Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A book written by a celebrity

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments This is my kind of category. A book written by a celebrity. You can go autobiography, fiction (James Franco, Ethan Hawke, Lauren Graham) or go with one of the self-help gurus like the good doctors (Phil & Oz).

Give us your recommendations here!

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments I had Scared Scriptless on my to be read shelf and I think I'm going to read that for this. Hopefully her being a soap opera star is "celebrity" enough. But she also was the host of Biggest Loser. and can't forget all those toothpaste commercials she stars in! haha

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I'm planning to read Never Broken: Songs Are Only Half the Story by Jewel.

message 4: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I don't know how many novels there are, but a lot of celebs have written children's books too... Julianne Moore (strawberry freckleface), Jimmy Fallon (snowball fight), John lithgow (marsupial sue) lol

message 5: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindalt) | 99 comments I own Role Models by John Waters and An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin so I'll likely read one of those.

message 6: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Belinda wrote: "I own Role Models by John Waters and An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin so I'll likely read one of those."

Steve Martin is a great writer. I've read a lot of his work both fiction (Shopgirl) and nonfiction Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life, which I would also recommend for a book by a comedian. Here's a man who can actually write (plus I love it when I read a book and can hear the writer's voice in my head). /booknerd

message 7: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments It's also vague about celebrity. I would tend to classify it as an actor or musician etc who is famous, but really you could classify someone like jk Rowling, Stephen king, Agatha Christie etc as a celeb in their own right.

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 4 comments Tara wrote: "It's also vague about celebrity. I would tend to classify it as an actor or musician etc who is famous, but really you could classify someone like jk Rowling, Stephen king, Agatha Christie etc as a..."

I love that the promps are vague! I think it leaves a lot of doors open to the readers and it's exciting to see what everyone else comes up with to fit the theme. As long as you're in the general vacinity of the prompt, I'd say it's a go!

message 9: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Tara wrote: "It's also vague about celebrity. I would tend to classify it as an actor or musician etc who is famous, but really you could classify someone like jk Rowling, Stephen king, Agatha Christie etc as a..."

Yeees, but that hardly seems right. They're famous because they're authors. Not famous for being famous.

message 10: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments True but it doesn't say a non author celebrity. I like the vagueness of some of them too, it gives you more room to wiggle and gives you the leeway to work more from your tbr.

message 11: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5321 comments Mod
I think celebrity is a really open category and can include people like Bill Nye and Stephen Hawking as well as actors, musicians, and athletes. I'm planning to read Felicia Day (or Stephen Hawking).

message 12: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) That's a good point, Nadine. People like Hawking, Nye, Neil deGrasse Tyson, they are all celebrities. And you can respect them!

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie | 63 comments I think I want to read As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride for this one. Because Princess Bride.

message 14: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Katie wrote: "I think I want to read As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride for this one. Because Princess Bride."

Oh I enjoyed that one! I read it at the end of last year. It was interesting to get a behind the scenes look at the filming.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (horrorchicky) | 1 comments The audio book of As You Wish is wonderfully brilliant, Cary Elwes does it himself and the other cast members and Rob Reiner read out their memories of the filming too. It's soooo good, so very very good.

message 16: by Ashly (last edited Dec 10, 2015 08:58AM) (new)

Ashly (ashlyh) | 63 comments I'm going to read You're Never Weird on the Internet by Felicia Day

message 17: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I forgot that my niece recommended I read A Work in Progress by Conner Franta. I'm not hip enough to recognize him as a popular YouTuber, but thankfully I have a hip niece that can clue me in :) I had planned to read that for this category.

message 18: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Sarah wrote: "The audio book of As You Wish is wonderfully brilliant, Cary Elwes does it himself and the other cast members and Rob Reiner read out their memories of the filming too. It's soooo good, so very ver..."

Ooohhh...I may have to try the audiobook at some point. I loved listening to Julie Andrews narrate her memoir, and I think Cary Elwes would be fabulous too!

message 19: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5321 comments Mod
adding As You Wish to my audio-to-listen pile now!! thanks, Sarah, for the heads up!!

message 20: by Katie (new)

Katie | 63 comments Sarah wrote: "The audio book of As You Wish is wonderfully brilliant, Cary Elwes does it himself and the other cast members and Rob Reiner read out their memories of the filming too. It's soooo good, so very ver..."

This makes me so excited! I had planned on the audiobook anyway, but I had no idea he read it.

message 22: by Kris (new)

Kris (kriswood) | 1 comments I'm going with Troublemaker by Leah Remini for this one.

