Romance Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > December Non-Romance Listening

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments and on the non-romance side of the house - what are people listening to this month?

message 2: by Jewlzy (new)

Jewlzy | 110 comments I've got Norwegian by Night by Derek B. Miller , Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff , and Holy Sh*t A Brief History of Swearing by Melissa Mohr coming up this month

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 2018 comments Mod
I started Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments listening to The Return of the King

message 5: by Jonetta (last edited Dec 02, 2015 05:01PM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4544 comments Mod
Continuing to listen to The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith, Cormoran Strike #2. I'm loving it.
The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2) by Robert Galbraith

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments isn't silkworm number 2? (i still have #3 on reserve at the library)

message 7: by Paris (kerbytejas) (last edited Dec 02, 2015 05:01PM) (new)

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 804 comments Rogue Lawyer by John Grisham Rogue Lawyer funny how my first thoughts went to The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1) by Michael Connelly The Lincoln Lawyer when the story started so far its similar in concept

message 8: by Jonetta (new)

Dee wrote: "isn't silkworm number 2? (i still have #3 on reserve at the library)"

Duh! Thanks for catching the typo. I've got #3 waiting. I just love the writing.

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments I'm hoping audio of #3 comes in before the next ice age hits - lol! (It feels like forever since I reserved it but prob only a month)

message 10: by Jonetta (new)

It's a long audio.

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments I bet - I think tge book is 400ish pgs

message 12: by Jonetta (new)

The audio is 17+ hours!

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments Return of the king is 18.5; the two towers was just shy of 20 I think

message 14: by Samantha (new)

Then plenty of listening time for you ladies :)

message 15: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith, Cormoran Strike #2, and hated for it to end. Here's my review.

I'm now listening to Fallen by Karin Slaughter, Will Trent #4 (already hooked).
The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2) by Robert Galbraith Fallen (Will Trent, #5) by Karin Slaughter

message 16: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen read by Julia Whelan (Audible's Christmas gift from 2014), thought the season warranted it. I've never watched FROZEN, I didn't realize the Disney film was based on this classic.

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments finished up The Leper of Saint Giles - #5 in the Brother Caudfel series - it was a solid mystery, i figured out the who done it before the reveal, but that didn't ruin my enjoyment

also found out that i'm next in line at the library for Career of Evil

but for now, back to The Return of the King - i've discovered, i'm more a fan of Frodo/Sam part of the story than the other members of the fellowship - and the book is divided into two very clear stories - i'll be back to frodo/sam soon

message 18: by D.G. (last edited Dec 09, 2015 06:44AM) (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I was sick for almost a week and since then, I've been in a re-reading mood. I just finished my re-read of The Hidden Masters of Marandur (The Pillars of Reality #2) by Jack Campbell (how I love that series) and I'm now re-listening to Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) by Ilona Andrews . Enjoying it as usual. Gordon & Ilona are so witty!

message 19: by Jonetta (last edited Dec 12, 2015 06:47AM) (new)

I finished both Fallen and Snatched by Karin Slaughter, Will Trent #5 & #5.5, and loved both. I'm hopelessly addicted to Slaughter's stories and the narrations. She's done a really good job in selecting them (they vary). Here are my reviews:

Fallen
Snatched

I'm now listening to the final book in The Hunger Games Trilogy, Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.
Fallen (Will Trent, #5) by Karin Slaughter Snatched (Will Trent #5.5) by Karin Slaughter Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins

message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments Alternating between Career of Evil and Brave New World

message 21: by Sue (last edited Dec 20, 2015 07:32AM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments The narration was wonderful, just a perfect christmas story. No romance, just love of a dog and family. Enjoy it... I certainly did. A Dog Named Christmas (A Dog Named Christmas #1) by Greg Kincaid Narrated by Mark Bramhall... perfect voice for George. Couldn't have picked a better voice to story match.

Now I didn't realize that this book had a prequel and my library has it same narrator but now it's 1962 and George and his Dog Tucker face a very hard life for a 12 year old . Probably a few more tears in my future. Christmas with Tucker by Greg Kincaid

Update: If you only read one or two Christmas themed books, these two are the best of the 20 or so I've read this holiday season.

message 22: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Just finished The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay and all I have to say is WOW! Amazing audio and great story!

message 23: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to the final book in The Hunger Games Trilogy, Mockingjay, and struggled with it but liked the ending. Here's my review.
Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins

message 24: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments finished up Career of Evil - was going to be a solid 4 stars until the very end - once again, she had a great mystery development and then (view spoiler) 3 stars

starting Slaughterhouse-Five - kinda weird so far, but its read by ethan hawke whihc is a nice bonus - he's decent so far

message 25: by D.G. (last edited Dec 22, 2015 03:37AM) (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments LOL, I feel you about the ending, Dee. I actually thought she meandered a lot with this mystery and that there were very few clues about the murder really. I actually figured out who was the murderer but I didn't pay attention to what Strike was doing and went about things a different way.

I listened to that Slaughterhouse Five audio, narrated by Ethan Hawke. I didn't think he was that great but I wasn't a fan of the book.

message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments i can't say i'm a fan of SHF but its fitting a challenge and not overly long, so i'll stick it out - i like Hawke because its not like he has to do a ton of different voices or anything

Re: Cormoran Strike - she's kind of done that with the 3 books so far; this one was just the most noticable to me - although i'll admit i was expecting it to be someone totally out of the blue

message 27: by Samantha (new)

Listening to The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1) by Rick Yancey

message 28: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I'm listening to Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay , narrated by Julia Whelan. Man, that narration is soo good!

message 29: by Maddy (new)

Maddy Barone (maddybarone) | 40 comments Sue wrote: "The narration was wonderful, just a perfect christmas story. No romance, just love of a dog and family. Enjoy it... I certainly did. A Dog Named Christmas (A Dog Named Christmas #1) by Greg Kincaid Narrated by Mark Bramh..."

I listened to that one too, and just came over here to post about it. I think it was one of the best match between story and narrator I've ever encountered. Just excellent.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.