Readers Unite | Thinking Thoughts Blog discussion

Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Emilie (new)

Emilie Haney (eahcreative) | 59 comments Mod
Hello everyone! My name is Emilie and I've started this group as a place for readers and book lovers to UNITE! I run a blog called Thinking Thoughts (check it out here: http://eahendryx.blogspot.com/) and thought that a Goodreads group would be a great space for us all to talk about our favorite reads and for me to post giveaways that I offer on the blog etc. I'm sure this group will grow and change over time with your input and suggestions, but for now let's start with some introduction!

Share 3 things about yourself that we couldn't get from reading your profile and one of your favorite books you've read so far this year.

1) I'm a professional photographer in addition to being a writer (you can see my photos here: www.eacreativephotography.com)

2) I have this thing about indirect lighting...I just love it. I leave Christmas lights up year round.

3) I'm an only child!

Book: Seek and Hide by Amanda G. Stevens

message 2: by Kari (new)

Kari Trumbo (karitrumbo) | 2 comments Hello Emilie!
3 things you can't tell from my profile...hmmm.
1. I love to sing and often have the radio on my local Christian station.
2. Christmas is my favorite time of year. I love snow flakes and fires burning my wood stove.
3. I'm a reasonably private person, though I try to be friendly and open at least online. :)

~Kari

message 3: by Emilie (last edited Nov 30, 2015 06:47PM) (new)

Kari wrote: "Hello Emilie!
3 things you can't tell from my profile..."

Hi Kari! Thanks for sharing - I love to sing too :D

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie  Webb | 7 comments Hi all, I thought I might try a group and see how it goes. Um 3 things not in my profile, I don't believe I filled mine out yet lol but here goes 1) I am interested in tons of subjects, really it's like an illness 2) I love being a mom 3) my life is messy, I should write a book about it, but hopefully that will make the conversation interesting. I am still working on putting all my books in so my profile is incomplete.

message 5: by Emilie (new)

Julie
Thanks so much for joining my group! It's newly formed so there isn't much going on but I hope it'll be a lot of fun :)

message 6: by Amanda (last edited Nov 30, 2015 09:39PM) (new)

Amanda G. Stevens (amandagstevens) | 6 comments Hi, everybody! I'm not in a lot of groups, but Emilie is awesome, so here I am. Anticipating excellent book discussions. :)

3 Things:

1.) Turtles are the coolest. I don't have a ceramic collection of them or anything--I'm talking about the actual live reptile. I will probably have a box turtle for a pet within the next year or two, because I keep coming back to wanting one.

2.) Dinner's not over until dessert is served. That whole "let's wait a few hours for dessert" thing makes NO sense to my brain.

3.) Love, love music. Have been building my music library almost my whole life. Joining a CD club was one of the first things I did when I got my first job. At family parties, I'm the DJ.

Book: Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda G. Stevens (amandagstevens) | 6 comments Emilie wrote: ... Book: Seek and Hide by Amanda G. Stevens

Also, this makes my night. :) Thanks, Emilie!

message 8: by Emilie (new)

Amanda

Happy to have you aboard Amanda! I had no idea you liked turtles so much - excited for your "real" one! I'm 100% with you on the dessert part, and I'm a music lover myself! So glad to have you here as part of my group :D

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie  Webb | 7 comments Amanda wrote: "Hi, everybody! I'm not in a lot of groups, but Emilie is awesome, so here I am. Anticipating excellent book discussions. :)

3 Things:

1.) Turtles are the coolest. I don't have a ceramic collectio..."

Haha, Number 2 is fantastic! I have been know to order dessert first,or only, before dinner. I really struggle with my sweet tooth. I have the bootie to prove it lol but I am slowly winning that battle, with a few treats. Do you have a favorite dessert?

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie  Webb | 7 comments Kari wrote: "Hello Emilie!
2. Christmas is my favorite time of year. I love snow flakes ..."

I listen to my christian station a lot too. I just love how the song I need seems to be on.

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary Hamilton | 2 comments Hi Emilie,
1. I've not had a television since I've been married (almost 34 years).
2. I have a snowman collection. (figurines, not real snowmen!)
3. I hate to cook, but usually prefer my own cooking to eating out.

