Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A political memoir

Comments Showing 1-50 of 107 (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Do you lean left? Or right? What piques your interest in this category?

message 2: by Megan (last edited Jan 15, 2016 12:00PM) (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments I think this is my most dreaded category. I don't enjoy politics so this is going to be a hard one to check off.

Edit:
Completed on January 13: The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. Took two days to listen to the audio book but like I said at the beginning this was going to be a hard category for me no matter what I did. Glad its checked off first.

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I agree. Not my favorite topic.

I'm thinking of reading The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. It's only 160 pages :)

message 4: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Sara wrote: "I agree. Not my favorite topic.

I'm thinking of reading The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. It's only 160 pages :)"

Well, that's surely better than the Walter Isaacson Franklin biography that I've had on my TBR shelf since it was released 10 years ago.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments Sara wrote: "I agree. Not my favorite topic.

I'm thinking of reading The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. It's only 160 pages :)"

I think you might be a lifesaver finding that one!

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie | 63 comments I read I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban this year & think that would probably count. But I need ideas for this one for sure.

message 7: by Melody (new)

Melody | 202 comments Katie wrote: "I read I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban this year & think that would probably count. But I need ideas for this one for sure."

Reading a memoir by a political activist is such a great idea! I will probably read either Journals by Keith Haring, AIDS activist and grafitti artist, or Revolutionary Suicide by Huey P. Newton, co-founder of the Black Panthers.

message 8: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindalt) | 99 comments I Am America (And So Can You) is one I am thinking about. Would A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity by Bill O'Reilly work for this prompt? This one is not my strongest so I'm struggling to find something that would keep me interested.

message 9: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5319 comments Mod
I'm not looking forward to this one either, but I have had Justice Sotomayor's memoir on my TBR list, so I think I'll read that.

message 10: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Belinda wrote: "I Am America (And So Can You) is one I am thinking about. Would A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity by Bill O'Reilly work for this prompt? This one is not my strongest so I'm struggling to find somethin..."

Ick. O'Reilly? I think I'd read Ben Carson first.

message 11: by Belinda (last edited Dec 07, 2015 01:57PM) (new)

Belinda (belindalt) | 99 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Belinda wrote: "I Am America (And So Can You) is one I am thinking about. Would A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity by Bill O'Reilly work for this prompt? This one is not my strongest so I'm struggling ..."

Hmm, guess it's a good thing I didn't ask your opinion about the author. Never said I liked the guy. I don't follow politics and it was one I had on hand that was given to me.

message 12: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) LOL! Sometimes I just speak my mind. (If someone gave me that, I'd give them a piece of my mind. And then use it for kindling.)

message 13: by Kaci (new)

Kaci | 67 comments I'd say that something by Bill Oreily counts. I haven't read the book but his claim to fame is definitely political in origin.

message 14: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Yes but books like "Killing Reagan", etc, are not memoirs. One of his other books would count.

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Fraioli (michellefraioli) I am reading Orange Is the New Black as my political memoir. Amazon categories this book under memoirs and politics, so that counts, right?

message 16: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I read that for this year's challenge. It's not "political" but it definitely shines a light on the prison system in an interesting way, and the system is at least somewhat political. I could see it as counting, especially if Amazon lists it as such.

message 17: by Alison (new)

Alison DeGrave (goodreadcomalison_perrin) | 9 comments I have Truman on my list and Rasputin: The Untold Story.

message 18: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn | 3 comments I'm planning to read Prague Winter: A Personal Story of Remembrance and War, 1937-1948. I don't think it focuses as much on Madeleine Albright's life in politics, but her family history and heritage while interweaving the politics of WWII.

message 19: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) That's a good selection, Kaitlyn. I read her book Madam Secretary and was enthralled. I think it applies since her experiences there colored her political philosophy.

message 20: by Marie-Soleil (new)

Marie-Soleil Benoit (mariesoleil23) | 3 comments I was wondering if Schindler's List and Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption would count as political memoirs, since I already own these books. If not, I'll definitely buy I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban!

message 21: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I'd include all of those as political memoirs

message 22: by Melody (last edited Dec 26, 2015 04:07PM) (new)

Melody | 202 comments Marie-Soleil wrote: "I was wondering if Schindler's List and Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption would count as political memoirs, since I already own the..."

I'm not sure either of those books would count technically since Schnidler's List is a novel and Unbroken is a biography/history. I believe a memoir has to be written at least partially by the subject themselves.

message 23: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments That's true, Malala would count though

message 24: by Marie-Soleil (new)

Marie-Soleil Benoit (mariesoleil23) | 3 comments Melody wrote: "Marie-Soleil wrote: "I was wondering if Schindler's List and Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption would count as political memoirs, si..."

Ok thank you!!

message 25: by Rin (new)

Rin (liriwave) | 3 comments Megan wrote: "I think this is my most dreaded category. I don't enjoy politics so this is going to be a hard one to check off."

I'm in the same boat.... It will probably be my last book I read.

message 26: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I just downloaded a book called The Romanov Sisters. It's supposed to contain their letters and journals. If it uses a lot of their writings I may use it as the political memoir. Certainly that was a turbulent time politically, and if at least partly written by them that works for me!

message 27: by CarleyB (last edited Dec 30, 2015 10:37AM) (new)

CarleyB | 35 comments Do you think Lies & the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair & Balanced Look at the Right would work? Al Franken cracks me up.

message 28: by Melody (new)

Melody | 202 comments CarleyB wrote: "Do you think Lies & the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair & Balanced Look at the Right would work? Al Franken cracks me up."

