Romance Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > December Romance Listening

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments I don't know about you guys, but I can't believe its DECEMBER already! (of course, the vast amount of Christmas carols that are being played on the radio, just comfirm it...i'm so glad that I'm listening to audiobooks 90% of the time...)

what romances are you guys listening to this December day? any you are excited about?

message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee | 484 comments Where are you? Isn't it still November 30? ;-)

message 3: by Lee (new)

Lee | 484 comments OK- I am still on my slow trip through Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooter series. I have read all the books at least twice and listened to almost all of the audiobooks. However, my library never had Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4) by Suzanne Brockmann so I was delighted to listen to it over the last month and a half (my work drive time has shrunk down quite a bit). I forgot how much I loved Jones and Molly!

Now I am so enjoying Mike and Joan plus all of the Sam/Mary Lou background/intrigue in Into the Night.

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments Lol - close enough - T-30min

message 5: by Lee (new)

Lee | 484 comments Dee wrote: "Lol - close enough - T-30min"

Thanks for being such a good moderator. This continues to be a wonderful place to learn about and discuss audiobooks.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (honeybee73) | 162 comments I am listening to The Match of the Century The Match of the Century (Marrying the Duke, #1) by Cathy Maxwell . This is my first Kathy Maxwell book. So far I'm enjoying it and a big reason is because it's read by Mary Jane Wells. I honestly think she's my new favorite female narrator (-: (-:

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (honeybee73) | 162 comments Just finished The Paper Swan The Paper Swan by Leylah Attar . It wasn't for me. I liked the narration by Shirl Rae and Zachary Webber but the story, which started out riveting, soon turned into a whole lot of eye rolling on my part. The new adult genre rarely comes through for me though...I'm sure there's many out there who will love it.

message 8: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments Oops, I originally put this in November. Deleted that and reposted here.

I am listening to An Accidental Goddess by Linnea Sinclair , narrated by Amy Landon. I loved this book when I first read it and I am loving the audiobook, also.

message 9: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Listening to Fatal Flaw (Fatal, #4) by Marie Force

message 10: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (zannerina) | 274 comments Listening to Flash by Jayne Ann Krentz , and oldie, but narrated by the wonderful Kate Fleming/Anna Fields!

message 11: by Tracy T. (new)

Tracy T. (tracy_t) Almost finished with Blood Redemption (Blood Curse, #5) by Tessa Dawn . Such a great series! Love it! And Eric Dove's narration are fantastic! Great series people!

message 12: by Christiana (new)

Christiana | 20 comments Currently listening to Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4) by Lisa Kleypas after finishing Seduce Me at Sunrise (The Hathaways, #2) by Lisa Kleypas . I'm not reading these in order as I'm borrowing them from the library and they don't have all the audiobooks in the series.
I love LK's writing but I must comment that she has a tendency to write romances that start out with the hero disdaining the heroine's outer appearance. In MbM as well as Seduce me at Sunrise, Leo continues his rudeness towards Katherine and considers her prudish and ugly. I haven't read the story in between yet but I'll bet he wasn't nice to her in that book either. I found the same strategy in Cold hearted Rake and Dreaming of You. In fact, LK used spectacles as a tool for uglifying a woman more than once! I feel a little petulant that the heroes are so egotistical, blind and shallow to only realise the heroine's outer and inner beauty after he's had a chance to interact extensively with her.
Rosalyn Landor is wonderful as the narrator as usual.

message 13: by KatieV (new)

KatieV | 98 comments I just started Splendor Splendor by Brenda Joyce by Brenda Joyce. Marian Hussey is always a narrator I enjoy and so far, I'm liking the story as well as her narration.

I've not read a lot of Joyce. I admit I enjoyed The Conqueror The Conqueror by Brenda Joyce , but it was an utter trainwreck of bodice ripper crazy. The kind of book you you're almost ashamed to admit you enjoy.

