Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A romance set in the future

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Whether you are a fan of Tris & Four, want to get to know Peeta/Gale and Katniss or love to love Eve & Roarke, have fun with a romance set in the future.

message 2: by Melody (new)

Melody | 202 comments Even though romances set in the future are not my typical genre, this is actually the prompt I am the most excited about! My friend Sara Elizabeth Santana's first book The Awakened comes out TOMORROW!!! And it just happens to be a romance that takes place in the future! I'm super psyched for it to be my first book of 2016!!!

message 3: by Nadine (last edited Dec 15, 2015 05:46PM) (new)

Nadine Jones | 5341 comments Mod
I read a lot of romance, and a lot of books set in the future, but I DON'T read a lot of romances set in the future! So this will be tough!! Here are some ideas I've come up with. A bunch of these authors are new to me. I think I might read Shards of Honour, because I've heard a lot of good things about Bujold:
Amaryllis (Castle)
Shards of Honour (Bujold)
Caught in Amber (Pegau)
The Host (Meyer)
Grimspace (Aguirre)
Song of Scarabaeus (Creasy)
Freedom's Landing (McCaffrey)
Fortune's Pawn (Bach)
Valor's Choice (Huff)
Naked in Death (JD Robb)
Heart Mate (Owens)

message 4: by Melody (new)

Melody | 202 comments For last year's challenge I read Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro and Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, and thought they were excellent. Both have romances that take place in the future, and that are central to the plot, but are used to illustrate the persistence of humanity in a dystopian landscape and other interesting themes as opposed to being a typical romance that happens to take place in some kind of future. The Dream of Perpetual Motion by Dexter Palmer and Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut would also qualify in a similar way as above.

message 5: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments 1984 isn't really a romance (and technically isn't set in the future anymore, but was when written) but the affair is pretty central to the plot too.

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I can not recommend Eve & Roarke in the In Death series enough! I especially love the audiobooks. Susan Ericksen is wonderful!

Melody, I read Slaughterhouse Five this year. But I would hardly qualify it as a romance.

message 7: by Nadine (new)

Which book is the Death series? Is that JD Robb? I'm happy to read a traditional straight-up romance for this category, I just want to find a good one! (I read one by Ann Aguirre and hated it, so I'm leery of reading more by her.)

If you count any romantic entanglement in a future story, that does open up the field quite a bit. Divergent or even Hunger Games would work. Or something from William Gibson, most of his books have a relationship (The Peripheral did, for sure). Just about any YA dystopian would work, like The Fifth Wave, Legend, Diana Peterfreund's two books, etc)

message 8: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) The In Death series by JD Robb starts with Naked in Death. It is hard to categorize. It is romantic suspense set in the 22nd century as well as detective, science fiction, and police procedural. The most recent book is Wonderment in Death (#41.5).

message 9: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 409 comments That one is not easy for me. It seems like I can't find something I like ou would like.

message 10: by Arka (new)

Arka Duttagupta | 25 comments Same Here..... Someone Recommended me Legend Any Idea how is that?

message 11: by Nadine (new)

I loved Legend - one of my favorite recent YA series

message 12: by Kiki (new)

Kiki | 8 comments The Legend-Triology was my favourite read in 2014 (waaay back, I know). I would totally agree with the recommendation. A very smartly developed lot with strong characters and an intricate (political) setting! Loved, loved, loved it!

message 13: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindalt) | 99 comments I have seen some recommendations for the In Death Series by JD Robb. Warm bodies, Delirium and Shatter Me are some others I have seen in this category.

message 14: by Nadine (new)

I'm planning to read the first In Death book. I read Delirium and I really loved it, but it has a certain YA-angsty quality that may not appeal to everyone (but it appeals to me!)

message 15: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor | 39 comments I've read Legend, Delirium and Shatter Me (I read a lot of YA :) ) I really liked the Shatter Me trilogy, but a lot of people are put off by her writing style. I enjoyed Delirium a lot, but I tend to forget that I read it, and it's the only one of the three that I haven't felt compelled to complete the series. Just finished the Legend trilogy earlier last year...both my daughters (11 and 14), and my husband all loved it, so I think it has the broadest appeal, if you don't typically read romance. Also read the Under the Never Sky trilogy and liked that a lot too.

message 16: by Nadine (new)

I'd advise that you not bother completing the Delirium trilogy - I LOVED the first book, big love, but the other two books were sub-par and you're not missing anything (they ruined the first book for me)

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nic0lexmichele) I was recommended Matched by someone who I just met. So I'm going to look into reading it and knock out two categories. :)

message 18: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Nicole wrote: "I was recommended Matched by someone who I just met. So I'm going to look into reading it and knock out two categories. :)"

Matched is a trilogy so be aware what you are getting yourself into. I liked the first, the second was OK, the third I haven't been able to finish. /mytwocents

message 19: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I think two cents should be adjusted for inflation. It'd probably be 2 buck by now.

message 20: by Reyna (new)

Reyna (neonwolf247) | 10 comments I might need some helpful suggestion's for this one.
I was thinking of reading Dearly, Departed but I heard the author doesn't want to write the third book which is a shame and I don't want to put my heart out there for a book that might never be finished.

sooo....if anyone can lend me a hand for this one I really appreciate it.

message 21: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (kiik) | 158 comments Soo what do all of you consider "romance," because a lot of you are including YA, and I had never thought about YA being romantic. I know that this is an individual challenge, but still... What do you you have that's not YA?

message 22: by Melody (new)

Melody | 202 comments Katherine wrote: "Soo what do all of you consider "romance," because a lot of you are including YA, and I had never thought about YA being romantic. I know that this is an individual challenge, but still... What do ..."

