Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A book recommended by someone you just met

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments A book recommended by someone you just met ... this one is tricky. Several members have similar reading interests to mine. Does a virtual meeting count? ;-)

Not sure how we track these suggestions since we'll all encounter different people in our lives.

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments This one is tough since I don't meet a lot of new people, and book recommendations is not always at the top of the list for discussing with new acquaintances.

I think a virtual meeting totally counts!

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 539 comments I think virtual meetings count. I'm going to use a recommendation I got from a booktuber (a person that reviews books on YouTube) and go with the Unspoken series.

message 4: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindalt) | 99 comments I started working at a new place a few weeks ago and one of my coworkers recommended Mud Vein by Tarryn Fisher.

Emma's Things to Read | 27 comments Could we recommend each other books on here?

message 6: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Emma wrote: "Could we recommend each other books on here?"
That's my hope, too!

message 7: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) Hello all, it's nice to meet you. I recommend Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Rosenthal. :-)

Mindy

message 8: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I think I'm going to wait until I get all the low -hanging fruit first and then I'm going to ask the last person I "friended".

message 9: by Monica (new)

Monica (booksarelove) | 113 comments When I go to the library, I plan to look around for someone borrowing a few books and then introduce myself to him/her and say that I'm participating in a reading challenge and ask for a recommendation. People who borrow books from the library tend to be nice people, right?

message 10: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Or misanthropic loners who prefer the company of books to people :P

message 11: by Melody (last edited Dec 30, 2015 09:11AM) (new)

Melody | 203 comments I have a friend who used to work at Powell's in Portland and the staff there loved giving book recommendations! I've found that that's generally the case at independent bookstores. If you have one near you, they also tend to have an employee recommendation self, you can use that to find the employee you think has the most similar taste to you. :)

message 12: by Marie (new)

Marie (marie123) | 37 comments Do the 'our customers/employees recommend this' card in the bookstore count?
But for real, I'm just going to ask an employee in a bookstore for a recommendation. My local independent store has a lot of staff who are always willing to talk about books, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind!

message 13: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Marie wrote: "Do the 'our customers/employees recommend this' card in the bookstore count? "

Absolutely IMHO.

message 14: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments Belinda wrote: "I started working at a new place a few weeks ago and one of my coworkers recommended Mud Vein by Tarryn Fisher."

I think we can!!

message 15: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments I just read The fault in our stars and it was very good! A little hard to get into it at first but, over all a great book! If anyone wants to use that as a recommendation! :)

message 16: by Diane (new)

Diane | 69 comments While waiting in the boarding area of the airport, I was sitting next to someone who was discussing books with her friend. I noticed she was also reading a book, so I asked for a recommendation. Will start reading her recommendation tonight.

message 17: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments What did she recommend? I love random stranger book chats :)

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Tarulis | 0 comments Emma wrote: "Could we recommend each other books on here?"

I would love this!

message 19: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments Diane wrote: "While waiting in the boarding area of the airport, I was sitting next to someone who was discussing books with her friend. I noticed she was also reading a book, so I asked for a recommendation. Wi..."

What did she recommend?

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 618 comments I'm planning on either asking around on the groups that I am part of, or specifically asking for a GoodReads recommendation from other uses.

The only people I'm likely to meet during this year are new college placement students at my workplace, and they tend not to be huge readers in my experience. I definitely think online meetings count.

message 21: by Fabiana (new)

Fabiana Acosta (fabi_ad) | 14 comments I recommend The Iron Trial The Iron Trial (Magisterium, #1) by Holly Black

message 22: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindalt) | 99 comments I would like to recommend Room or Station Eleven. Those were my two favorites I read last year.

message 23: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I recommend the orphan train and dad is fat, two of my faves this year!

message 24: by Eleanor (last edited Jan 05, 2016 04:58PM) (new)

Eleanor | 39 comments Books that I have recommended to people....The Night Circus; The Magician's Lie; The Sugar Queen; Champion. There are probably lots more, but those I have recommended to multiple people :)

message 25: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments Eleanor wrote: "Books that I have recommended to people....The Night Circus; The Magician's Lie; The Sugar Queen; Champion. There are probably lots mor..."

Thank you! I wanted to read the Night Circus! Now I can haha :)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Watermelon by Marian Keyes

message 27: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 0 comments I just realized I have a book for this task. In a different goodreads group, one of the challenges was to have a shelf with 50+ book choices and then a different member would select 3 books from that shelf for you to read.

message 28: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristy67) | 53 comments I did it! Went to Barnes&Noble, found a worker (hello Tristen), introduced myself, explained the challenge and asked for a recommendation. He started with Troublemaker by Leah Remini, but I'm using that for book written by a celebrity and should get it from the library this week. So, he went to a YA stand alone book called Conversion by Katherine Howe. I am SO excited for this one. It sounds great.

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 618 comments I may also broaden the definition of "just" met to include anyone met within the last year or so.

message 30: by Arka (new)

Arka Duttagupta | 25 comments Eleanor wrote: "Books that I have recommended to people....The Night Circus; The Magician's Lie; The Sugar Queen; Champion. There are probably lots mor..."

