Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A book translated to English

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Share your suggestions for this prompt. Note it's a twist from the 2015 challenge prompt "a book originally written in another language."

message 2: by Nadine (last edited Mar 28, 2016 04:20AM) (new)

Nadine Jones | 5371 comments Mod
I think I'm going to stay with the same author I read last year, and read the second mystery novel in the series by French author Fred Vargas (Seeking Whom He May Devour)

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I'm thinking of reading the second book in the Nina Borg series by Lene Kaaberbøl or maybe the second book in the Flora Godmunsdottir series by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I am planning to read Inkheart. There are a lot of books on this list that were translated from a language other than English:

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

message 5: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindalt) | 99 comments I'm going to read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo,

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments The struggle is real for me and this category. I'm thinking Ruby Red. We'll see.

message 8: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments I read The Little Paris Book Shop this year. It was written in German and translated to English this year.

message 9: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnali) I'm not doing the 2016 challenge, but I would like to recommend Boris Akunin's Erast Fandorin mysteries. They were originally written in Russian and translated to English. They may be a bit hard to find, but they are well worth it.

message 10: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) They are incredible. But you're right about being hard to find. I've had to either order them used from http://betterworldbooks.com or use interlibrary loan.

message 11: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments Belinda wrote: "I'm going to read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo,"

This is what I am reading too! I saw this on the list and was very happy!

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (ohmandy70) I'm going to read Perfume the Story of a Murderer this year. If you haven't read The Little Paris Bookshop, I'd highly recommend it.

message 13: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 409 comments Since I wanted to read a book by Dostoievski, I think that will be my choice for this categorie.

If you are into science fiction, I would suggest: The Three-Body Problem. Very good.

message 14: by Monica (new)

Monica (booksarelove) | 110 comments I'm planning to read The Wisdom of Leonardo da Vinci written by Leonardo da Vinci.

message 15: by Fabiana (new)

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura | 44 comments I'm planning on reading Eva Luna by Isabel Allende.

message 17: by Naaz (new)

Naaz Chima I'll be reading "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Márquez

message 18: by Naaz (new)

Naaz Chima I'll be reading "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Márquez

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

The Tokyo Zodiac Murders (Detective Mitarai's Casebook) by Soji Shimada

message 20: by Elke (new)

Elke Sisco | 33 comments Just saw this mentioned on io9, sounds great:

The Deep Sea Diver Syndrome, translated from French.

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura Parker Not a novel but The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up was translated from Japanese to English

message 22: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cyntax) I'm reading Ripper, because the audio version at my library happened to be available when I was looking for a new audio book for commuting.

message 23: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristy67) | 53 comments The Brothers Karamazov. Ambitious, but I've been meaning to get to it for years!

message 24: by Missy (new)

Missy | 13 comments I just finished The Dinner and was pleased that it fit this prompt as well as several others

message 25: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (purpleypumpkin) | 5 comments This is a great suggestion! I have The Dinner on my "to read" bookshelf, but didn't realize that it was a translation. Thanks!

message 26: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I just finished reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho for this prompt, though I'll bet it could've qualified for a road trip as well.

message 27: by Catharina (new)

Catharina (_nekoi) | 93 comments I'm going with This way for the gas, ladies and gentlemen:

This Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen by Tadeusz Borowski

I bought it while visiting Krakow and Auschwitz-Birkenau in autumn, and I'm really looking forward to reading it.

message 28: by Mike (new)

Mike | 443 comments Catharina wrote: "I'm going with This way for the gas, ladies and gentlemen:

This Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen by Tadeusz Borowski

I bought it while visiting Krakow and Auschwitz-Birkenau in autumn, and I'..."

This reminds me that Night also works for this prompt. I finished it yesterday, but I'm putting it under Oprah's Book Club. It would also work as Under 150 pages and Set in Europe.

message 29: by Wolgan (last edited Jan 20, 2016 10:44AM) (new)

Wolgan If you're into Sci-Fi and Time Travel, All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka is a fantastic book translated from its original Japanese. Some really great twists on the genre, and it's a pretty quick read.

Think Groundhog Day meets Starship Troopers. Yes, it's as awesome as it sounds. Lots of depth, great action, and relatable characters.

message 30: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashleeg) Sara wrote: "I am planning to read Inkheart. There are a lot of books on this list that were translated from a language other than English:

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/......"