It's early days, but this hero seems to be much more multi-layered and less "I claim droit du siegneur!" rapey.

message 14: by Trish (new)

Trish R. I started Highland Healer (Highland Talents, #1) by Willa Blair a little while age. It's pretty slow moving right now. I'm still not sure how I feel about Derek Perkins, yet. He's kind of blah. He does a nice scottish accent but he doesn't have an ounce of emotion.

message 15: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 563 comments Just finished Bound to Danger (Deadly Ops, #2) by Katie Reus and I enjoyed it.
I don't know where to go next

message 16: by KatieV (new)

KatieV | 98 comments Ezinwanyi~Boo boo kitty wrote: "Just finished Bound to Danger (Deadly Ops, #2) by Katie Reus and I enjoyed it.
I don't know where to go next"

I hate that feeling :( Not sure what you've read/listened to or your tastes to give recs, but feel free to check out my "audiobook" shelf. I review most things I read and try to remark on the narration as well. If I don't remark, that usually means the narration was passable, or I've sufficiently gushed over the narrator ad nauseum (hello, Robert Petkoff). I'll definitely remark on any I found bad or odd.

message 17: by Taria (new)

Taria Reed (tariar) | 137 comments listening to Highland Echoes (Fated Hearts, #2) by Ceci Giltenan

message 18: by Bookaddict (new)

Bookaddict | 3 comments I should preface this by explaining that I'm pretty much a compulsive reader, and I listen to audiobooks while I'm doing something with my hands like knitting or similar, that interferes with my habit. I just finished listening to Darling Beast by Elizabeth Hoyt. I liked the book and this is the first chance I had to get the audio version. I did enjoy it, but I definitely won't buy the next one in the series-- Dearest Rogue. There's a preview included at the end of Darling Beast. I suppose it could be the difference between the "American" ear and the "British" ear, but Ashford McNab's rendering of the protagonist, Lady Phoebe, has a severe lisp and sounds like a 5 year old. I am not, NOT I say!!!, listening to bedroom scenes involving what sounds like a 5 year old lisping little girl. Outside of that issue, having one of the main characters speak with a pronounced lisp is incredibly distracting and annoying (to me anyway). Besides Darling Beast, I recently tried to listen to a couple of relatively new titles (names withheld to protect the guilty) from Brilliance Audio and had to give up. Some of my oldest and most enjoyable audiobooks were by Brilliance, but everything I've gotten by them recently has been INCREDIBLY bad. Since I only get audio versions of books I've read and really enjoyed, it's not the story/author. The narrators, and I use the word skeptically, are sooooooooooo bad it's easier to enjoy the story if I have my computer read the book aloud to me in computerspeak. Also, they can't even engineer it decently; on the last one I bought if I turned the volume up enough to hear the male narrator's part of the conversation, when the female narrator came on it blasted my eardrums to oblivion. What's happened to Brilliance, does anybody know? Thankfully, Elizabeth Hoyt's book was available from a different company, Blackstone I think it was. I never used to pay any attention to who published the audiobook, as long as it was by one of my favorite authors, but I've had to rethink that.

message 19: by Sue (last edited Dec 06, 2015 06:42AM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Enjoying this book, A Nantucket Christmas by Nancy Thayer at first I found it odd that the thoughts of a dog are included... but as you listen it just works... (p.s. not the only thoughts, lots of adult thoughts too - lol). Also enjoying the narrator.

message 20: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Finished Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane, #2) by Elizabeth Hoyt , definitely a book that got better the longer you listened to it. Narrator was very good.

message 21: by KatieV (new)

KatieV | 98 comments Bookaddict - I had a similar problem with Linda Howard's Midnight Rainbow. Brenda Sweeney was the narrator and she did THE most cringeworthy voice for the h. I pretended it was a vapid Betty Boop sort of childish femme fatale voice because the alternative was a little girl and my mind shall not be going there. It really put a damper on what was otherwise a fun adventure/romance. I do wonder how much involvement/control authors have over the audio.

message 22: by Sue (last edited Dec 06, 2015 06:49AM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments KatieV wrote: "I do wonder how much involvement/control authors have over the audio.
..."

I've often wondered that, how a new author can get homerun hitters (Julie James right from the start got a homerun hitter with Karen White...why?) versus proven authors who get the also ran narrators (Nora Roberts I'd say 90% of what I've listened too has been just okay). Sometimes it's perfect, other times it's just plain awful. I applaud when the author takes control like Laura Kinsale did.

message 23: by Tracy T. (new)

Tracy T. (tracy_t) Bookaddict wrote: "I should preface this by explaining that I'm pretty much a compulsive reader, and I listen to audiobooks while I'm doing something with my hands like knitting or similar, that interferes with my ha..."