For this challenge, I'm counting any book where a romance between two or more characters is important to the main plot, or is one of the main subplots of the books. Someone asked for non-YA books earlier in the thread (though it looks like they deleted their comment), and I responded with a few of my suggestions. I'm sure other members will have a lot of great recommendations as well!

Melody wrote: "For last year's challenge I read Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro and Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, and thought they were excellent. Both have romances that take place in the future, and that are central to the plot, but are used to illustrate the persistence of humanity in a dystopian landscape and other interesting themes as opposed to being a typical romance that happens to take place in some kind of future. The Dream of Perpetual Motion by Dexter Palmer and Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut would also qualify in a similar way as above."

message 23: by Katherine (last edited Jan 18, 2016 09:59PM) (new)

Katherine (kiik) | 158 comments Good call. Thanks, Melody!

message 24: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I read Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3) by Beth Revis Shades of Earth by Beth Revis for this prompt.

message 25: by Catharina (new)

Catharina (_nekoi) | 93 comments I'm going to go with Divergent for this one, not sure if it's 100% accurate, considering it's not mainly about the romance, but it's side story so it'll have to do haha

message 26: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Another one for this Illuminae

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments When is Delirium set? I was hoping to read it for this prompt because I'm really struggling to find something, but when I looked it up, it said "alternate present" as the setting.

message 29: by Nadine (new)

I read "Delirium" as a future book, a dystopian. It's not the FAR future, but it's in the future, because the wreckage of present day cities and infrastructure is referenced (in the third book they walk across the Tappan Zee bridge, I think)

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments Nadine wrote: "I read "Delirium" as a future book, a dystopian. It's not the FAR future, but it's in the future, because the wreckage of present day cities and infrastructure is referenced (in the third book they..."

Fair enough. That seems to be the consensus on most of the sites that I've looked at, so I'll probably pick this since it is the only one that has even remotely interested me.

message 31: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Weber | 263 comments I'm going to read Atlantia by Ally Condie. It's set in a futuristic world where people have had to make homes under the ocean because it's too toxic on land. I'm not entirely sure how much romance there is in this book but I've been wanting to read it for some time now so we'll see.

message 32: by Jane (new)

Jane Jetson | 12 comments I read Dawn by Octavia Butler. The romance is not central to the novel either, but I can't eek out another futuristic book! The romance IS central to the series in a way. It is a good book and not very long. Again, just not my genre of choice.

message 33: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments I decided to go with Delirium in the end, since it seemed futuristic enough. They say in the beginning it's been about 60 years since the new law was passed, so we can assume that the law either happens sometime in our future or happens in the present and the book takes place 60 years after that.

message 34: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 78 comments I am going with Oryx and Crake.
I just read Cinder, which would probably also qualify for this category.

message 35: by Priya (new)

Priya Bhowal (priyalovingly) | 26 comments Can anyone suggest me a really good pleasing romance that's set in the future??

message 36: by Nenda (new)

message 37: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Holbrook (jessicalh08) | 86 comments So I had decided to read Never Let Go since it was recommend here, but I opened it and it said on one of the first pages England, late 1990's. Has anyone read it and can confirm for me it's set in the future, because now I'm worried it's not.

message 38: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Holbrook (jessicalh08) | 86 comments *Never Let Me Go

message 39: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I wasn't sure when it was supposed to be. It's not like our world so I guess I assumed future but it could be more parallel. Like 1984 is not like our world but it's not set in the future (at least not anymore)

message 40: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Holbrook (jessicalh08) | 86 comments True! Thanks for the help. I might switch it over to the dystopian novel category just to be safe. I still really would like to read the book.

message 41: by Marion (new)

Marion (dogear) | 10 comments I finished "Naked in Death" by J.D.Robb., thank you for the suggestion. I never would have read this book. It was actually pretty good. Not sure if I will read any of the other books in the series but I got through it and did enjoy it more than I thought I would.

message 42: by Angie (new)

Angie Jenkins (longerdecember) | 6 comments I'm reading The Next Together... Although technically it takes place over a bunch of different times (some past, some future). I decided i didn't care, because I have it/want to read it.. and it fits well enough.

Emma's Things to Read | 27 comments After reading this thread I've also gone for Naked In Death - definitely not something I would read otherwise - about a quarter of the way through and it's alright so far

message 44: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments Angie wrote: "I'm reading The Next Together... Although technically it takes place over a bunch of different times (some past, some future). I decided i didn't care, because I have it/want to rea..."

I really strongly considered that book also. In the end, I decided against it because it seemed like it was mostly in the past and very little in the future, but I would still love to try it.

message 45: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 409 comments Marta wrote: "I am going with Oryx and Crake.
I just read Cinder, which would probably also qualify for this category."

You just help me find the book I will read.

message 46: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Oryx and crake might be a stretch for romance but it's a fantastic series!

message 47: by Helen (new)

Helen (cooksbooks78) | 11 comments I have read Ten Thousand Skies Above You the second in the Firebird series. It is sci-fi about inter dimensional travel. Which, as far as I am aware, is futuristic technology!! There is a boy/girl (triangle-groan!) story line running through, but the sci-fi dominates more, which is how I like the romance, at a minimum!!!

message 48: by Ally (new)

Ally (aheadfull0fghosts) | 3 comments I think most of these would work (Books that Prove Love Can Transcend Space & Time): http://www.epicreads.com/blog/books-t...

message 49: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Weber | 263 comments I loved Scarlet so much for the fairy tale prompt that I had to fit Cress into the challenge so I swapped it in for Atlantia. I might have to find another spot for that if I can. Any of the Lunar Chronicles would fit in this category.

message 50: by Christi (new)

Christi | 45 comments I read Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde.
Two of my least favorite genres combined! LOL

« previous 1