian.

message 32: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Bill Hader co-wrote a Spider-Man comic called The Short Halloween :) he's a comedian. Also if you lower case the n and b and just make it A national book award as opposed to a National Book award lol that opens it up :)

message 33: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments But according to Wikipedia the first known graphic novel was written in 1964... So you'd probably be out of luck for 100 yrs before you were born prompt. Unless you're a time traveler... ARE you a time traveller?!!!

message 34: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments http://www.listal.com/list/celebritie...

Bill Hader, Patton Oswalt, Seth Meyers, the Wayans Brothers and a few others who could be considered "comedians" on this list

message 35: by Nadine in NY (new)

Tara wrote: "But according to Wikipedia the first known graphic novel was written in 1964... So you'd probably be out of luck for 100 yrs before you were born prompt. Unless you're a time traveler... ARE you a ..."

LOL no, that's one of the categories I would not be able to fill!

I just remembered, the main character in Ex Machina is a former civil engineer (he is the mayor of NYC during the story) so that could sort of fulfill "protagonist w/ my occupation" too!

message 36: by Tara (new)

Tara Harrison | 11 comments Picked one out at the library called Seconds. So far so good. It's reading like a cheesy novel.

message 37: by Janelle (last edited Jan 09, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Janelle (janelle99) | 17 comments Nadine wrote: "I briefly wondered if I could complete the entire challenge in graphic novels! I'm not going to, but it was fun for me to think about it.
Fairy tale - easy, Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile..."

Oh my gosh, I'm glad you mentioned that because I'm actually going to try it! I posted what I'm planning over on the 'post your 2016 reading list page' but I'm struggling with a couple prompts myself, especially the Oprah one. For the over 100 yrs one, I'm thinking of doing a graphic adaptation of a classic, and for the National book award one, I'm doing a finalist instead of a winner. Nimona and American Born Chinese both work for that one!

Also struggling with the occupation one...I've found a regular book but still looking for a graphic novel...but I have a year to find one!

message 39: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelle99) | 17 comments Tara wrote: "Check this out!

http://www.oprah.com/book/The-Alchemi..."

Oh wow! I didn't know that existed! That's actually great because I've been really reluctant to read The Alchemist for years...this seems like a good way to test the waters and see if I really want to read the actual novel. Thanks for the suggestion!

message 40: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments You're welcome :) I didn't like the alchemist but I thought that looked interesting and I googled Oprah's book club graphic novel and it came up lol

message 41: by Nadine in NY (new)

Janelle wrote: "Oh my gosh, I'm glad you mentioned that because I'm actually going to try it! "

That is awesome! I will be following your progress with interest! :-)

What is the occupation you're looking for?

message 42: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments http://www.diamondbookshelf.com/Home/... the term "graphic novel" was coined in the 60s but in this link it says that the first was written in 1842, depending on how old you are (if you're younger than 73) you can totally find one more than 100 yrs before you were born.

message 43: by Janelle (last edited Jan 09, 2016 11:25PM) (new)

Janelle (janelle99) | 17 comments Nadine wrote: "That is awesome! I will be following your progress with interest! :-)

What is the occupation you're looking for?"

I'm currently starting out in book publishing, but also worked a few years in retail, so either of those would work!

message 44: by Megan (new)

Megan (megabou) | 64 comments Just starting to get into graphic novels. I can't decide between Bleach or The Walking Dead series. I watch both of the shows, so I'm interested in both of the graphic novels.

message 45: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments So I just finished Dayblack. It is fascinating and beautifully drawn. But it ends quite abruptly. I get there will be more instalments but I wasn't keen on how it ended. Love the story though and will definitely continue it!

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

charlottebibliophile | 3 comments I think I'm going to read Blue Is the Warmest Color by Julie Marsh as I've heard so many positive reviews.

message 48: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Murray | 9 comments I'm in the middle of reading the entire Fruits Basket for this challenge as well as watching the anime. It is so good! I highly recommend them.

Fruits Basket Ultimate Edition Volume 1 by Natsuki Takaya

message 49: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 16 comments I read the first Walking Dead and LOVED it!

message 50: by Gaijinmama (new)

Gaijinmama | 4 comments Amanda wrote: "I read the first Walking Dead and LOVED it!"
It's really different from the TV show. I'm a huge fan of both.

« previous 1