Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A book from Oprah's Book Club

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Ophrah's Book Club changed publishing. I was working at a book store when O started her book club. Wow! Did she get people reading.

You can find a static check list of all of Oprah's picks here.

Or go to Oprah's webpage for lots of information.

My personal fave: White Oleander

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I might read The Invention of Wings. I have Anna Karenina - Oprah's book club version but I am not counting on having the time to read through it. We'll see how the year goes. Maybe if I limit my big book choices :)

message 3: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Sara wrote: "I might read The Invention of Wings."

Sara,
We have very similar reading styles. Let me tell you that The Invention of Wings is amazing. I often think about those characters. When I was reading it, I would wake up and think, "I wonder what will happen to Hettie today." Very powerful.

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Juanita wrote: "Sara wrote: "I might read The Invention of Wings."

Sara,
We have very similar reading styles. Let me tell you that The Invention of Wings is amazing. I often think about those char..."

I love characters that stay with you! Definitely my favorite type of book :) I have read several of Sue Monk Kidd's books so I'm sure I will enjoy it! Thanks for the recommendation Juanita!

Emma's Things to Read | 27 comments I'm three quarters of the water through Anna Karenina for the 2015 classic romance - it's a slog!

message 6: by Neptunalia (new)

Neptunalia (wxguesser1800) I think I'll read Steinbeck's "East of Eden" for this one. I've had it on my bookshelf for close to 10 years now and still haven't read it.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (classicbibliophile) Juanita wrote: "Ophrah's Book Club changed publishing. I was working at a book store when O started her book club. Wow! Did she get people reading.

..."

Thank you so much for putting the check list up been very helpful.

message 8: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 409 comments Thanks for the list. I have read Anna Karenina for the 2015 challenge and I liked it very much. I think that I will choose The Road since I want to read it for quite some time.

message 9: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindalt) | 99 comments I'll be deciding between White Oleander, The Poisonwood Bible and Wild.

message 10: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (blhofer) | 1 comments Ill be reading vinegar hill and drowning ruth. Ive had both of the books for years but haven't read them yet! So this is going to push me to read them. :)

message 11: by Rushati (new)

Rushati Ray (musingsatdawn) Thanks for the list. I might read The Good Earth or Wild.

message 12: by Monica (new)

Monica (booksarelove) | 110 comments I'm planning to read either We Were the Mulvaneys or Black and Blue.

message 14: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments Juanita wrote: "Ophrah's Book Club changed publishing. I was working at a book store when O started her book club. Wow! Did she get people reading.

..."

Thanks for the recomendation! I am planning on reading White Oleander for this!! :)

message 15: by Annisa Nurul (new)

Annisa Nurul Aziza (azizanurul) | 8 comments For this one, I think I might read The Reader or Wild. If I read The Reader, I can just borrow the book from my friend. And for Wild, I already have the ebook.

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Holbrook (jessicalh08) | 86 comments Where the Heart is is an amazing book! I highly recommend it. I would read it myself for this prompt but I'm trying to find new titles. I was thinking about reading one of the Toni Morrison books. I've heard she's good.

message 17: by Melody (new)

Melody | 202 comments Jessica wrote: "Where the Heart is is an amazing book! I highly recommend it. I would read it myself for this prompt but I'm trying to find new titles. I was thinking about reading one of the Toni Morrison books. ..."

Definitely recommend The Bluest Eye, which I believe is an Oprah Book Club book.

message 18: by Christophe (last edited Jan 03, 2016 11:42PM) (new)

Christophe Bonnet | 212 comments Was quite intimidated by that prompt, but the list of books from OBC is so wide, with so many great books, that it was really easy. I just finished Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton - I intended to read it for years (since my travel to South Africa at least, and that was more than 15 years ago); it had been sitting on my shelves for too long. Great book too!

Starting now on the 600p+ prompt, with a novel that is 1474 pages long. That one should take me a little longer than the first 4!

message 19: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnali) I've had a copy of Fall on Your Knees on my shel for years. Maybe this will be the year I can make it past the first chapter.

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyinafrica) I had chosen The Twelve Tribes of Hattie as one of my choices for last year's 'author with your initials' category (though I ended up using a different book); I can now slot it into this category.

message 21: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments Melody wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Where the Heart is is an amazing book! I highly recommend it. I would read it myself for this prompt but I'm trying to find new titles. I was thinking about reading one of the Toni ..."

Hello! there are a few books called Where the heart is out there! Who was the author for this book that you loved?

Thank you!

message 22: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Holbrook (jessicalh08) | 86 comments Marisa wrote: "Melody wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Where the Heart is is an amazing book! I highly recommend it. I would read it myself for this prompt but I'm trying to find new titles. I was thinking about reading o..."

Billie Letts. =)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Wild by Cheryl Strayed.

message 24: by CarleyB (new)

CarleyB | 35 comments Luckily, there are some pretty interesting books on her list. I'm choosing between:

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides Middlesex
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver The Poisonwood Bible
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens Great Expectations

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura Parker I just finished reading The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments Emma wrote: "I'm three quarters of the water through Anna Karenina for the 2015 classic romance - it's a slog!"