I just wanted to let you know that Ashford McNab did NOT give Phoebe a lisp in Dearest Rogue. Here is my reveiw:

his was a very good story. I have to say 100% better than than the last Maiden Lane book, Darling Beast.

The story line was more in sync with the series, albeit there was no Ghost of St. Giles. There were characters from the previous books as well as the Ladies Syndicate for the Benefit of the Home for Unfortunate Infants and Foundling Children. So there is that.

Lady Phoebe was just wonderful. Loved her! She was so funny. Loved her honesty. I really liked Captain Trevillion too. I liked how he was so matter of fact. (the narrator did a good job with his character for sure!)

I really enjoyed the these two characters together a lot. They were just sort of perfect for each other. They had some great chemistry, it was not a forced or fake chemistry, It was very believable. There was a couple of really good sex scenes too!

The story line and plot were good, a little danger and mystery. There was lots of dialogue throughout the entire book. (I love lots of dialogue)

I am looking forward to the next book Asa Makepeace (Temperance and Winter's brother) and Ms. Eve Dinwoody.

The narration was very good. Everyone had their own distinct voice, she especially did a fantastic job on Trevillion's voice which really brought his character to life.

THANK YOU ASHFORD MCNAB FOR NOT GIVING PHOEBE THAT HORRIBLE LISP YOU GAVE HER IN DARLING BEAST!

My favorite of the series is still Scandalous Desires, Book 3 with Silence and Charming Mickey! I would love to see him show back up in a book.
This is still one of my favorite series (despite my disappointment with Darling Beast).

message 24: by Tracy T. (new)

Tracy T. (tracy_t) I finished book 5 in Tessa Dawn's Blood Curse Series Blood Redemption (Blood Curse, #5) by Tessa Dawn narrated by Eric G. Dove. This is a fantastic series!

message 25: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Kissing Under The Mistletoe (The Sullivans, #10) by Bella Andre totally doing the holiday thing this weekend

message 26: by Bookaddict (new)

Bookaddict | 3 comments Sue wrote: "KatieV wrote: "I do wonder how much involvement/control authors have over the audio.
..."

I've often wondered that, how a new author can get homerun hitters (Julie James right from the start got ..."

Yes, the recent audiobooks I have that are so incredibly bad are by Jayne Ann Krentz, who is certainly a well known and prolific author, and I enjoyed READING the books very much. If I were an author and one of my books was recorded so horribly I would "have an apoplexy"! They must not have much to say about the recorded version. Other than Grace Burrowes for certain, as I do know that she personally arranged for the recordings of her work, including choosing the narrator. And they are very well done, although I would like to have more breaks on the CD, more often than full chapters.

message 27: by Bookaddict (new)

Bookaddict | 3 comments Tracy wrote: "Bookaddict wrote: "I should preface this by explaining that I'm pretty much a compulsive reader, and I listen to audiobooks while I'm doing something with my hands like knitting or similar, that in..."

Thank you!! There was a free sample chapter at the end of Darling Beast, and Phoebe definitely still had the lisp in that teaser. Maybe the narrator started thinking about how those bedroom scenes were going to sound! Now I can put the recording back on my "wish list". As an aside, I also wondered if the British pronounce Minotaur differently than we do, but that was no big deal.

message 28: by Linda (new)

Linda (blondieblack) | 91 comments I just finished listening to The Bali Mystery by Linda Weaver Clarke and narrated by Diane Lehman. It was a fun, clean cozy romantic mystery set mostly in Bali, Indonesia. Within the story, there's sweet elderly ladies, guys in black suits and fascinating tips about Bali with visits to temples, its jungles, active volcanos, shopping districts and more! Narrator has a clear pleasant voice which she utilized well to differentiate between the characters. KUDOS to her as she sang quite convincingly as both a male and a female. Fans of South Pacific will love this tale as there are many references to the famous musical included. http://www.audible.com/pd/Mysteries-T...

message 29: by Moriah (new)

