Dystopian Society discussion

December 2015 > December 2015 reads

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeinri) | 420 comments Mod
Sorry this is so late - I have been away. We will be reading Three as our YA book of the month. There was very little participation last month, so instead of a poll I will say...just read one or more of the books that we voted on that didn't win. Let us know what you are reading, get us excited to read it too!

I'll be re-reading The Road to High Saffron, and I'm still deciding on a classic book. Anyone have a suggestion we haven't read?

message 2: by Amiti (new)

Amiti Gonzalo | 2 comments enclave by ann aguirre

message 3: by Kane (new)

Kane | 2 comments The Road to High Saffron is one of my favourite books ever! It's not yet-another-dystopian story.

I hope you enjoy it.

message 4: by Jane (new)

Kane wrote: "The Road to High Saffron is one of my favourite books ever! It's not yet-another-dystopian story.

I hope you enjoy it."

A UK author and I were in a group discussion where people were bemoaning the lack of humor in dystopian /post-apocalyptic fiction, and someone mentioned Shades of Grey (the OTHER name, before a certain book became so famous....). I looked on Amazon and it wasn't available in the US, and tried my library. I then requested my library buy it - and months later got an e-mail that they had! I borrowed it for my Kindle and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

message 5: by Jane (new)

Well, I never did find another dystopian book to read this month - with the holiday, it's been crazy. I read The Mouse That Roared, and oldie. I remember the movie from years ago. I've also been reading Scientology books - currently reading Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief. I get on certain non-fiction kicks now and then - looking back, a year ago I read, in late December & early January, the following: Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory, The Great Hurricane: 1938, and The Johnstown Flood.

So - what have you all read this month?