Book: Cynthia Ruchti's All My Belongings

message 12: by Emilie (new)

Mary

Thanks for stopping by Mary! Wow, no TV? That's awesome :)

message 13: by Amanda (last edited Dec 01, 2015 10:27PM) (new)

Amanda G. Stevens (amandagstevens) | 6 comments Julie wrote: "Amanda wrote:

There's no way I could choose a favorite dessert. It's easier to say what I don't like, because that would be birthday cake (too sugary, therefore bland) and anything coconut. I'll devour pretty much anything else. ;) Anybody else have a favorite?

message 14: by Amanda (last edited Dec 01, 2015 10:30PM) (new)

Amanda G. Stevens (amandagstevens) | 6 comments Julie wrote: "Kari wrote: "Hello Emilie!

I don't listen to current Christian music, but I have playlists of 80s and 90s Christian that get a LOT of play time. Classic CCM is such good stuff, creatively written both musically and lyrically, and the older I get the more I come back to it. Anybody else here grow up on Steve Camp, David Meece, Twila Paris, SCC, etc? (Most Christians I know have never heard of those first two, which makes me sad; they're brilliant.)

And then in a class all his own is Rich Mullins.

message 15: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 2 comments Hi Emilie! I'm glad you formed this group. Hmmm...three things about me not in my profile. Well, I didn't put much in my profile, so that shouldn't be too hard!
1) Only child here as well!
2) I love playing games...board games, dice games, anything I can play with my kids and hubby
3) I love road trips, but I also love being home with my family and just hanging out.

The really hard question for me to answer is naming a favorite book...there are definitely a few favorites at the top of my list and it is really hard to choose! But, here goes...
The Mistress of Tall Acre by Laura Frantz

message 16: by Emilie (new)

Brittany
Glad you're joining us here Brittany! And yea for another only child! I also love games and roadtrips :D And it IS so hard to pick just one favorite, that's why I made it "one of" because I know us readers can't say definitively just one favorite ;)

message 17: by Julie (new)

Julie  Webb | 7 comments Amanda wrote: "Julie wrote: "Amanda wrote:

There's no way I could choose a favorite dessert. It's easier to say what I don't like, because that would be birthday cake (too sugary, therefore bland) and anything ..."

I can't really say I have a favorite based on taste.I have a pretty good collection of cookbooks and baking books (yet to be entered on my lists, sigh, slowly getting there) and some mad skill in the kitchen. I rarely get the chance these days. If I had to pick something it would be New York style cheese cake. It was the original reason I bought spring form pans but more importantly it instantly transports me back to being six, watching for my dad to come home from work in the Las Vegas heat. He would often arrive with icy cold cheesecake, despite never having a.c.in his truck. We would sit and devour it, together, before dinner, usually in silence. Bliss

message 18: by Julie (new)

Julie  Webb | 7 comments Amanda wrote: "Julie wrote: "Kari wrote: "Hello Emilie!

I don't listen to current Christi..."

Your right about not hearing of some of those. I will have to look into them. I was in a different, somewhat rebellious, phase during the '90's. Alas time lost but the Lord always turns these things into His good :)

message 19: by Julie (new)

Julie  Webb | 7 comments Brittany wrote: "Hi Emilie! I'm glad you formed this group. Hmmm...three things about me not in my profile. Well, I didn't put much in my profile, so that shouldn't be too hard!
1) Only child here as well!
2) I lov..."

Nice to met you. I am not an only child but I definitely am the other two. I we lost power we be entertained for ages lol.

message 20: by Kari (new)

Kari Trumbo (karitrumbo) | 2 comments Julie wrote: "Kari wrote: "Hello Emilie!
2. Christmas is my favorite time of year. I love..."

Isn't that the truth!

message 21: by Paulo (last edited Dec 03, 2015 03:16PM) (new)

Paulo Ramos (pauloramos) | 1 comments Hi everyone,

Once upon a time there was a kid who wanted to publish a book.

He soon realized there weren't many stories to tell (he was very young). Since then that kid has traveled around the world. He met exciting people, had some really cool jobs (and some not as cool :) fell in love, made a lot of friends, visited different cities and countries.

He managed to complete his research: life!