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments This may be a bit of a cheat but I chose a picture book written by Weird Already Yankovic.

message 25: by Yazmin (last edited Jan 11, 2016 10:06AM) (new)

Yazmin | 9 comments I think I am going with The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie Summary & Study Guide. It's been in my TBR list for a very long time and fits perfect with this promt :)

message 26: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I just came across Rules for a Knight by Ethan Hawke while I was browsing show notes from Books on the Nightstand podcast. Looks pretty good, and it's also short if this is a tough category for you (like it tends to be for me).

message 27: by Melissa (last edited Jan 12, 2016 07:38PM) (new)

Melissa (spookycakes) I think I'm going to read One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories by B.J. Novak since it's been on my TBR pile for a while, though I wonder if that title might work for "A Book Written By a Comedian".

message 28: by Erin (new)

Erin | 51 comments I'm planning on reading Yes Please and Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life, and using one for this category and one for "Book written by comedian"

message 29: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Weber | 263 comments I'm going to read True by Hilary Duff. I read the first two books in the trilogy, Elixir and Devoted, a while ago but never got around to reading the final book. It's an interesting series though obviously not one that I'm dying to finish but it'll fit the prompt nicely.

message 30: by Jillian (last edited Jan 15, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Jillian Thanks everyone who suggested As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes, I had no idea what book to use for this category. Though I might use it for the autobiography instead.

message 31: by KLB (new)

KLB (klynnb) | 27 comments Bossypants by Tina Fey

message 32: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lrclark83) I read Troublemaker by Leah Remini. I enjoyed it but still really do not understand Scientology!

message 33: by Sara (new)

Sara (sorapandora) Katie wrote: "I think I want to read As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride for this one. Because Princess Bride."

I also plan to read this one!

message 34: by Juanita (last edited Jan 30, 2016 06:23AM) (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Here's a list from Overdrive on forthcoming celebrity memoirs. Course their interpretation of "celebrity" is a bit broad. I don't think of Amy Winehouse's mom as a celebrity but maybe she is in the U.K.

message 35: by Michele (new)

Michele Sorensen (majkmom4) Has anyone read The Only Pirate at the Party by Lindsay Sterling? I am thinking about reading it for this prompt.

message 36: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Murray | 9 comments I read Crippled America: How to Make America Great Again for this challenge. It was much better than I anticipated it would be! I really only read it to be more politically informed but I did get something out of it. Still can't stand it when he talks IRL however :-)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes Please by Amy Peohler

message 38: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ejaeger) | 5 comments I'm going with Wildflower by Drew Barrymore.

message 39: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (lpbbunny) | 9 comments Katie wrote: "I think I want to read As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride for this one. Because Princess Bride."

Got that for my birthday. It is a fun and fast read.

message 40: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments I forgot to update this when I actually read the book, but I read My New Teacher and Me!, which was a really cute kids book by Weird Al Yankovic.

message 41: by Leigha (new)

Leigha (leighas_life) Not really sure, but leaning toward You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day

message 42: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne M | 9 comments For this category I just finished Wherever I Wind Up by R.A. Dickey (knuckleball pitcher for the Toronto Blue Jays). Very interesting life story!

message 43: by Christi (last edited Mar 10, 2016 07:50AM) (new)

Christi | 45 comments I read Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology by Leah Remini. I loved it. She is brutally honest and funny and human.

message 44: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I'm just finishing up Never Broken: Songs Are Only Half the Story by Jewel which I have really enjoyed. I knew bits and pieces of her story from back when her first album was released, but I think she has written a very honest and interesting account of her personal and professional history. Bonus - the audiobook was read by her including bits of a capella singing :)

message 45: by Katie (new)

Katie Shuter Rompala (dreaminginthirdperson) | 8 comments I read An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin.

message 46: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Just finished reading my interlibary loan Contact by Carl Sagan Contact by Carl Sagan for another book club, and then realized that he's a celebrity!

When I was going to high school (in the dark ages), he was a big time celebrity. So, I'm putting him down for this prompt! YAY! A celebrity I can respect!!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 47: by Patricia (last edited May 17, 2016 07:05AM) (new)

Patricia Juanita wrote: "Belinda wrote: "I own Role Models by John Waters and An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin so I'll likely read one of those."

Steve Martin is a great writer. I've read a lot of his wor..."

I wish I had thought of Steve Martin for the comedian prompt. I read Seriously... I'm Kidding by Ellen Degeneres and was disappointed: bland, ho-hum. But I haven't selected a book by a celebrity so maybe I will go with Steve Martin. Thanks!

message 48: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Steve Martin is a true Renaissance man. He also plays the banjo and is producing a Broadway musical.

message 49: by Patricia (last edited May 17, 2016 07:33AM) (new)

Patricia Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Just finished reading my interlibary loan Contact by Carl SaganContact by Carl Sagan for another book club, and then realized that he's a celebrity!

When I was goin..."

This sounds like a great read. (I went to school in the dark ages too!) I've got a book on my wish list written by an astronomer at the Vatican. I may read both and compare!

message 50: by Patricia (last edited May 25, 2016 10:02PM) (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 112 comments One of the best books I've read by a celebrity was Me: Stories of My Life by Katharine Hepburn. There were parts that made me laugh until I cried. What a life.

I just found a book on my shelf that fits the category perfectly - Gracie: A Love Story by George Burns. I guess I am dating myself. Oh well!

For the category "autobiography" I have a book written by Roy Rogers and Dale Evans called Happy Trails Our Life Story by Roy Rogers . Talk about dating myself!

« previous 1