Moriah | 497 comments Finished Invitation To Passion narrated by Marian Hussey. I loved the narration and the story was really enjoyable. I wish Loretta Chase's Last Night's Scandal and Not Quite a Lady would be released - I'm starting to stalk Audible to see if I missed them.

message 30: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (zannerina) | 274 comments Just started Friction (Legal Affairs, #8) by Sawyer Bennett . I've heard good things about the book, hoping for great narration.

message 31: by KatieV (new)

KatieV | 98 comments I decided to finally finish Cry No More Cry No More by Linda Howard . I had put it on hiatus due to quite frankly not being in the mood to cry since it usually triggers a migraine and I have enough stress in life without deliberately courting the dreaded migraine.

It was good. I felt the romance was upstaged by the suspense plot, which can be a good or bad thing depending on your POV. I definitely did cry toward the end :(

The narrator, Joyce Bean, was adequate. No serious complaints, but no real praise either.

message 32: by KatieV (last edited Dec 09, 2015 09:52AM) (new)

KatieV | 98 comments Moriah wrote: "Finished Invitation To Passion narrated by Marian Hussey. I loved the narration and the story was really enjoyable. I wish Loretta Chase's Last Night's Scandal and [b..."

I think Marian Hussey (despite the unfortunate last name, lol) is an outstanding narrator. I'm not familiar with the author, but if it's a narrator I trust I'm more willing to give it whirl.

message 33: by Adele (new)

Adele | 2 comments Moriah wrote: "Finished Invitation To Passion narrated by Marian Hussey. I loved the narration and the story was really enjoyable. I wish Loretta Chase's Last Night's Scandal and [b..."

Same here! I just saw on LC's website that Last Night's Scandal and Not Quite a Lady will be released in January :)

message 34: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments KatieV wrote: "I think Marian Hussey (despite the unfortunate last name, lol) is an outstanding narrator. I'm not familiar with the author, but if it's a narrator I trust I'm more willing to give it whirl. "

I agree, she's in my top tier of narrators, also.

message 35: by Sue (last edited Dec 10, 2015 06:44AM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Just finished a couple more holiday romances A Cliché Christmas by Nicole Deese and A Lass for Christmas (Tenacious Trents, #4) by Jane Charles , getting through the backlog of titles I've picked up for free or next to nothing from audible/kindle unlimited. It's kinda fun to plow through so many novels quickly...

Currently trying out a new author to me with The Royal We by Heather Cocks which is narrated by Christine Lakin, very William/Kate with lots of college silliness so far. Still fun, but I think this author may love her words a bit too much. (Long over 17 hours for something I would think would be shorter).

message 36: by KatieV (new)

KatieV | 98 comments Just finished Splendor Splendor by Brenda Joyce and Marian Hussey was fantastic as always and I loved the story although the tears gave me a headache.

Now I'm jumping back over to PNR with a new-to-me author and narrator. Dragon Bound Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison

message 37: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments I'm listening to The Highwayman (Victorian Rebels #1) by Kerrigan Byrne , it's so good!

message 38: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments JaneA - who is the narrator?

message 39: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments Dee wrote: "JaneA - who is the narrator?"

Sorry, I should have said! It's Derek Perkins. I have heard a lot of good things about him, but this is the first time I've enjoyed one of his narrations. He is excellent, IMO.

message 40: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I'm listening to Sweet Ruin (Immortals After Dark, #16) by Kresley Cole and so far I'm underwhelmed. If this wasnt' narrated by Petkoff, I'd dnf it.

message 41: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments D.G. wrote: "I'm listening to Sweet Ruin (Immortals After Dark, #16) by Kresley Cole and so far I'm underwhelmed. If this wasnt' narrated by Petkoff, I'd dnf it."

Oh no! I just bought this one through the current sale! How far into it are you?

message 42: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I'm 30% into it. I really don't care at all about this new faction that she's introducing. There are so many threads left open in this series that I really don't see the need to introduce a different set of folks.

message 43: by KatieV (new)

KatieV | 98 comments D.G. wrote: "I'm 30% into it. I really don't care at all about this new faction that she's introducing. There are so many threads left open in this series that I really don't see the need to introduce a differe..."

