Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's November

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2965 comments A Song of Shadows: John Connolly
Sometimes the magic is there. You will feel chills before you go 50 pages, and the hair will stand up on the back of your beck for the whole book. Charlie Parker does not just seek evil to destroy it, he invites evil to tangle with him. He has some surprising allies though. (A)

The Whites: Richard Price
This guy can teach Pelecanos about gritty urban reality. (B+)

The Promise: Robert Crais
He combines series here, bringing in Cole, Pike, and Maggie the dog with handler Scott. Nicely done with the characters well enough balanced, and always the threat of a big explosion. (B+)

The Crossing: Michael Connelly
Bosch goes to work for the defence, his brother in law, and does not feel good about it. But he finds his pursuit is against crooked cops, and he is not making friends in any quarter. (B+)

Exit Plan :Larry Bond
Special Ops in Iran. Edge of the seat action, very well done. (B+)

The Guilty: David Baldacci
Issues of body count and plausibility might have lowered the grade here, but Baldacci did manage to keely keep my interest through the whole story. Will RObie returns to his roots to find himself, but finds his father accused of murder. (B+)

The Survivor: Vince Flynn (and Kyle Mills)
He wrote better when he was alive. (B)

The Faithful Spy: Alex Berenson
CIA vs Al Qaeda in the early oughts. So much has not changed. (B)

Green Eyed Lady: Chuck Greaves
I’m not sure He knows what he wants to write. There is a stab at humorous mystery, but it is much more mystery than humor, and OK as a lawyer acting like PI kind of investigation. There are enough twists and turns to keep you far off balance as well as MacTagggert tries to sort out a mystery entwined with an art theft and senatorial election. (B)

Rogue Lawyer: John Grisham
A series of linked short stories, all of them morality tales. (B)

Crimson Shore: Preston/Child
Once upon a time, I found this to be a vibrant and innovative series, but time and familiarity have eroded my feelings, and many of the characters have gone away to leave only AXL Pendergast and his ward engaged in a series of almost tedious adventures. (B-)

message 2: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Great list!!!!!!

message 3: by Ann (last edited Nov 30, 2015 07:15PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14297 comments Barry: good month! I've just started Rogue Lawyer and am sorely tempted by the John Connolly: A Song of Shadows sounds so good. I am way behind in the Parker series, do you think I could skip ahead easily?

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month Barry.

message 5: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1114 comments I've never read a John Connolly book. Where should I start?

message 6: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2965 comments The John Connolly books definitely build on the legend book to book. You really need to read the first book to learn the background, and the rest you could go out of order, but would miss some crucial character development.

Parker, on the other hand, is mostly the same character in books that are close to stand alone. You don't lose much going out of order.

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1257 comments Before I even read everyone else's responses, I went to see how many books in the Parker series. I think Barry has turned several of us on to a new series! I've read several of the same books as you this month...although you read so many more. Great month for you! Will finish Rogue Lawyer tonight and have to re-request The Guilty since I had to return it unread. And I'm sure Vince Flynn would agree with you ;)

message 8: by Ann (last edited Dec 01, 2015 11:04PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14297 comments Thanks, Barry, I've read books 1, 2, 3 and 6, 7, 8 in the Charlie Parker series. I got stuck on The White Road (#4, no audio at the library, i have a print copy) and the library doesn't have book #5 at all.
Barry wrote: "The John Connolly books definitely build on the legend book to book. You really need to read the first book to learn the background, and the rest you could go out of order, but would miss some cruc..."

message 9: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1606 comments Great list Barry! I love Crais and Connelly so I will make sure to put them on the TBR pile!

message 10: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3599 comments A good month, as always!