Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A book you haven't read since high school

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments What did you read in high school? And does this mean books that were assigned to us or books we read because we wanted to do so? Always open to your own interpretation ... share your pick for a book you haven't read since high school.

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I was planning to read The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure. Haven't read it since 10th grade. But then I saw it on that list for satirical books. Since that isn't my strong suit, I might have to use it for that prompt instead. We'll see what happens.

message 3: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I'm planning on re reading the handmaids tale, Margaret Atwood is a personal hero :) I want to reread it before I read her new one

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments I was going to read The Westing Game. I remember really liking that one when I was in high school so I'm curious to see if I still would like it.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan (megabou) | 64 comments I am going to read Night by Elie Wiesel. I plan on reading the other two books in the trilogy this year, so this is the perfect opportunity for a refresher.

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I was thinking of maybe reading A Separate Peace by John Knowles.

message 7: by Ashly (new)

Ashly (ashlyh) | 63 comments I never read assigned books. But I did read a book of my choice for a Reading Class?. The teacher took the class to Barnes & Noble and we got to pick a book to keep. I chose Blue is for Nightmares by Laurie Faria Stolarz which I still own. Recently I found got out it is a series and wanted to re-read it, then read the other books.

message 8: by Melody (last edited Dec 09, 2015 11:50PM) (new)

Melody | 203 comments For this challenge I want to read a book that skimmed over or partially sparknoted in order to finish in time for class, but otherwise liked and would want to read. Currently that leaves me with The Scarlet Letter, Les Fleurs du Mal, Assassination Vacation, or Native Son, which wasn't assigned to my class, but my high school boyfriend used to read me whatever he was reading at the time, and I remember it being late and falling asleep a couple of times during the book.

message 9: by Patty (new)

Patty Rose (pattyrose31) | 18 comments Here's a great list! https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

I'm skimming to find one I can listen to with my 11 year old daughter! It's much more fun to do a required book with her!

message 10: by Patty (new)

Patty Rose (pattyrose31) | 18 comments I think we are going to read Watership Down - I remember liking it as a sophomore!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Lord of the Flies by William Golding or 1984 by George Orwell.

message 12: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristy67) | 53 comments I literally cannot complete this one. Every book I read in HS, I have reread. LOL I'm going to do a book from college instead. Their Eyes Were Watching God.

message 13: by Leigh Ann Jones (new)

Leigh Ann Jones | 23 comments I'm going with The Great Gatsby because it was definitely my favorite assigned reading in high school. My younger cousin just finished reading it for the first time and just can't seem to stop talking about it and rereading.

message 14: by CarleyB (last edited Jan 07, 2016 09:01PM) (new)

CarleyB | 35 comments This is such a hard one to pick. There are so many good books I read in high school... and then re-read.

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden Memoirs of a Geisha
The Rose That Grew from Concrete by Tupac Shakur The Rose That Grew from Concrete

message 15: by Tara (new)

Tara Harrison | 11 comments I really really dislike rereading books but I think I'll go with Pride and Prejudice or Jane Eyre

message 16: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 5900 comments Mod
I'm interpreting this to mean a book I read for enjoyment in high school and have not read since - there are lots to choose from, since I rarely re-read books. I think I will read the second Princes of Amber book from Roger Zelazny, The Guns of Avalon The Guns of Avalon by Roger Zelazny because a few years ago I decided I was going to reread that entire series (but I never got past the first book - too many other good books to read!). I will try to finish the first five books in the series this year, because I really enjoyed my re-read of the first book.

message 17: by Alex (new)

Alex | 27 comments I'm planning on rereading Lord of the Rings, even though the last time I read that was in 8th grade. It's been WAY too long since I read it. But if LotR doesn't work out (like I ran out of time, or I'm totally burnt out on fantasy because I'm also reading the last two ASOIAF books), my back up is Bless Me, Ultima. I remember reading the book and loving it, but I cannot remember any details.

message 18: by Regan (last edited Jan 17, 2016 06:51PM) (new)

Regan (mollytornado) I'm going to read the play Long Day's Journey Into Night by Eugene O'Neill. It wasn't assigned to me in high school; I read it for pleasure. I loved it and am looking forward to rereading it.

message 19: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Weber | 264 comments I really don't want to reread a book for this category. I have so many books on my TBR list but I want to stick as close as possible to the spirit of the challenge. So would it be stretching it too much if I read a new book from a series I read in high school? I got Clariel by Garth Nix for Christmas and I'm dying to read it but it doesn't really fit in any of the categories right now. I read Sabriel in high school then Lirael and Abhorsen in college.

message 20: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I think that seems like a reasonable compromise if you don't want to reread anything

message 21: by KLB (new)

KLB (klynnb) | 27 comments Anne of Green Gables

message 22: by Rachel V. (new)

Rachel V. Poling (inareadingrutx1f97a) I am starting Lord of the Flies for this topic.