I've heard a lot of complaints about the fact that we aren't checking back in with Munroe, which was left hanging in a BIG way, and there are so many other known characters that we're all waiting on too. I'm thinking the h is the sister of Thad (minor character from Dreams of a Dark Warrior and Lothaire). The H is completely new, I think.

I saw a comment from Cole about how she's really trying to plan this out for a very long haul (well beyond the 15 books we have). I suppose that plan necessitates her introducing more characters, but agree I was hoping for Munroe or someone else more familiar. I'm torn. I like to write myself and although I am very much an amateur I've found it hard to force myself to write something I'm not quite feeling at the moment, no matter how much it may be considered desirable by the reader. There is a part of me that pities pro authors who have contracts to meet and reader expectations to fulfill. Then again, I want to know what happens to Munroe, dammit!

Perhaps I will take this controversy as an excuse to stop hoarding my pre-ordered audio and jump on in. I was afraid I'd be horribly sad if I was left with no new IAD books for a year or more, but all the mixed feelings are killing me. I have to know how I'll react.

Yep, D.G. - Robert Petkoff could probably make me sit and listen to the phone book, so he's a huge asset for Cole.

message 44: by Christiana (new)

Christiana | 20 comments JaneA wrote: "Dee wrote: "JaneA - who is the narrator?"

Sorry, I should have said! It's Derek Perkins. I have heard a lot of good things about him, but this is the first time I've enjoyed one of his narrations...."

I loved the narration of The Highwayman as well! I think it improved the story for me to have all those different male voices, especially with Scottish accents.

message 45: by ms bookjunkie (new)

ms bookjunkie (msbookjunkie) | 89 comments I listened to La Nora's Luring a Lady, narrated by Christina Traister, and I am so full of warm fuzzies that I just can't even…anything. It really worked for me, and as I've been reading and rereading Luring a Lady for twenty years, that's saying a lot IMO. :)

I'm totally grabbing the rest of the Stanislaski series during this Audible sale! More warm fuzzies!

message 46: by Sue (last edited Dec 12, 2015 05:11AM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Sue wrote: "Currently trying out a new author to me with The Royal We by Heather Cocks by Heather Cocks which is narrated by Christine Lakin, very William/Kate with lots of college silliness so far. Still fun, but I think this author may love her words a bit too much. (Long over 17 hours for something I would think would be shorter).
..."

Not sure about this one, it's like a train wreck that I can't turn away from, it's fan/fiction (NA) of William/Kate romances... with embellishments (definitely fiction, but the outline is definitely William/Kate. It's kinda like being addicted to desperate housewives, you don't understand it but it happens.

message 47: by KatieV (new)

KatieV | 98 comments I'm torn on whether I can continue with Dragon Bound. Sophie Eastlake does a fine job w the heroines voice, but the Hero (big bad Dragon) sounds like Keanu Reeves in his Ted Theodore Logan days. I don't know if I should laugh, cry, or shelve it.

message 48: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments KatieV wrote: "I'm torn on whether I can continue with Dragon Bound. Sophie Eastlake does a fine job w the heroines voice, but the Hero (big bad Dragon) sounds like Keanu Reeves in his Ted Theodore Logan days. I ..."

Oh, too bad! That visual would ruin it for me! :) There are a couple of heroes in SE's narration of this series I don't care for (her accents aren't that great), but I do like Dragos' voice.

message 49: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments KatieV wrote: "I've heard a lot of complaints about the fact that we aren't checking back in with Munroe,"

There's not only Munroe but Kristoff and Furie. I even remember that Lothaire's book (which was #12), ended up on a cliffhanger of sorts when (view spoiler) and nothing has come of that! Then, there are all the Dacians (I think she tried to make that into a separate series but it was clearly part of the same world. If she wanted some new people, why not continue with those? At least those are related to Lothaire, which we haven't even heard about since his own book.

message 50: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments I'm listening to All I Want (Animal Magnetism, #7) by Jill Shalvis , and am feeling a little bored with the story and a little irritated with the heroine. Jill Shalvis is definitely hit or miss for me and I'm thinking this one is a miss. If Karen White wasn't narrating I'd probably not finish it. Thank goodness I got it from my library!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.