Despite being a fan of his work on SNL, I haven't read any Al Franken books. That being said, I believe that Lies & the Lying Liars Who Tell Them is book of political essays and media theory and not a memoir. If you want to stick closer to the intended meaning of the prompt and still read Al Franken, he did write a fictional autobiography of an alternate universe version of himself who ran for president, Why Not Me?.

message 29: by CarleyB (new)

CarleyB | 35 comments Melody wrote: "CarleyB wrote: "Do you think Lies & the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair & Balanced Look at the Right would work? Al Franken cracks me up."

Despite being a fan of his work on SNL, I ..."

Fantastic! Thank you, Melody, for the recommendation. I would like to stick close to the prompt.

message 30: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments Thanks Sara! I am going to read The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin as well!

message 32: by Arka (new)

Arka Duttagupta | 25 comments Hitler's Mein Kampf? It also falls into the category of Translated To English and Autobiography ..... Although I'm not reading it..... tried it before It's a boar

message 33: by Arka (new)

Arka Duttagupta | 25 comments Does Diary Of A Young Girl By Anne Frank Counts??

message 34: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah | 13 comments I think I might read "Fair Game: My Life as a Spy, My Betrayal by the White House" by Valerie Plame Wilson.

message 35: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Those last two definitely count.

message 36: by Nadine (new)

I think a political memoir should be a memoir written by someone who is or was involved in politics. So for me, Valerie Plame Wilson counts, Hitler counts, Ben Franklin counts, but Anne Frank does not. But the beauty and joy of these challenges is that we each get to interpret the categories in our own ways! There is no right or wrong, there are only books!! :-)

message 37: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah | 13 comments This of it this way -- Anne Frank's circumstances were do to the politics of Nazi Germany and World War II. Her memoir is a direct result of politics and a war (which is a result of bad politics).

Nadine wrote: "I think a political memoir should be a memoir written by someone who is or was involved in politics. So for me, Valerie Plame Wilson counts, Hitler counts, Ben Franklin counts, but Anne Frank does ..."

message 38: by Arka (new)

Arka Duttagupta | 25 comments Finally Found A Political (well Scientist & Political figure) memoir I'd like to read.... "My Life_ An Illustrated Biography - A.P.J. Abdul Kalam"

message 39: by Priya (new)

Priya Bhowal (priyalovingly) | 26 comments Can anyone tell me which type of books would we exactly call political memoirs?

message 40: by Anniina (new)

Anniina Palm (anniinamaria) | 6 comments I was thinking about reading Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela. He certainly had an outstanding life.

message 41: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristy67) | 53 comments What about the Motorcycle Diaries by Che?

message 42: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah | 13 comments Political memoirs can be memoirs of people who have been in politics regarding their life IN politics. For example, "Decision Points" by George W. Bush or "The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin" by Benjamin Franklin.

Political memoirs can also be memoirs of people who have been heavily affected directly by politics, people who have heavily affected politics, or people's memoirs who have greatly affected politics.

Some examples are "The Diary of Anne Frank", "Mein Kampf" by Adolf Hitler, "I Am Malala" by Malala Yousefzai, or "Fair Game: My Life as a Spy, My Betrayal by the White House" by Valerie Plame Wilson. Yes, I would also consider "The Motorcycle Diaries" by Ernest "Che" Guevara BECAUSE what he experienced on his travels is why he became a revolutionary and politician.

Here is a link to the GoodReads list of popular Political memoirs -- https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

Here's a link to Wikipedia's list of American political memoirs -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...

Here's another link to Wikipedia's category: political memoirs -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...

Priya wrote: "Can anyone tell me which type of books would we exactly call political memoirs?"

message 43: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah | 13 comments Absolutely! The incidents that occurred in "The Motorcycle Diaries" by Ernesto "Che" Guevara are the reason why he became a revolutionary and politician.

Kristy wrote: "What about the Motorcycle Diaries by Che?"

message 44: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Potenza | 6 comments I read "And the Good News Is..." by Dana Perino for the 2015 Challenge. It was a really interesting look inside the White House as well as how she got there in the first place to work under George Bush. I am going to read "Reagan's War:The Epic Story of his 40 year Struggle & Triumph" by Peter Schweizer for the category this year.

message 45: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments This is one of the categories that I am having the most trouble with. i have a hard time differentiating between memoir, biography and sometimes autobiography.

I was thinking Rasputin: The Untold Story...but would a book like Black Like Me count? Not sure if it's a memoir but it definitely reflects the politics of the time

message 46: by Nadine (new)

A biography is written by someone else, but the difference between a memoir and an autobiography is nuanced enough that I don't bother differentiating. Yes I think Black Like Me would fit.

message 47: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments There's a lot of overlap between autobiography and memoir but I think the main difference when classifying them is a memoir is more fluid, like memory, whereas an autobiography is supposed to stick closer to the facts.

message 48: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah | 13 comments A memoir is a collection of memories that an individual writes about moments or events, both public or private that took place in the subject's life.

A biography is a detailed description of a person's life.

An autobiography is a written account of the life of a person written by that person.

I'd pretty much give some leeway on the whole "memoir vs. autobiography" thing. If the person wrote his or her memoir, I'd consider it to be an autobiography, too. However, last year when I was looking for something for the "memoir" category, I did find one called "Sinner's Creed, A Memoir" by Scott Stapp.

message 49: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments It's memoirs that I tend to get most stuck on. I know that autobiographies are written by the person themselves, and a biography describes their life (although I usually avoid those).

Where I get stuck is with how a memoir is different from an autobiography. I always thought that autobiographies were written by the person, but a memoir was written about the person but possibly with their input. But for something like Rasputin or a few books I found about the Romanov princesses, it seems unlikely to have their input.

message 50: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments No, memoir is written by the person as well, it's just usually more episodic and dwells on the personal experience, emotions etc rather than strict facts as an autobiography technically would dwell more on.

« previous 1 3