Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

473 views
2016 Challenge prompts > A YA bestseller

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Juanita (last edited Feb 14, 2016 02:13PM) (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Rainbow Rowell, John Green, Veronica Roth, Suzanne Collins ... to whom will you turn for a YA bestseller?


message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments I wanted to read I'll Give You the Sun for 2015 but could never fit it in to any open prompts nor could I find any extra time to read it. I think I'll finally get to see if this book lives up to the hype!


message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I'm planning to read The Maze Runner


message 4: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Sara wrote: "I'm planning to read The Maze Runner"

Now you're starting to freak me out because I was thinking of reading this one too. So similar!

I rely on my 17-year-old niece for my YA and dystopian recommendations. Course, I did demand she read Eleanor & Park after I read it this year. Even ordered a copy on Amazon and had it shipped right to her. (She's 150 miles away.)


message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Juanita wrote: "Sara wrote: "I'm planning to read The Maze Runner"

Now you're starting to freak me out because I was thinking of reading this one too. So similar!

I rely on my 17-year-old niece for my YA and dystopian recommendations. Course, I did demand she read Eleanor & Park after I read it this year. Even ordered a copy on Amazon and had it shipped right to her...."


That is scary. My 14 year old niece does that for me, and I read Eleanor and Park this year and shoved it into her hands too! :)


message 6: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindalt) | 99 comments I will be reading Thirteen Reasons Why.


message 7: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 409 comments Is Artemis Fowl a YA novel? I am really not familiar with the genre.


message 8: by Melody (new)

Melody | 202 comments I would classify the Artmeis Fowl books as middle grade, but genre isn't finite and things blend, so if you feel like it should count, then go for it!


message 9: by Ronni (new)

Ronni (rgnimps) | 17 comments For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure I found Artemis Fowl in the YA section of my library growing up! Another YA book I'd recommend is Hope Was Here, if anyone's looking for suggestions.


message 10: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 409 comments Thanks! I should have wait to read Thirteen Reasons Why last week.


message 11: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I think I'll read Cinder by Marissa Meyer. Everyone seems to like that series.


message 12: by Taylor (new)

Taylor  Prescott | 6 comments Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys is a fantastic YA best seller.


message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I'd suggest Megan Shepherd's excellent trilogy starting with The Madman’s Daughter


message 14: by Sally (new)

Sally (phoenix623) | 23 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "I think I'll read Cinder by Marissa Meyer. Everyone seems to like that series."

It is an amazing series --- I am on the 3rd book at the moment.


message 15: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Me, too, Sally ! I just love it !


message 16: by Sally (new)

Sally (phoenix623) | 23 comments Sally wrote: "Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "I think I'll read Cinder by Marissa Meyer. Everyone seems to like that series."

It is an amazing series --- I am ..."


If you read through the series, it also covers a bunch of the prompts - #1 (any of the books - fairy tale), #3 (any of the books - YA bestseller), #10 (any of the books - NYT bestseller), and #18 (Winter - over 600).


message 17: by EllenZReads (new)

EllenZReads I just finished the Unwind Dystology by Neal Shusterman and heard about his latest book: Challenger Deep. It sounds interesting so I am going to try it for the YA bestseller category.


message 18: by Annisa Nurul (new)

Annisa Nurul Aziza (azizanurul) | 8 comments If I Stay by Gayle Forman


message 19: by Nadine (last edited Jan 03, 2016 07:45AM) (new)

Nadine Jones | 5484 comments Mod
Right now I'm reading The Rose Society The Rose Society (The Young Elites, #2) by Marie Lu (I'm only one chapter in and not impressed ... yet - I didn't really love the first book in this series and had hopes this one would be better ... how can the author of my very beloved Legend Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu series fail me so badly? anyway, that's a tangent ...), and it was on the NYT YA best sellers list for 7 weeks in 2015, last listed Dec 20, 2015. This counts as a "YA Best Seller," right?

http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-b...


message 20: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments For this prompt I am going to read Scarlet by Marissa Meyer.

I figure I will read Cinder for the fairy tale prompt, Scarlet for this prompt and then Winter for the prompt of being 600 pages or more. Now if I could find a spot on this challenge to read the two other books in this series that would be great! Just thought I would share my idea :)


message 21: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5484 comments Mod
You could do Cress or Scarlet for fairy tale, and Cinder plus Glitches and/or The Little Android (both shorts available free on Tor.com) as book plus prequel! That only leaves Fairest to shoehorn in ...


message 22: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5484 comments Mod
Or ... The Queen's Army plus Scarlet as book plus prequel ... (The new Star Wars reminded me of The Queen's Army, the bit about Stormtroopers trained since childhood).


message 23: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer] | 194 comments Nadine wrote: "You could do Cress or Scarlet for fairy tale, and Cinder plus Glitches and/or The Little Android (both shorts available free on Tor.com) as book plus prequel! That only leaves Fairest to shoehorn i..."

