Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2015-12 - Plays - Reviews

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8583 comments Mod
Please share your thoughts on any plays you've read this month...

Have you seen its adaptation and your thoughts on it?

message 2: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1369 comments So, thanks to Bookopoly I've already read my first book for this shelf, The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare. This was not my favorite Shakespeare, but it was a solid 3 stars anyway. I have to admit I prefer his tragedies over his comedies, and this one is certainly one of his best comedies: witty, funny and incredibly light. It certainly is very un-feminist, but one cannot very well expect feminism of Shakespeare, as he wrote 500 years ago. So the play plainly states that women must obey their husbands (and fathers, before being married), of whom they are absolute property. Well no, this is not funny, but I swear the play was! I would love to see it on stage.

message 3: by Susan (last edited Dec 02, 2015 06:25AM) (new)

Susan | 3441 comments Mod
I listened to The Vagina Monologues, and I read Hold Me Close. I really enjoyed both of them. The latter is a companion to Will Grayson, Will Grayson, and I think it would really be better to read it right when one is reading WGWG -- when you get to the part where Tiny is presenting his show. This is the show.

message 4: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1369 comments Susan, I'm really glad you enjoyed The Vagina Monologues, I read it twice and I think it's one of my favorite books.

message 5: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8583 comments Mod
Cyrano de Bergerac -really enjoyed this type of play (double identity/deception etc that aren't sinister though & rather comedic) except that the ending kills me! Why...!?!??!!

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3441 comments Mod
Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas is amazing! My review here .

message 7: by Bea (last edited Jan 28, 2016 07:05AM) (new)

Bea | 4521 comments Mod
I read Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard. I did not like it at all and gave it 2*, even though the ending explained the whole play to me. It was tedious and bizarre for most of the play. Definitely not my favorite.

Edit: I have since decided that I might have liked this play better if I had been familiar with Hamlet.

message 8: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4521 comments Mod
I finished Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williamsand gave it 3*. I liked this play much better than the other one I read as it had a story that I could follow. My edition had two endings; the one Tennesse Williams originally wrote and the one as performed in NY. I preferred the first.

message 9: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 3049 comments I have read August: Osage County and didn't like it at all. I gave it 1 star. I didn't like how it was written. I have decided a play just isn't for me. The story couldn't interest me either.