I would love to read that. I'm just having a hard time getting motivated to do it since it's such a massive book! The Once and Future King (just under 700 pages) took me a week with my work schedule, and I'd imagine Anna Karenina is even longer.

message 27: by Kali (new)

Kali | 18 comments Jewel by Brett Lott

message 28: by Miguel (new)

Miguel Solano (miguel11697) | 3 comments I am planning to read El amor en los tiempos del cólera (Love in the time of cholera) because I am from Latin America and everything I read from Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez is really awesome. I would recommend it as A book translated to english.

message 29: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne  (rkmorita) | 41 comments Hmmmm for this challenge I've narrowed it down to "a lesson before dying"or "corrections" both have been on my shelf for 5 years or more, really should read one of them.

message 30: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Roxanne wrote: "Hmmmm for this challenge I've narrowed it down to "a lesson before dying"or "corrections" both have been on my shelf for 5 years or more, really should read one of them."

I still regret the hours/days I spent reading The Corrections. But that's just me. Many others find Jonathan Franzen a literary genius.

message 31: by Alexis (new)

Alexis O (saboknits) | 76 comments Adria wrote: "I think I'll read Steinbeck's "East of Eden" for this one. I've had it on my bookshelf for close to 10 years now and still haven't read it."

I finally did East of Eden last year. It was my book that I started but never finished. Let me say, it is slow to start, but a fantastic book. I was too overwhelmed by the idea of trying to "read" it again though, so I listened to the audiobook.

message 32: by Melody (last edited Jan 15, 2016 05:44PM) (new)

Melody | 202 comments Juanita wrote: "Roxanne wrote: "Hmmmm for this challenge I've narrowed it down to "a lesson before dying"or "corrections" both have been on my shelf for 5 years or more, really should read one of them."

I still r..."

I agree with you. Franzen hardcore sucks, and I tend to like pretentious books.

message 33: by Catharina (new)

Catharina (_nekoi) | 93 comments I think I'm going with The Reader for this prompt, always wanted to read it!

message 34: by Michele (new)

Michele Sorensen (majkmom4) I had bought The Invention of Wings with an audible credit last year but hadn't gotten around to listening to it yet. Now I'm about 3/4 of the way through. Great book! Really enjoying it!

message 35: by KLB (new)

KLB (klynnb) | 27 comments Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng

message 36: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Here's an article from BookBub with some favorites from O's Book Club.

I've read 7 of the books they reference. Wow.

https://media.bookbub.com/blog/2016/0...

charlottebibliophile | 3 comments I think I'm going with Wild: A Journey from Lost to Found by Cheryl Strayed - technically it's from her 2.0 book club, but none of the choices really appealed to me.

message 38: by Malgorzata (new)

Malgorzata | 24 comments I found a few familiar titles on the Oprah Book Club book list, but I've used them for other categories, so I had to look up something new and came up with What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day. I'm only just starting, so I can't say if it's any good, but the description sounds interesting enough.

message 39: by Malgorzata (new)

Malgorzata | 24 comments OK, I'm done with my Oprah Book Club book and I must say I'm unimpressed. What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day started well, but about 50 pages in, I could already bet on the ending - and I was right. The character development enforces stereotypes and the outcome is very predictable. It is a light read, which is a redeeming feature, but it's not enough for me to have enjoyed it.

message 40: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Svoboda | 7 comments CarleyB wrote: "Luckily, there are some pretty interesting books on her list. I'm choosing between:

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides Middlesex
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver [book:The Poisonwood Bibl..."

They're all really good, but Poisonwood Bible is one of my favorite books of all time!

message 41: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments I went with Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail.

I liked the parts about the trail. Other than that, I wasn't in to it. I want to watch the movie now. Its on HBO so I hope to watch it soon so I can compare while its fresh in my mind.

message 42: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Weber | 263 comments I plan to read The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner.

message 43: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 16 comments I read Gap Creek. Those of you reading The Invention of Wings will love it!

message 44: by Leigha (last edited Mar 14, 2016 11:46AM) (new)

Leigha (leighas_life) I am going to read The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

Edit:

I have decided to read Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts instead.

message 45: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5371 comments Mod
I'm reading "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter." I started it so I'm going to finish it dammit, but save yourselves! Skip this one!!

message 46: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) LOL! I've been thinking of reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski for this one.

message 47: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments Just starting my book for this prompt. I chose The Deep End of the Ocean, which has been sitting in my pile of books for quite a while. It was good to see that it was on the list, since there wasn't much else here that I wanted to read.

message 48: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Didn't think I'd ever make any more progress.

I finished listening to Great Expectations by Charles Dickens Great Expectations by Charles Dickens last night.

Finally got around to doing my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 49: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 112 comments I've decided on The Reader by Bernhard Schlink The Reader by Bernhard Schlink. Sounds interesting, however I will let you know what I think after I read it.

message 50: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Harper | 10 comments I know this much is true was such a good book. I loved that book. And it's not even his best!

« previous 1