Now, this kid is ready to tell his stories. In all fairness, he's not a kid anymore. Fortunately, he was able to maintain a youthful perspective on life.

I'm thrilled to be a part of the Goodreads community! All the best for you!
Feel free to check my book entitled "Like, Comment, Share: life in the age of Social Media"

Kind regards,

Paulo Ramos

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda G. Stevens (amandagstevens) | 6 comments Julie wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Julie wrote: "Kari wrote:

Julie, I definitely recommend all of them and others if you want more recommendations! If you can only choose one at the moment, Rich Mullins is the biggest must-have on my short list.

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda G. Stevens (amandagstevens) | 6 comments Julie wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Julie wrote: "Amanda wrote:

There's no way I could choose a favorite dessert. It's easier to say what I don't like, because that would be birthday cake (too sugary, therefore bland..."

I love that story! And no wonder you now eat dessert before dinner sometimes. :)

message 24: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 2 comments Julie wrote: "Brittany wrote: "Hi Emilie! I'm glad you formed this group. Hmmm...three things about me not in my profile. Well, I didn't put much in my profile, so that shouldn't be too hard!
1) Only child here ..."

True!

message 25: by Julie (new)

Julie  Webb | 7 comments Paulo wrote: "Hi everyone,

Once upon a time there was a kid who wanted to publish a book.

He soon realized there weren't many stories to tell (he was very young). Since then that kid has traveled around the w..."

Nice to meet you. Someday I hope to publish as well, gratz!

message 26: by Corrine (new)

Corrine Lussier | 4 comments Oooh! ooh! This is exciting!!!
Okay okay. 3 things...

1. I'm a part of Hogwarts Running Club because I love all things Harry Potter and run virtual HP themed 5k's

2. I'm an artist. Love to paint and draw.

3. Fourth of July is my favorite holiday. I love summer and fireworks and BBQ's.

oh dear favorite book. I don't think I really have one but if I had to choose it would be Till We Have Faces by CS Lewis.

message 27: by Emilie (new)

Corrine wrote: "Oooh! ooh! This is exciting!!! ..." Yea! Happy to have you here Corrine!

message 28: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Mbewe (jennettembewe) | 5 comments Hi Emilie!

1. I love board games or any games in general.
2. I love rocks.
3. I have two young kiddos.

My favorite book I've read this year so far: Artemis Fowl: The Last Guardian. The eight and final book in that series. *sob*

message 29: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Mbewe (jennettembewe) | 5 comments Corrine wrote: "Oooh! ooh! This is exciting!!!
Okay okay. 3 things...

1. I'm a part of Hogwarts Running Club because I love all things Harry Potter and run virtual HP themed 5k's

2. I'm an artist. Love to paint..."

HP themed 5Ks!!!! I ran my first 5K last year. I might attempt one again if it was Harry Potter. What do you mean by "virtual"?

message 30: by Emilie (new)

J.L. Happy to see you here :D

message 31: by Annette (new)

Annette O'Hare (annette_ohare) | 2 comments Emilie wrote: "Hello everyone! My name is Emilie and I've started this group as a place for readers and book lovers to UNITE! I run a blog called Thinking Thoughts (check it out here: http://eahendryx.blogspot.co..."

Hi Emilie, hope I'm doing this right. I'm excited to be a part of your group! My 3 things:
1. I drink two cans of Diet Coke on ice, every morning.
2. I became so obsessed about finding the "perfect cup" for my morning soda that I now only drink out of plastic Solo cups.
3. I kind of have the same obsession about finding the "perfect purse" but I haven't given up on that quest...not yet!!
Favorite book of 2015 was Wreath A Girl by: Judy Christie :)

message 32: by Emilie (new)

Annette
Welcome Annette! And that's pretty funny - hey, at least you found the "right" cup :D Happy to have you here!

message 33: by Corrine (new)

Corrine Lussier | 4 comments J.L. wrote: "Corrine wrote: "Oooh! ooh! This is exciting!!!
Okay okay. 3 things...

