Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A National Book Award Winner

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Which books will you read for this challenge? Find your inspiration here.

message 3: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5323 comments Mod
Round house by Louise Erdrich for this.

message 4: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments The Round House is amazing.

message 5: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I guess "national" will mean it depends where you live if you take it as being your nation lol I might look at the giller winners or Governor General's literature award and CBC reads does a thing similar to the goodreads one.

message 6: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments I say go with what you want for the category. However, since the award is called the National Book Award, I think there are plenty of
Choices. Just as if there was a category for Man Booker it would just be the Man Booker honorees eligible.

message 7: by Nadine (new)

The National Book Award is a specific prize (yes, in the US), but I think all of these categories are open to interpretation, which is part of the fun

message 8: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Yeah I guess I wasn't seeing it as a National Book Award I was reading it as a national book award winner lol I did know that was a specific prize but just misread it.

message 9: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) 2015 National Book Awards:
http://www.nationalbook.org/nba2015.h...

message 10: by Ashly (new)

Ashly (ashlyh) | 63 comments I might read Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine

message 11: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (purpleglow) | 5 comments Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates - was already something I grabbed recently at the library, so I'll save it to use for this category. :)

message 12: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 6 comments Either The Great Fire or Salvage the Bones for me. I own both of them and already on my tbr lists

message 13: by Lainie (new)

Lainie (wanderlustaddict) It's not a winner, but it was a finalist; Bone Gap is amazing! I read it over the summer and it was a great read.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading Redeployment by Phil Klay.

message 15: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments I found The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion at the used book store this weekend. I've always wanted to read it.

message 16: by Reyna (new)

Reyna (neonwolf247) | 10 comments I'll be reading Challenger Deep it sounds like this is going to be a really good book to read so I'm looking forward to it.

message 17: by Kitty (new)

Kitty | 13 comments I read The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen for this one, just finished it today, and I can't say I can recommend it. I didn't really enjoy it, it was chunky and dense and everyone was depressed.

message 18: by EllenZReads (new)

EllenZReads Reyna wrote: "I'll be reading Challenger Deep it sounds like this is going to be a really good book to read so I'm looking forward to it."

I just finished Challenger Deep as my choice for this week. It's excellent!

message 19: by Britt (new)

Britt | 25 comments Just finished Salvage the Bones, and I definitely recommend it. Also it was under 300 pages so easy to squeeze in

message 20: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 30 comments I've had Just Kids by Patti Smith on my TBR for ages, so this will give me a good reason to finally get around to it.

message 21: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments I absolutely LOVED Just Kids. Read it last year. Regret giving my copy away.

message 22: by Nadine (new)

I was so disappointed in Just Kids! It will be interesting to talk about it if you read it. I remember fuming that I couldn't believe it had won the the National Book Award for nonfiction when The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks was published the same year and i thought it was more deserving of award.

message 23: by Alek (last edited Mar 06, 2016 09:14PM) (new)

Alek TS | 27 comments Tara wrote: "I guess "national" will mean it depends where you live"
Nadine wrote: "The National Book Award is a specific prize (yes, in the US), but I think all of these categories are open to interpretation, which is part of the fun"
But it's not said "your National", so I chose The Specsavers National Book Awards (British) :)

message 24: by Leigha (new)

Leigha (leighas_life) For this challenge, I am trying to stick with as many books as I own to read some of these books I've had for ages! I am going to read What I Saw and How I Lied
What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandag23) | 2 comments I think I'm going to read A Little Life. It was a finalist in 2015 not the winner but it was on a list of suggestions by Popsugar so I'm going to count it.

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments I picked Mockingbird. I guess it's a bit of a cheat since it's a middle grade book, but it by far the one that appealed to me most.

message 27: by Patricia (new)

Patricia I'll be reading In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex for my NBA winner. It's also the first book for my book-to-movie club! Excited to get started!

message 28: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Rachel wrote: "I picked Mockingbird. I guess it's a bit of a cheat since it's a middle grade book, but it by far the one that appealed to me most."
Some of my favorite books are young adult literature. Good writing is good writing! I don't consider them a "cheat" at all!

message 29: by Alek (new)

Alek TS | 27 comments Patricia wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I picked Mockingbird. I guess it's a bit of a cheat since it's a middle grade book, but it by far the one that appealed to me most."
Some of my favorite books are youn..."

There is no have cheating, till we start match one book in more than one category and count it as two or more. This challenge is first for yourself, so you decided :) and most of the books are good for more than one category, so you choose where to put it.