Wow thank you!!!!


message 24: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor | 39 comments Loved Cinder and Scarlet- I'm thinking of doing Cress for fairy tale, and Winter and Fairest for book and prequel :) I read a lot of YA dystopian, and have probably read quite a lot of the bestsellers. I don't read much of straight YA fiction- I liked Paper Towns though, so maybe I'll give another John Green book a go....Or maybe Eleanor and Park, since I don't often come upon my name :)


message 25: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I just started Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard yesterday. It would probably count.


message 26: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor | 39 comments Loved Red Queen. And it's currently #2 on Amazon's teen best seller list, so I think it would definitely count :)


message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Paper Towns by John Green


message 28: by Fujin reads (new)

Fujin reads (fujinreads) Is November 9 by COHO comes is in YA or not?


message 29: by CarleyB (last edited Jan 08, 2016 02:31PM) (new)

CarleyB | 35 comments I was reading the Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout, but I have too many books to choose from in TBR pile. I think I'm down to these two:

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare City of Bones
The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1) by Alexandra Bracken The Darkest Minds


message 30: by Ashly (new)

Ashly (ashlyh) | 63 comments Is Grasshopper Jungle, Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith a YA Best Seller?


message 31: by Sierra (last edited Jan 14, 2016 02:23PM) (new)

Sierra (sjones166) | 12 comments I'm going to be reading Evermore by Alyson Noel the first in her "The Immortals" series. I found the whole series at a library book sale a couple years ago, cost me 6$ and I've been meaning to read them ever since and it just never worked out. So nothing is going to stop me this year! haha


message 32: by Kali (new)

Kali | 18 comments Definitely John Green. Either An Abundance of Katherines or Paper Towns. These have been on my to-read list for way too long!


message 33: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Kali wrote: "Definitely John Green. Either An Abundance of Katherines or Paper Towns. These have been on my to-read list for way too long!"

Why yes they have! Go with An Abundance of Katherines. It's my second favorite.


message 34: by Mellanie (new)

Mellanie Gould | 44 comments I'm reading Twilight. I've had the book for a little while now and I've been meaning to read it so this gives me the perfect reason :) I really like the book and it's so different from the movie.


message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments I had a strangely hard time finding a bestseller list for YA for some reason. I kept finding lists that were just for fiction in general, and most of those were books for adults.


Emma's Things to Read | 27 comments Does anyone know if the Lunar Chronicles have to be read in order ordinary they stand alone? tia x


message 37: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5484 comments Mod
Emma wrote: "Does anyone know if the Lunar Chronicles have to be read in order ordinary they stand alone? tia x"

Lunar Chronicles must be read in order!


message 38: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5484 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "I had a strangely hard time finding a bestseller list for YA for some reason. I kept finding lists that were just for fiction in general, and most of those were books for adults."

Here you go, this week's YA hardcover list from the NYT (there is also a list for YA paperback, look to the links in the left hand margin):

http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-b...

To see past weeks, just click around on the top there where you see the date.


message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments Nadine wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I had a strangely hard time finding a bestseller list for YA for some reason. I kept finding lists that were just for fiction in general, and most of those were books for adults."

H..."


Thanks, I think I did see this list a while ago but had trouble navigating it far back enough to actually give me a different set of books. I picked Me and Earl and the Dying Girl in the end, which I'm pretty sure is there.


message 40: by Kimberly (last edited Jan 23, 2016 10:39AM) (new)

Kimberly (purpleypumpkin) | 5 comments Eleanor wrote: "Loved Cinder and Scarlet- I'm thinking of doing Cress for fairy tale, and Winter and Fairest for book and prequel :) I read a lot of YA dystopian, and have probably read quite a lot of the bestsell..."

I just finished reading Eleanor & Park and loved it! I highly recommend this YA book.


message 41: by Kitty (new)

Kitty | 13 comments I think I will also go with Eleanor & Park, if my library has it in English. I read all Rainbow's other books, but I only see that one in its Dutch translation in the library, which sucks so I hope one day I will finally find the English one, so I can say I have read all of her books!


message 42: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Has anyone read Gossip Girl? I bought it at a used book sale and am thinking of using it here (low hanging fruit and all that).

Curious. I read a fair amount of YA so just exploring options right now.

And the way you all talk about Cinder, I feel like I need to add that to the TBR.


message 43: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Juanita wrote: "Has anyone read Gossip Girl? I bought it at a used book sale and am thinking of using it here (low hanging fruit and all that).

Curious. I read a fair amount of YA so just exploring options right now.

And the way you all talk about Cinder, I feel like I need to add that to the TBR. ..."


I have not read Gossip Girl, but you should definitely add Cinder to your TBR list :) It took SEVERAL recommendations before I finally tried it, but it was very, very good. I'm waiting to borrow book #4 from my niece.


message 44: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 56 comments I'm currently reading Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen Saint Anything for this challenge.


message 45: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Weber | 263 comments Juanita wrote: "Has anyone read Gossip Girl? I bought it at a used book sale and am thinking of using it here (low hanging fruit and all that)..."

I've read all of the Gossip Girl books and the companion series The It Girl. They're quick reads and I liked them but I also started reading them in high school. I never really watched the TV show because it deviated so much from the books.


message 46: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlove) | 22 comments I was thinking about reading Allegiant for this category but I don't think that this is a best seller. I think Roth's Divergent was a best seller but not the other 2 books. Can anyone tell me? If not, I will read The Book Thief instead.


message 47: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments It was definitely a best seller.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/bo...


message 48: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlove) | 22 comments Awesome, thanks!


message 49: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor | 39 comments Just finished Eleanor & Park- probably wouldn't have picked it up if it hadn't been for the challenge- for YA, I read mostly dystopia. I really liked it. (and, it's rare for anyone of my generation to have my name, so it's cool, even for a fictional character to have it :) And since this is set in the 80's, she actually is my generation!)


message 50: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Eleanor wrote: "Just finished Eleanor & Park- probably wouldn't have picked it up if it hadn't been for the challenge- for YA, I read mostly dystopia. I really liked it. (and, it's rare for anyone of my generation..."

I adored this book. After I read it, I went onto Amazon and ordered a copy to send to my niece, who was 17 at the time.


« previous 1
back to top