I am planning on reading Inkheart as well.

message 31: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne  (rkmorita) | 41 comments Going w/ the girl with the dragon tattoo, seems like it's a popular choice for this challenge.

message 32: by KLB (new)

KLB (klynnb) | 27 comments One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

message 33: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments Roxanne wrote: "Going w/ the girl with the dragon tattoo, seems like it's a popular choice for this challenge."

That is what I am going with too!

message 34: by Patty (new)

Patty Rose (pattyrose31) | 18 comments I'm reading My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry translated from Swedish to English!

message 35: by Catharina (new)

Catharina (_nekoi) | 93 comments Patty wrote: "I'm reading My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry translated from Swedish to English!"

Good choice, one of the best books I've ever read!

message 36: by Katie (new)

Katie Kaste (brite0321) | 26 comments I am going to read the third book in the precious stone trilogy "Emerald Green" by KerStein Geir translated from German to English. I hope it is a great end to a trilogy I started last year.

message 37: by Patty (new)

Patty Rose (pattyrose31) | 18 comments Catharina wrote: "Patty wrote: "I'm reading My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry translated from Swedish to English!"

Good choice, one of the best books I've ever read!"

I absolutely loved it!!!

message 38: by Shaelynn (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 9 comments My book club read Death with Interruptions by José Saramago this month, which qualifies here - it was translated from Portuguese.

message 39: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Svoboda | 7 comments I'm planning on reading The Lovers of Algeria by Anouar Benmalek. translated from French.

message 40: by Leigha (new)

Leigha (leighas_life) Ruby Red (Precious Stone Trilogy, #1) by Kerstin Gier for me. The original language was German, I believe.

message 41: by JoAnna (new)

JoAnna | 84 comments I'm going to try We by Zamyatin for this one

message 42: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) I'm reading Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol for this week's prompt. I started it weeks ago and have stalled on it - it's certainly enjoyable, but for some reason I keep forgetting I'm reading it.

message 43: by Nadine (new)

I've stumbled upon another interesting contender for this prompt: Apocalypse Z: The Beginning of the End ... because I like zombie books, and I especially like zombie books that have a different twist (in this case, the "twist" seems to be that it's journal entries by a nice, regular guy). I already read Jo Nesbo's Nemesis for this category, and I was planning to read Fred Vargas's "Seeking Whom ..." for "set in Europe" but I might read Apocalypse Z instead. I'll get to the Vargas book at some point this year, it's just a question of which book gets to fill the prompt.

message 44: by AF (new)

AF | 319 comments Night by Elie Wiesel is a good one for this prompt.

message 45: by Melanie (last edited Apr 26, 2016 10:55PM) (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 40 comments Marianne wrote: "The Snowman- Jo Nesbø. Originally in Norwegian.
This one is also becoming a movie that's supposed to be released late 2017, so it can be read as the book becoming a movie this year. :-)

Several o..."

I was also going to suggest Jo Nesbo's novels, or the "Department Q series" by Jussi Adler Olsen are very good. The Keeper of Lost Causes (Department Q, #1) by Jussi Adler-Olsen The Keeper of Lost Causes is the first one in the series.

message 46: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 40 comments Patty wrote: "Catharina wrote: "Patty wrote: "I'm reading My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry translated from Swedish to English!"

Good choice, one of the best books I've ever read!..."

Oh..this is wonderful! On my TBR shelf and did not know it was translated. Thank you

message 47: by Christi (last edited May 25, 2016 06:58AM) (new)

Christi | 45 comments I read Still Waters by Vivica Sten. It was originally written in Swedish. I loved it. A murder mystery set in during the summer holidays in Sweden. A quiet island village now worries that there is a serial killer loose among them. Local boy turned big city detective must try to solve the murders. Good stuff.

This book could also fit following categories if you already read a translated book:
a book that takes place during summer
a murder mystery
a book that takes place on an island (the island Sandhamn)
a book set in Europe (Sweden)

message 48: by Nadine (new)

Christi, that sounds good, and I hadn't heard of these. I added it to my TBR list!

message 49: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 112 comments I found a copy of The Bridge on the Drina by Ivo Andrić at our library book store. I picked it up since it mentioned on the cover that it won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1961. It was translated from Serbo-Croat so it meets the criteria. Hope it is interesting.

message 50: by LiteraryMarie (new)

LiteraryMarie Too bad I already read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It is a good choice for this prompt and those who haven't read it before.

I read Perfect Days for a book translated to English.

« previous 1