Thank You... Eleanor..... I'm reading Legend By Marie Lu for romance set in future category... So, by your recommendation I'll read Champion too :)

message 31: by Kali (new)

Kali | 18 comments I'm going with a loose interpretation of this one too. I met someone a few years ago, and at the time she recommended Kate Morton's The Forgotten Garden. I haven't read it yet. So because I got the recommendation when we firs met, I'm going with it!

message 32: by Lindi (new)

Lindi (lindimarie) Yay! I finally asked my new co-worker and she recommended A Discovery of Witches, of the All Souls trilogy.

I've heard good things about this so I'm excited to read it.

message 33: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 5621 comments Mod
I don't know what I'm going to do for this prompt, I'm leaving it open right now ... I think I will either (a) pick one of the really interesting books recommended in this very discussion thread, (b) walk up to a librarian and ask for a recommendation, or (c) maybe I will actually meet someone this year who recommends a book!

A Discovery of Witches looks good, so I might read that!

message 34: by KLB (new)

KLB (klynnb) | 27 comments Blindness by José Saramago - recommended by the father of a cub scout from our pack

Hi, my name is Kristy-lynn. I recommend all the Cormoran Strike books, Cuckoo's Calling, The Silkworm and Career of Evil.

message 35: by Jenncw (new)

Jenncw | 22 comments Does a brand new book blog count? The blogger highly recommended Appealed by Emma Chase. I was going to read it anyway, so maybe it is cheating...

message 36: by Stacey (last edited Feb 14, 2016 08:30PM) (new)

Stacey (simmyreads) | 11 comments I was recommended a book by a person I had met in the bookstore about 5 minutes before she recommended the book. This happened a year ago, but I'm counting it because of the time frame of knowing her and the recommendation. I haven't read the book yet, because it didn't hold my attention in the first couple of chapters. Maybe if I force myself, it will get better. It is Double Blind, has anybody read it? Is it any good?

message 37: by Leigha (last edited Mar 14, 2016 09:16AM) (new)

Leigha (leighas_life) This was kind of awkward for me, as I had to introduce myself to the help desk guy at Barnes and Noble and ask him to recommend a book to me. I think he must have thought I was a little strange.

Finally after he recommended a couple books, I bought Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

message 38: by Nadine in NY (new)

I am leaving this prompt until the bitter end!!! I keep hoping I'll spontaneously meet someone who will recommend a book to me ... but so far no luck. I guess I'll use my fall-back plan and March up to a librarian I don't know and ask him/her. Or I can move to Plan C and ask someone here!! So I probably won't get this done in May for the monthly group read.

message 39: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I've decided to ask the person who I most recently "friended" through Goodreads for this one.

message 40: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "I've decided to ask the person who I most recently "friended" through Goodreads for this one."

This is another great idea.

message 41: by Janet (new)

Janet Cripe (jcripe) | 35 comments This is going to be tough. I don't just randomly ask strange people to recommend a book, so I've thought of a compromise. I recently signed up for a 6-month membership to Brilliant Books. I am waiting on them to send me my first book to read. No, I haven't met the people at this book store, but they are recommending a book by sending one to me based upon my preferences. Otherwise, I would just end up skipping this month's prompt. Also, you might use recommendations posted on here. Again, you haven't face-to-face met these people, but I've found some good suggestions already for other categories. Asking your local librarian would be good too. They'd probably love the opportunity to share their favorites.

message 42: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 618 comments I'm defining "just met" fairly broadly for this one, and choosing a book recommended by someone that I met this year. This person was a field placement student at the agency where I work, and she highly recommended Me Before You, a book that I already really wanted to read. This is one of the books that I was most excited to start, so I hope it lives up to it.

message 43: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I don't get out much, so that's why I decided to ask the last person who "friended" me here on Goodreads. You could also ask the latest person who friended you on Facebook or Twitter. It really isn't that hard. I mean, you could ask one of the library helpers you haven't met yet. Or go in a bookstore new to you. There's no reason to make it more difficult than it is.

message 44: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 0 comments I would love to get a recommendation from someone doing this challenge. Anyone have a book that is their absolute favorite and would recommend to me? I'm hoping to find a really good book that I haven't read before. Bring on the suggestions! Thanks!!

message 45: by Nadine in NY (new)

Two of my favorites that I recommend are Station Eleven and Daughter of Smoke and Bone.

message 46: by Mike (new)

Mike | 443 comments Just got my recommendation from a librarian. Fallen Angels

message 47: by Charissa (new)

Charissa | 10 comments Last year, I was standing in a VERY long line for a showcase and I started talking to people around me. We started talking books, and The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing was recommended by someone I literally just met. Unfortunately for me, I read that book last year, and I loved it. So, I am posting it here now, as a recommendation for you :)

message 48: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) This sounds like it would be good for self-help too.

message 49: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I just finished reading (and crying over) Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult for this prompt. It was recommended by my latest book pal (a buddy read program we have in another group I'm in).

message 50: by LiteraryMarie (new)

LiteraryMarie A couple of new Twitter peeps recommended I read What Lies Between Us or A Thousand Splendid Suns. Also while visiting the library, I met a fellow book lover and she recommended A Thousand Boy Kisses.

So I am picking from these.

« previous 1