2. I'm an artis..."

It's online. So basically lets say race day is February 6th. You'll have from midnight to midnight to complete your race. You do the 5k on your time and when you can. It is the best! Look up Hogwarts Running Club on Facebook.

message 34: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (azech) | 4 comments hello! just jumped in :)
1. I'm extremely picky about my hot chocolate. The best is truffle fudge from Dove Discoveries
2. I enjoy doing puzzles but never find the time. I have to settle for my 3 year old's 48 piece Disney puzzles
3. I'm a big football fan. I simply have to root for the hometown: go vikes!
so far, my favorite raff had probably been Illuminae! Fast, different, intriguing

message 35: by Emilie (new)

Hey Alyssa - Welcome! OMG now I want hot chocolate haha :) I haven't done a puzzle in a long time but they are definitely fun! And though I'm not much of a football fan I can appreciate the sport! And I really need to get my hands on Illuminae...*sigh*

message 36: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (capturingidea) | 1 comments Hi Everyone,

Alexis here! I'm an author/blogger/writer/editor and foodie! :)

My first book was published in Sept. 2013. It is an inspirational romance novella titled "Hope in My Heart: A Collection of Heartwarming Stories." You can learn more about it by visiting my official website, http://www.alexisagoring.com

I'd love for you to visit my "God is Love" blog too! :) Here's the address, http://capturingtheidea.blogspot.com

Three things about me that you cannot get from reading my profile are:

1) A five-star luxury hotel in London shares my maiden name. It's called The Goring Hotel which is where Princess Kate Middleton spent her last night as a single lady (24 hours before The Royal Wedding).

2) I have a passion for photography and dream of being able to afford a Canon DSLR camera.

3) Music is my muse! :)

Looking forward to getting to know all of you here in this group created by Emilie! :)

message 37: by Beth (new)

Beth Erin (betherin02) Hi! This is my first group experience so we'll see if I remember to come back, lol!

Three things about me not found in my profile:
1) I've recently and whole-heartedly reentered the wonderful world of pleasure reading after a 10 year (baby-raising) hiatus. I'm hoping the increased reading will be a cure for mommy-brain.
2) My husband and I each have German ancestry on our father's side. Hubby also has a Russian born great-great-grandfather, I don't know exactly why but I find this very appealing.
3) Someday I want to live in a tiny home or converted school bus! If we could achieve this goal while the kids are still at home, I'd settle for something less than 1,000 square feet.

Nice to meet ya'll!

message 38: by Beth (new)

Beth Erin (betherin02) Forgot to list a book! My favorite new to me author this year is T.I. Lowe and I just loved Goodbyes and Second Chances

message 39: by DJ (new)

DJ *Paperbacks & Frybread* (paperbacksfrybread) | 1 comments Hi Y'all! I'm Dominique and I'm super excited to be apart of this group!
I'm a wife and stay at home/homeschooling mama of 4, and I'm also a literary promoter/book blogger over @ Mama Bear Reads (http//:www.mamaandthebears.com). Three things not in my profile:

1. I'm a huge Doctor Who fan.

2. I spent my 21st birthday at the Taj Mahal. I was on a medical mission trip, and my birthday fell on our one day off.

3. My favorite book of all time is, To Kill a Mockingbird. My youngest son who turns 1 in March, his name is Ollie Finch. I wanted so bad to name him Atticus-but hubby wouldn't have it! So we compromised and used "Finch" as his middle name. Ollie came from watching the credits of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 1 and seeing it come across the screen. Hubby loved it so it stuck! My favorite book I've read this year has been The Wrath & the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh.

Nice to meet all of y'all!!

message 40: by Emilie (new)

Alexis wrote: "Hi Everyone,

Alexis here! I'm an author/blogger/writer/editor and foodie! :)

My first book was published in Sept. 2013. It is an inspirational romance novella titled "Hope in My Heart: A Collecti..."

Love this Alexis! I like the story behind your name and the hotel :D

message 41: by Emilie (new)

Beth wrote: "Hi! This is my first group experience so we'll see if I remember to come back, lol!

Three things about me not found in my profile:
1) I've recently and whole-heartedly reentered the wonderful worl..."

Ha! Living in a BUS? That's awesome! I like the shows about the tiny houses...though all I can think about is "where would I put my books?" ;)

message 42: by Emilie (new)

Dominique wrote: "Hi Y'all! I'm Dominique and I'm super excited to be apart of this group!
I'm a wife and stay at home/homeschooling mama of 4, and I'm also a literary promoter/book blogger over @ Mama Bear Reads (h..."