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 4 comments Do actually have physical or mobile copy of this book but in sr high school (gr 11/12) we had been assigned " all quiet on the western front" for english class. wouldn't mind actually reading that one again ☺

message 24: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 4 comments haha correction: don't actually have

message 25: by Kitty (new)

Kitty | 13 comments From when I was 18-22 I was a really big rereader, so pretty much all the books I read and liked in high school, I reread afterwards. For me there are two options, or I am going to reread a reeeeallly big book that's always been in my top5 favorite books since then, but I've never reread (Discovery of heaven (ontdekking van de hemel) by harry mulisch), or I'm going for a reread of another book by a Dutch author, Kaas by Willem elschot. I think I am going to save this category for summer to see which one it will be, the big or the skinny book.

message 26: by Mike (new)

Mike | 443 comments Trying to choose. My first thought was Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo, but am now considering Black Like Me or The Amityville Horror.

message 27: by Abbey (new)

Abbey Stansfield | 3 comments I was excited to see this one. I was a huge reader in high school so there were so many running through my mind. At first I was going to do a Wrinkle in Time but then remembered I reread that one in University and again after. So I've decided on The Hunter's Moon by O. R. Melling. I just hope it's as wonderful as I remember.

The Hunter's Moon

message 28: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Grayson | 9 comments I'm reading To Kill a Mockingbird. My high schooler needs to read it, so I'll read along with him! And I've wanted to retread it before reading Watchman.

message 29: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Grayson | 9 comments I'm reading To Kill a Mockingbird. My high schooler needs to read it, so I'll read along with him! And I've wanted to retread it before reading Watchman.

message 30: by Donna (new)

Donna Craig | 9 comments I am reading Watership Down. I remember loving it in high school, but I've forgotten the details.

message 31: by Leigha (new)

Leigha (leighas_life) The Face on the Milk Carton (Janie Johnson, #1) by Caroline B. Cooney

I wonder if I will still like this book now that I am older.

Emma's Things to Read | 27 comments Am struggling with this one. I'm now a high school English teacher so have reread so books many many times!

message 33: by Catharina (new)

Catharina (_nekoi) | 93 comments Charlotte wrote: "I really don't want to reread a book for this category. I have so many books on my TBR list but I want to stick as close as possible to the spirit of the challenge. So would it be stretching it too much if I read a new book from a series I read in high school? I got Clariel by Garth Nix for Christmas and I'm dying to read it but it doesn't really fit in any of the categories right now. I read Sabriel in high school then Lirael and Abhorsen in college. "

I'm doing this as well.
When I was in high school I read a series by Johanne Hildebrandt about the Norse Gods, which I absolutely love. She has since decided to continue the story, and I'm so excited. But, I interpreting this to "series" and going with it :)

message 34: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlove) | 25 comments In high school I was supposed to read A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess but never did. I tried watching the movie for cliff notes but that didn't help. I finally decided to actually read it (well over 25 years later) and I've just finished it. It was a little twisted but I'm glad that I've finally read it. Lots of topics for discussion.

message 35: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah | 13 comments "A Clockwork Orange"
"The Color Purple"
"Slaughterhouse-Five" (never really finished that one)

message 36: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 25 comments I read "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway for this prompt. The actual physical book I read - in 1970!! I don't know how I kept this book for so long; I've moved several times, and I don't normally hang on to books.

message 37: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Carey (nancycarey) I have been going back and forth on this one but I decided to read "Pride and Prejudice" because I just ordered "Eligible: A modern retelling of Pride & Prejudice".

message 38: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Flores (disneywitch22) | 34 comments I'm currently read A Walk To Remember by Nicholas Sparks. I read this for fun and I didn't like it at the time cause it wasn't like the movie at all lol. But now that I'm older I'm hoping to like it more then I did before.

message 39: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Flores (disneywitch22) | 34 comments *reading

message 40: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Hall I actually forgot I'd read this ... But when I was reminded I thought okay Ill try it again...

So I recently finished Ella Enchanted for this challenge which was as good as I remember however having forgotten about it and seen the film it was a little confusing to read...

message 41: by Sunday (new)

Sunday Reynolds | 2 comments I read so many books in high school, from class assigned ones to ones I wanted to read. One of my favorite ones was "If I should die before I wake." by Han Nolan. I'll probably be rereading that one.

message 42: by JoAnna (new)

JoAnna | 84 comments I think I've finally decided on reading I am the Cheese. I read it my senior year of high school and loved it.

message 43: by Patricia (last edited Jun 27, 2016 08:04PM) (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 112 comments I read The Sojourner by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings and cried and cried. I just loved this book.

message 44: by Monica (new)

Monica (mcosselman) Emma

Just as good as I remember it being!

message 45: by Riley (new)

Riley (rileyfickett) I re-read The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry in preparation of the Netflix film that's coming out this month and fell in love with the story all over again! If you haven't read this I HIGHLY recommend. This is a perfect story for all ages.

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

message 46: by Christi (last edited Aug 04, 2016 08:34AM) (new)

Christi | 45 comments I read The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.
I think I read it in junior high. Or maybe 6th grade. Either way it was a long time ago. And I only vaguely remembered it.
I was inspired to pick it for this topic after reading Rob Lowe's Stories I Only Tell My Friends. He talks a lot about the casting, the shooting and the impact of The Outsiders. You can read that excerpt for free as Socs and Greasers: Behind The Scenes of The Outsiders from Rob Lowe's Stories I Only Tell My Friends

message 47: by Riley (new)

Riley (rileyfickett) Christi wrote: "I read The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.
I think I read it in junior high. Or maybe 6th grade. Either way it was a long time ago. And I only vaguely remembered it.
I was inspired to pick..."

Stories I Only Tell My Friends is great! I listened to it on audiobook a few summers ago and it was so interesting to hear his stories of growing up as an actor!

message 48: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 622 comments I'm reading Lord of the Flies for the first time since the tenth grade. I'm enjoying it a lot more this time around.

message 49: by Kathy (new)

« previous 1