Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A New York Times best seller

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juanita (last edited Nov 30, 2015 05:54PM) (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Will you choose a current title or one that was a best seller years ago? The Times has lists for e-books, fiction, nonfiction, YA, hardcover, paperback, even graphic novels!

Here's a link to peruse the current lists. Where will you land for A New York Times best seller?

message 2: by Melody (last edited Dec 11, 2015 08:21AM) (new)

Melody | 203 comments I found that if you go to your library's website you can click on a link and it will show you all the New York Times Bestsellers they have available for check out.

Here's the link for my local library, the LA County Library, that should be available to browse regardless of whether or not you have a card with them.

http://losangeles.libraryreserve.com/...

message 3: by Ashly (new)

Ashly (ashlyh) | 63 comments I might pick up Humans of New York Stories by Brandon Stanton . It sounds interesting and seems quick to read.

message 4: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments I have it, Ashly. It is awesome!

message 5: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Also, there is a link in my original post above that goes to the NY Times best sellers list archive.

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Many newspapers publish the current list weekly.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura | 44 comments What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

I just finished this book yesterday, and I will be counting it towards this category.

It was on the list back in September of 2014 :)

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 539 comments I think I'm going to read See Me. I had pre-ordered it when it came out but haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. It's on the best seller list for Hardcover Fiction.

message 9: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments I just finished Humans of New York: Stories, which was amazing. I slotted here but I am also going to post as a recommendation in "guaranteed to bring you joy."

message 10: by EllenZReads (new)

EllenZReads Juanita wrote: "I just finished Humans of New York: Stories, which was amazing. I slotted here but I am also going to post as a recommendation in "guaranteed to bring you joy.""
That IS on my list for a book guaranteed to bring you joy! :) I am a huge fan of the HONY site.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

message 12: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments The best of me by Nicholas Sparks is a great book! I haven't been able to put it down and it is on the New York Times best sellers list :)

message 13: by CarleyB (new)

CarleyB | 35 comments I had to go back through some lists, but I found some that I already own but have not read yet.

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho The Alchemist
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Ready Player One
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins The Girl on the Train

message 14: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Weber | 264 comments I'm currently reading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon for this prompt. Though it was released in the early 90s it didn't make the NYT Bestseller list until 2014!

message 15: by KLB (new)

KLB (klynnb) | 27 comments Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee

message 16: by Kitty (new)

Kitty | 13 comments I think I am going to read the Lovely Bones for this one, because I've been wanting to read it for quite a while now and I recently found it somewhere for free, and noticed it has a bestseller claim on the cover.

message 17: by Donna (new)

Donna Craig | 9 comments The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I love that book!

message 18: by Fran (new)

Fran G | 37 comments I read The immortal Life Of Henrietta Lacks. It was a New York Best Seller for 2011. Very interesting. They took cells from her cancer tumor. They were the first cells that grew outside the body and they are the standard for research today. Very interesting book.

message 19: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Just finished reading World War Z An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks for this prompt. Much better than the movie!

message 20: by Leigha (new)

Leigha (leighas_life) I am currently reading Congo by Michael Crichton for this challenge.

message 21: by Christophe (new)

Christophe Bonnet | 212 comments Since I'm doubling up on the challenge, and I read both in French and in English, I try to read one book in French and one book in English for each prompt. It was obviously a bit hard to find a French book for this prompt, but I did it:

✅10. A New York Times bestseller: Françoise Sagan, Bonjour tristesse, Pocket, 2002 (1ère éd. 1954).

The English translation was NYT bestseller for several weeks in 1955. Hard to figure out why, since the book is more than a little bit disappointing. I guess the combination between Mediterrannean beaches and some mildly sexual content (from the point of view of the young female narrator, and written by a young female writer) was titillating enough to readers of both genders!

message 22: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Just finished reading Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke for the "set in Europe" prompt. But it would also qualify for this one.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah FitzGerald | 14 comments I read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I finished the series for the first time a couple weeks ago, and I slotted the books into several categories for the challenge.

message 24: by AF (new)

AF | 319 comments I read The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold. I loved her other books ( The Lovely Bones and Lucky ) and this one was really good, too.

message 25: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Groves | 57 comments I made a list of several that I was interested in, and the first one I managed to get to was The Girl on the Train. Maybe not up to all they hype, but still a good thriller.

message 26: by JoAnna (new)

JoAnna | 84 comments I recently finished The Nightingale.

message 27: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 112 comments I believe Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt was a best seller. I googled the list but found a load of New York Times reviews for the book. I wasn't aware that it won the Pulitzer Prize. I have been wanting to read it for years.

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 618 comments Does it need to be #1 on a bestseller list, or does anywhere on the list suffice?

message 29: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Rachel wrote: "Does it need to be #1 on a bestseller list, or does anywhere on the list suffice?"

They release a list every week. It's actually printed in my hometown paper. But you could probably Google for it.

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 618 comments Finished my book for this last night. I went with Save Me, which was on the list in 2011.

message 31: by Monica (new)

Monica (mcosselman) After You (Me Before You, #2) by Jojo Moyes
Currently #9 on the NYT Bestseller List

message 32: by Malin (new)

Malin  (readygoread) (malinadr) Is "all the light we cannot see" an acceptable book for this one? Or does it have to be a current one? :)

message 33: by Riley (new)

Riley (rileyfickett) I went with Wonder by R.J. Palacio for this prompt. I listened to the audiobook and I'm wondering if I would have liked it better if I had read the physical copy. The actor that voiced August was a bit distracting, though I understand they were trying to convey his "difference" through voice. The story was wonderful, though, and I appreciated the approach of speaking from multiple perspectives.

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

message 34: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5607 comments Mod
I know this post has lots of links to best seller lists, so I know how to see the lists, but is there an easy way to check if an individual book was ever on the NYT list? Does The NYT have a search function for that? (Just Googling works, but it's messy because I have to wade through a lot of unwanted hits first.)

message 35: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 178 comments I read After You and I would NOT recommend it. I read Me Before You and really liked it. I really like Jojo Moyes writing on top of the actual storyline so figure After You would be a good route to take. I have told multiple people since finishing it, don't waste your time. Sorry if anyone loved it, just my personal opinion :)

message 36: by Christi (new)

Christi | 45 comments Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult.
I loved it. Especially learning about elephants.
I haven't read Picoult in a long while. This was one of her better books. Good balance of character development and plot twists.

message 37: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) I agree about Girl on the Train Nancy, it gripped me but it wasn't the best thriller I've ever read.

Christi, I totally agree about Leaving Time! I haven't read any Jodi Picoult in quite a few years either, I'd got to a point where I found some of her stuff to be quite...formulaic. I was given this as a gift, and absolutely did not see the twist coming! I actually shouted "NO FREAKING WAY" out loud! luckily I was home alone...

For this one I read The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories, and thought it was lovely. The author tragically died before her life could properly begin, and this was published posthumously. Some say that it's her death that has made this book bigger than it might have been, but I did really enjoy the book and thought she was clearly a very talented writer.

message 38: by Amber (new)

Amber | 38 comments I read Brooklyn by Colm Toibin.

message 39: by Kim (new)

Kim Erickson (madtroll) | 1 comments See No Evil: The True Story of a Ground Soldier in the CIA's War on Terrorism, by Robert B. Baer. It was Ok, but I did get bored near the end.