Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A science-fiction novel

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Are you a science-fiction buff? What's your favorite novel in this category?

message 2: by Neptunalia (new)

Neptunalia (wxguesser1800) I'm going to read something by H.G. Wells for this prompt -- probably "The Time Machine" since I'm going to read "The Island of Dr Moreau" for the book set on an island prompt.

message 3: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Adria wrote: "I'm going to read "The Island of Dr Moreau" for the book set on an island prompt."

That's the one I was thinking of too!

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I am hoping to read Fahrenheit 451 for this one. I was going to read it this year and never got around to it. The Time Machine is also a possibility :)

message 5: by Ashly (new)

Ashly (ashlyh) | 63 comments There is so many I want to read next year. It could be anything. Armada, Lockstep, etc. It just depends on which one I read first.

My favorite is Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

message 6: by Elke (new)

Elke Sisco | 33 comments So much good stuff! I have a love-hate relationship with the ioi.com site because they post lots of reviews of sci-fi that sounds GREAT, and I never have enough time to read even a small percentage.
Make sure to check out the comments on this one too:
http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-100-scienc...

message 7: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindalt) | 99 comments I am going to read Feed from the Newsflesh Trilogy.

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments I'm going to read Unwind. Its been on my to-be-read for along time

message 10: by CarleyB (new)

CarleyB | 35 comments I have two in my library that I need to get to.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Ready Player One
Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet, #1) by Orson Scott Card Ender's Game

message 11: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristy67) | 53 comments I'm going with the final Red Rising book! Can't wait for it to come out.

message 12: by KLB (new)

KLB (klynnb) | 27 comments The Martian by Andy Weir

message 13: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 5880 comments Mod
I read a lot of science fiction, so this will be whichever book I happen to read first. Probably Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch, #1) by Ann Leckie . But I've got Gene Wolfe's new book A Borrowed Man by Gene Wolfe waiting by my bedside so that might edge in first.

message 14: by Mike (new)

Mike | 443 comments Probably going with Neuromancer (Sprawl, #1) by William Gibson . I've been meaning to get to it for years so this is a good opportunity.

message 15: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 416 comments I love science fiction so it shouldn't be a problem here, but here's a few idea:

Dune a classic for a good reason
Any Isaac Asimov
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Three-Body Problem one of the best recent book I've read

message 16: by Taylor (new)

Taylor  Prescott | 6 comments Should we distinguish "dystopian" from "sci-fi"? Or could we read 2 dystopian books?

message 17: by Taylor (new)

Taylor  Prescott | 6 comments Should we distinguish "dystopian" from "sci-fi"? Or could we read 2 dystopian books?

message 18: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Well sci fi isn't necessarily dystopian and vice versa, but I don't think that just because you read a dystopia for that prompt that it precludes reading a sci fi dystopia for this one :)

message 19: by Regan (new)

Regan (mollytornado) I'm reading The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells at the moment.

I recommend Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick, and The Best of Philip K. Dick was a good read, too.

message 20: by Nadine in NY (new)

Taylor wrote: "Should we distinguish "dystopian" from "sci-fi"? Or could we read 2 dystopian books?"

I think two dystopians is just fine, so long as your dystopian is science fiction; I'm going to be reading multiples of certain genres/types. Already I've read two graphic novels for this Challenge and neither one was for the "graphic novel" prompt, I've read two murder mysteries (okay, one was for the "murder mystery" prompt) plus I've got two more picked out for "set on an island" and "translated into English." And who knows how many science fiction books I'll end up reading - more than one, that's for sure!

message 21: by Janet (new)

Janet Cripe (jcripe) | 36 comments Just read The Martian for my sci-fi book. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would. One book down, forty to go.

message 22: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Ashly wrote: "There is so many I want to read next year. It could be anything. Armada, Lockstep, etc. It just depends on which one I read first.

My favorite is [bookcover:Ready ..."

Ready Player One is terrific!

message 23: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Taylor wrote: "Should we distinguish "dystopian" from "sci-fi"? Or could we read 2 dystopian books?"

Generally speaking most dystopian is sci-fi (but not all), and sci-fi is the umbrella term that holds many genres under it. So, you could read two dystopian books. But to file under sci-fi make sure it is.

I just read Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm and filed it under science fiction, but it could've gone under dystopian. Though I am still reading Red Queen and will probably file it under dystopian. I really like dystopians so I shouldn't have a problem.

Also, quite a lot of YA bestsellers are sci-fi and dystopian these days... I know many of you will put the same book in different prompts. I just like to do a separate book for each.

Good luck!

message 24: by Alek (new)

Alek TS | 27 comments Adria wrote: "I'm going to read something by H.G. Wells for this prompt -- probably "The Time Machine" since I'm going to read "The Island of Dr Moreau" for the book set on an island prompt."
I'll read "The Time Machine" and "The Island of Dr Moreau" for dystopian, because they are in one book in my language edition.
For sci-fi I already read A Living Soul by P.C. Jersild ,
but I'm disappointed. I expected something like in the movies ''Ex Machina'' and "Humans", but I didn't found any ethical questions about what is and what isn't the soul, just one arrogant and lewd protagonist, very frustrating.

message 25: by Leigha (new)

Leigha (leighas_life) It was not hard to pick a book for this category.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

message 26: by Christi (new)

Christi | 45 comments I read The Affinities by Robert Charles Wilson.
This book could have been so much better than it was. Every time there was an opportunity for a plot twist, the book stayed its same boring course. There was no intrigue, no suspense, no action at all. Even the big act III scene at the end was plodding and dull. Almost all the story is told in hindsight through the lackluster and sullen Adam.