Hey Dominique! Welcome to the group! And I am SOOOO with you on the Dr. Who :D

message 43: by Emily (new)

Emily Conrad (emilyconradauthor) | 2 comments Hi everyone!
1. We're currently house shopping, a process I'm hoping will take long enough for the ground to thaw so I can dig up at least part of one of my peony plants. Gorgeous white blooms with just a couple deep pink lines in the center.
2. I also love photography, though on a strictly amateur level. I just took some close ups of flowers this morning :)
3. I'm a writer who usually uses my laptop, but when I switch to pen and paper, my favorite notebooks to write in are usually from foreign countries. French-rule is is the best, but I have one from China right now that I'm loving.

message 44: by Emilie (new)

Emily wrote: "Hi everyone!
1. We're currently house shopping, a process I'm hoping will take long enough for the ground to thaw so I can dig up at least part of one of my peony plants. Gorgeous white blooms wit..."

Welcome to the group Emily (by the way...fantastic name *hehe*). And I've never heard of French Ruled...Googling! Good luck with the house search and I'm looking forward to getting to know you better!

message 45: by Emily (new)

Emily Conrad (emilyconradauthor) | 2 comments Emilie wrote: "Emily wrote: "Hi everyone!
1. We're currently house shopping, a process I'm hoping will take long enough for the ground to thaw so I can dig up at least part of one of my peony plants. Gorgeous wh..."

Google probably filled you in, but here: http://blog.shopwritersbloc.com/notep...
They actually write a lot with pens that have calligraphy-like tips, too! I just use a normal gel pen, though :)
Looking forward to getting to know everyone here, too!

message 46: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Fuhr (ashleyfuhr) | 1 comments Hello Everyone!

1. I started my own non-profit in 2008 called The Art of Encouragement. We send handwritten Christmas cards to veterans in VA hospitals and state nursing homes. We've sent over 65,000 cards to date.
2. I walk annually in the Susan G. Komen 3-DAY (60 miles over the course of 3 days). I have zero athletic ability, and 60 miles is a lot harder than it seems!
3. I'm trying to finish a manuscript this year. Ive started a few, but am pushing myself to finish at least 1 first draft this year.

Im behind on my book reading this year, hut my favorite so far has been Every Fifteen Minutes by Lisa Scottoline.

message 47: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 5 comments Hey, y'all, I'm Aerykah. :)

3 things about me that you couldn't get from my profile, eh? Hm.....

1- Though folks online often don't realize this, I am very much an introvert.
2- I listen to Christian music all the time & love to sing along! But I also love Country, Jazz, Classic & Operatic Pop, etc.
3- My favorite places to read include (but are not limited to): bed, trampoline, & pool deck.

One of my favorite books so far this year:
Candle in the Darkness by Lynn Austin --a longtime favorite of mine. I'm currently doing a buddy read of it with a friend here on GR. This is my 5th time through this book. :)

message 48: by Emilie (new)

Ashley wrote: "Hello Everyone!

1. I started my own non-profit in 2008 called The Art of Encouragement. We send handwritten Christmas cards to veterans in VA hospitals and state nursing homes. We've sent over 65,..."

Oh wow Ashley - I LOVE "The Art of Encouragement". Wow! I'm a big supporter of the military and our veterans and this is such a fantastic idea! Also - 60 miles? Girl, you're crazy ;)

message 49: by Emilie (new)

Aerykah wrote: "Hey, y'all, I'm Aerykah. :)

3 things about me that you couldn't get from my profile, eh? Hm.....

1- Though folks online often don't realize this, I am very much an introvert.
2- I listen to Chris..."

Ahhh Aerykah - I would just love to have a trampoline to read on *sigh*. And I get you with being an introvert. I do love people, but I need my me-quiet-alone time. Comes with being an only child I think?

message 50: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 5 comments Yes, the trampoline is quite nice-- until the kids decide they want to join me. ;P
Hm... I don't know about the only child part. I have 6 siblings-- not to mention all the other non-blood-siblings that are like family & who were at our house all the time. haha! ;P Having alone time was just always so rare!

« previous 1