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments Patricia wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I picked Mockingbird. I guess it's a bit of a cheat since it's a middle grade book, but it by far the one that appealed to me most."
Some of my favorite books are youn..."

I love young adult books also, but this one was classified as middle grade which is pretty different from what I'd normally read. But I have to say, I finished it last night and it's a very heavy book for the target age group.

message 31: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 78 comments I read The Grapes of Wrath. It was on my list for a long time so when I saw it was a National winner, it was time!

message 32: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I hope you had a good experience, Marta. I read it in high school and hated it. Then I re-read it (with my mom) for a book club in 2008 and found it very relevant. Especially with all the bad behavior of banks in the book and in real life.

message 33: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 78 comments @Kristen - I thought it was a profound book - the style, the subject matter, the showing of the desperation of good people who were willing to work but could not, the crazy injustices rampant, greedy capitalism is capable of. Tough read, and as you said, unfortunately relevant.

message 34: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Eads Challenger Deep is amazing so far. 75% of the way through.

message 35: by Yana (new)

Yana Pogue | 11 comments Just finished Fortune Smiles by Adam Johnson. I wanted to read something recently published and this was the 2015 National Book Award winner for fiction. The stories are a bit dark but beautifully written.

message 36: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) I was thinking of reading The Color Purple

message 37: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jmarie84) | 19 comments For this challenge I'm reading "What I Saw and How I Lied". Has anyone else read this one yet? How was it?

message 38: by LiteraryMarie (new)

LiteraryMarie I read Getting Mother's Body for the National Book Award Winner prompt.

message 39: by Kirsten (new)

message 40: by Nadine (new)

Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Just finished listening to The Guns of August by Barbara W. TuchmanThe Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman for this prompt. ..."

Thank you because I am just now realizing that Roger Zelazny's The Guns of Avalon was referring back to this book with its title!! The plot is all about Corwin finding guns and preparing to start a war. Tuchman's book was published in 1969, and Zelazny's in 1972, so it would have been fresh in his (or his editor's) mind at that time.

message 41: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Nadine wrote: "Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Just finished listening to The Guns of August by Barbara W. TuchmanThe Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman for this..."

1962. Tuchman's book was published in 1962. In fact, were it not for this book having been read by JFK before the Cuban Missile Crisis, history might have been very different.

message 42: by Riley (new)

Riley (rileyfickett) I flew through Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz in July. Wow. It's a multi-National Book Award winner for a REASON. Such a great story of two boys coming of age and figuring themselves and their families out. While I felt the ending was rushed and only really for the reader's benefit, the story itself is wonderful and kept me reading for hours on end. You gotta love when a book does that to you.

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

message 43: by Riley (new)

Riley (rileyfickett) For some reason I never noticed the capitalization in "National Book Award" until recently.... Haha. It's won many national book awards but not a National Book Award! So I picked up Challenger Deep and will be reading it soon. I've heard fantastic things!

message 44: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (kiik) | 158 comments I loved Challenger Deep!!

message 45: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I read the 2014 winner for poetry, Faithful and Virtuous Night Faithful and Virtuous Night by Louise Glück by Louise Glück. I like poetry and it was nice and short so I can catch up on the challenge. Plus it was excellent. 4 stars

message 46: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Lusie wrote: "I was thinking of reading The Color Purple"

The Color Purple for me too! Stunning novel. Technically a re-read for me, but I can barely remember it and I think I was too young/immature to truly appreciate it the first time, as I can't believe I forgot a novel like this.

Did you like it Lusie?

message 47: by Christophe (new)

Christophe Bonnet | 212 comments I've been using the "prompts" discussion pretty randomly this year; I'll try to pick up the slack from now on, trying to make sense of my choices for each prompt.

I usually try to read one book in French and one in English for each prompt; I didn't do that for this prompt since I didn't want to pick from the NBA for translation and then read the original (the awards goes to the quality of translation more than for tha quality of the original work, I think). So, two american books for this one, one of short stories and one novel; one from the seventies and one from the nineties.

This one was relatively easy; I completed it in May, using books already on our shelves - part of my wife's home library!

✅✅2. A National Book Award winner:

Flannery O'Connor, The Complete Stories, Faber & Faber, 1991 (first published, 1971; NBA, 1972);

Philip Roth, Sabbath's Theater , Houghton Mifflin, 1995 (NBA, 1995).

The Complete Stories by Flannery O'Connor Sabbath's Theater by Philip Roth

message 48: by Amber (new)

Amber | 38 comments I read The Women of Brewster Place by Gloria Naylor.

message 49: by Kim (new)

Kim Erickson (madtroll) | 1 comments Passage to Ararat, by Michael J Arlen