This book is like a watered down, budget conscious tv series loosely based on an action movie. Disappointing.

message 27: by Nadine in NY (new)

Oh that is disappointing, because I've got Affinities on my TBR list, I've enjoyed the three books I read by Wilson. I'll probably give this one a try someday, everyone likes different things and maybe I'll like it!

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 622 comments I'm reading The Five Times I Met Myself. Sci-fi really isn't a genre I normally reach for. I've enjoyed the few that I've read, but most of those have been the classics and books that I would categorize more as dystopians than anything else (ie. The Hunger Games).

message 29: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) This one is a great science fiction novel - it won the Hugo!

The Snow Queen (The Snow Queen Cycle, #1) by Joan D. Vinge The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge

message 30: by Malgorzata (new)

Malgorzata | 24 comments I'm reading Beacon 23: The Complete Novel by Hugh Howey. I loved the Wool series and this one starts off really well, too - with a bang, no less. Something tells me I'm going to enjoy it!

message 31: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I finished Logan's Run by William F. Nolan & George Clayton Johnson earlier tonight. It's science fiction, but I filed it under a book under 150 pages.

message 32: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments Could I read Fairest for this or is not really considered sci-fi?

message 33: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 0 comments Marisa wrote: "Could I read Fairest for this or is not really considered sci-fi?"

It would count towards sci-fi. Goodreads lists it under the sci-fi genre.

message 34: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) It's up to you Marisa. It's not like we have to pass this by my 8th grade teacher (who told me that science fiction was not appropriate to be read by a "young lady").

message 35: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "It's up to you Marisa. It's not like we have to pass this by my 8th grade teacher (who told me that science fiction was not appropriate to be read by a "young lady")."

haha thank you very much!

message 36: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments Jillian wrote: "Marisa wrote: "Could I read Fairest for this or is not really considered sci-fi?"

It would count towards sci-fi. Goodreads lists it under the sci-fi genre."

Thank you!!

message 37: by Nadine in NY (new)

Fairest definitely counts as sci fi - it's about a community of people living on the moon after all!!

message 38: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments Woohoo thanks everyone!!!

message 39: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Just finished my Kindle Unlimited selection First Activation (Activation, #1) by Darren Wearmouth First Activation by Darren Wearmouth and Marcus Wearmouth.

I really enjoyed it. It starts like a standard zombie apocalypse. But there's a twist! No zombies. Definitely worth a peek!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

It would definitely count as sci-fi.

message 40: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Groves | 57 comments I read Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson, a very well known sic-fi writer. It takes place during a multi-generational trip aboard a starship to a distant solar system, although the focus is on just one generation, the one that actually reaches their destination. This book raises many questions about the feasibility of these long voyages (over 100 years, in this case), and the potential impact on humans (physical and mental health), the crops and animals they would need to sustain themselves, the infrastructure of the ship, and attempts to colonize other planetary bodies. I highly recommend it.

message 41: by Riley (new)

Riley (rileyfickett) I'm going to go with These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman, a YA Sci-Fi Romance, which should be interesting. I've heard very positive things so I've added this to my November TBR.

These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) by Amie Kaufman

message 42: by poshpenny (new)

poshpenny | 1763 comments I'm partway through Dark Matter, if anyone is looking for sci-fi with fun stuff like quantum mechanics. I can't really say much else about it yet because I think I have just followed Schrödinger's rabbit down the hole to crazy town.

message 43: by Nadine in NY (new)

poshpenny wrote: "I'm partway through Dark Matter, if anyone is looking for sci-fi with fun stuff like quantum mechanics. I can't really say much else about it yet because I think I have just followed Schrödinger's ..."

Thank you for mentioning this! Turns out lots of my friends have given this one rave reviews, and yet somehow I'd never heard of it! It's been added to my far-too-long TBR list.

message 44: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (kiik) | 158 comments poshpenny wrote: "...I think I have just followed Schrödinger's rabbit down the hole to crazy town."
Well, that sounds like a winner to me. Added.

message 45: by poshpenny (new)

poshpenny | 1763 comments I just finished listening to Dark Matter. I enjoyed it and won't say anything else. I do, however, recommend scrolling down it's page and skimming all the jifs in the reviews hahaha

message 46: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 178 comments I read The Martian however, unlike other people in this forum and on Goodreads, I did not enjoy it.

message 47: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Lanton (ruthla8) | 148 comments Taylor wrote: "I read The Martian however, unlike other people in this forum and on Goodreads, I did not enjoy it."
It was OK. I did enjoy it, but I didn't LOVE IT, and it's not one of my favorites.

message 48: by Sara (new)

Sara (velocipedal) | 32 comments I've already read a lot of sci-fi for other categories, as it's my favorite genre. I plan on reading Contact by Carl Sagan for this one.

message 49: by Amber (new)

Amber | 38 comments I read Landline by Rainbow Rowell, not super sci-fi but it has a little element to it and I have read others that I counted to other categories.

message 50: by Kim (new)

Kim Erickson (madtroll) | 1 comments a classic Sci-Fi novel, The Martian Chronicles, Ray Bradbury